Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 08:22 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,779,804 times

Advertisements

Charles you are absolutely right. In my opinion he has earned the right to be an unemployed educator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 08:39 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,463,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
WoW, I just can't imagine living the life you live and your extreme views on the world. I know NO parents that "punish" their kids for not believing in Santa--where do you get this crap?? Oh, and historically Santa is real, St. Nicholas, heard of him?
Scientifically, it's easy to deduce there is no "Santa Clause". But when people say the spirit of Santa, they're not talking about a ghostly spirit. When looking up Saint Nicholas, you realize the gift giving to children is in the spirit of Saint Nicholas. True, some pagan influences were added to convert the pagans, but that doesn't make the idea of bringing a joy and smile to children a bad thing. We know there's no witches (flying broomstick kind), vampires, frankensteins, or other monsters but yet we still celebrate Halloween.

I don't know of many workplaces where his signs would have been appropriate. Even if none of the high school kids were offended, that doesn't make it right to post such messages at your place of employment. You hate Santa and Christmas, so what. That doesn't give you the right to post upon your work station such material. Don't think he should be fired for this either.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:16 AM

1,122 posts, read 2,311,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
WoW, I just can't imagine living the life you live and your extreme views on the world. I know NO parents that "punish" their kids for not believing in Santa--where do you get this crap?? Oh, and historically Santa is real, St. Nicholas, heard of him?
Most religious historians agree that the "real" St. Nick was not real. In fact, if you look a the history, people even debate when he was died, which for the time period when these things were recorded, is quite unusual. They can not decide if he died in 345 or 352 AD. During the time that he was invented, if you look at what else was going on on during the time period, it becomes quite obvious. Hold Nikar was a pagan God that was worshipped on Dec. 5th (which is now called St. Nickolas Day). He was invented to replace this pagan God. The church was wanting to wipe out this day but no matter how they tried, they could not. Those pagans would not give up this tradition. The day included tons eating, drinking and loads of sex so they they made up St. Nick to replace all that and began to replace the traditions with healthier festive activity.

Even Dec. 25th was a pagan holiday. When the church could not force pagans to stop celebrating it was declared a mircle that they suddenly disovered that Christ was born that day, which even my own church as a child recognised as a fallacy.

I always thought it was very obvious, since I was a child. Didnn't everyone know the truth? I guess some people prefer ingorance.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:28 AM

1,122 posts, read 2,311,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Wallace View Post
Whether Santa is real or not or kids believe he's real or not is not precisely the issue here, I think.

The fact is, the teacher behaved with an astonishing lack of professionalism.

1. It's inappropriate to have any posters mentioning pedophilia on public display in a school. The only possible exception I can think of is a "stranger danger" poster, and quite obviously, posters of that nature do not go into detail about what kind of "danger" a "stranger" can pose to a young child.

2. It's inappropriate having posters mentioning Satan. The only possible exception I can think of is maybe some poster about Dante's Inferno, but that's seriously about it.
Many students would find a poster mentioning Satan (outside of a literary or historical context) to be offensive to their religious beliefs or lack thereof. It's simply not worth the hassle.

3. It's inappropriate to have posters referring to prostitution for basically any reason. I cannot think of one reason why that subject would be at all appropriate to put on a poster for display.

It's as if he were trying to get fired.
I agree wholeheartedly with you but for number three I have a reason. Most kids kidnapped for sex slavery are between the ages of 9 and 15. There should be some sort of education to help prevent these children from this as it is a much bigger problem in the US than people want to admit.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:16 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,182,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flik_becky View Post
I always thought it was very obvious, since I was a child. Didnn't everyone know the truth? I guess some people prefer ingorance.
I think there's a pretty big difference between ignorance and fantasy.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:54 PM

37,769 posts, read 40,907,997 times
It doesn't even matter that the topic is Santa. It's sleazy behavior for a supposed teacher. Where are they getting these teachers from anyway?

Old 12-07-2009, 09:38 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,151,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
It doesn't even matter that the topic is Santa. It's sleazy behavior for a supposed teacher. Where are they getting these teachers from anyway?
By what can be observed on a daily basis in most media venues, I'd have to say M-TV University.

It was inappropriate and frankly, IMHO, just plain stupid - period.

As far as perpetrating any "Santa Fraud" goes, I see no reason to believe that a little fantasy at age 6 is going to cause irreparable harm at 26.

In fact, most of the "fantasy" literature, movies and video games now are so incredibly graphic and lifelike, that I'd venture to say they certainly can and often do cause "psychological issues" that reach far beyond the realm of the concept of a fat man in a red suit giving away presents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education