Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 12:08 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,692,355 times

Advertisements

A parent can homeschool any portion of his/her child's education and send them to school for whatever they want. The homeschool portion isn't graded at school and does not reflect on report cards.

My daughter goes to high school part time and is homeschooled part time. The only grades on her report card are for the classes she is in school. She will not be graduating from the school and does not need to meet their graduation requirements. She goes to community college (She's in her junior year) and will continue next year, going to high school part time again.

It works out beautifully because she can go to the school for art and languages and study any area of interest she wishes here at home.

This way is sooooo much better than being under the control of anyone at school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 01:57 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,376,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Can you just work with him at home on Reading/LA? Or can he skip a grade in those subjects? I was in a similar situation as your kid growing up, but with Math instead of Reading/LA. (I am 24 now, but this happened to me growing up) In middle school I was allowed to skip two grades of math classes. In the beginning of 6th grade I took a test and skipped over 6th grade math. I did the same thing next year, so I took '7th grade math' in 6th grade and '9th grade math' in 7th grade. I don't know if your school district allows something similar, but for the school I was in, I wasn't allowed to test out of grades for any subject until middle school. Would he have the option to do that at some point? If next year he could take 7th grade reading/LA instead of 6th, that might challenge him a little more.

Just a thought! Good luck with whatever you do.
Thanks for the feedback... We will definitely look at the subject-grade skipping option for next school year. He was in the school gifted program for both Reading and Math which is supposedly 2-3 years advanced. The Math is excellent and really challenges him. However, the Reading/LA was not meeting his needs and the teacher was not a good fit.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
A parent can homeschool any portion of his/her child's education and send them to school for whatever they want. The homeschool portion isn't graded at school and does not reflect on report cards..
I think this may vary by state or school district?

How does the arrangement with the community college work? Will your daughter receive a H.S. degree? Will she receive an Associates degree from the community college and then transfer to a university?

If my son continues at the same pace in math, he'll probably need to take his advanced H.S. math courses at the community college. Or, maybe he'll continue with the virtual school option...

Old 04-29-2010, 02:46 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,982,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post

How does the arrangement with the community college work? Will your daughter receive a H.S. degree? Will she receive an Associates degree from the community college and then transfer to a university?

If my son continues at the same pace in math, he'll probably need to take his advanced H.S. math courses at the community college. Or, maybe he'll continue with the virtual school option...
It does vary by state... in CT, it's up to each local district to decide if they want to offer any classes at all to homeschoolers, and most don't.

You can, however, enroll a homeschooled student in a community college, which is what a lot of homeschoolers do.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:12 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,692,355 times
Quote:

This may help: HSLDA | National Center Issues Analysis: Equal Access: Participation of Home Schooled Students in Public School Activities

There are some states that don't allow homeschooled students to participate with academics or sports in their public schools.

My daughter won't graduate from high school. She will informally finish with her high school studies at the end of next year. She is not pursuing an Associates because those don't translate into Bachelors without losing credits. She will continue to take general education credits at the Community College, then after next year travel some and work a couple years, then transfer her credits into a university. She's not in a huge hurry for more college, and has plenty of time to transfer and finish.

I have friends in another state who homeschooled their two kids. They both attended a community college for the last half of their high school years and are both now attending a university. The girl started college at 15 studying nursing.

Community college is a wonderful resource for kids who are ahead of their peers, like your son. Call for catalogue and check out what's available in the math department. It doesn't take much to get into the classes. If you call the guidance office and let them know you have an accelerated math student and would like him to take a class, they will help you figure out where to start.

Also, call a nearby university. Sometimes they have math programs for accelerated kids, especially in the summer but sometimes during the school year.

Nothing is ever too complicated to get what you're looking for.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:33 AM

Just thought I would give an update on our situation....

We just received results from the school's battery of assessment tests and there was a DRAMATIC improvement in my son's Reading scores. In just 4 months (Jan-April) of partial homeschooling, he moved from being at 83% in Reading (on the Natl. SAT test) to 96%. This partial homeschooling is really working out... A happier kid who now loves Reading/Writing and who has had major improvement in test scores. Not sure what we'll do next year...

Old 11-21-2011, 11:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,100 times
So refreshing to find that someone has been allowed to partially homeschool at a CPS magnet school! I was told by a homeschooling dept rep at the Board of Ed that they'd never heard of anyone wanting to homeschool part-time.

Two of my 3 kids are at a great, much loved magnet school (Wildwood) & I want to be able to do some outside the classroom work with one of them. I was thinking one day a week, or a couple 1/2 days a week. I'm too overwhelmed to "supplement" after school; it's not at all fair to him, the other 2 kids, or to me. But, I've been concerned about getting kicked out of the magnet school because of truancy.
Could you please reply back or even contact me directly. I'd really really like to talk to you more about this.
Thanks!

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-23-2011 at 06:22 AM.. Reason: Please use the DM feature for contacting poster - do not post e-mail address

Old 11-22-2011, 10:00 PM

102 posts, read 171,345 times
Quote:
p.s. I forgot to mention that there is a new student in my son's Reading class with extreme ADHD (the parent told us he is trying to get the right medication/therapy). This child has been very distracting to my son and the other students in the class. This may also be affecting his performance and the amount of attention my child receives from his teacher. When I observed the class, the teacher spent a great deal of time trying to control the one student. Another reason why it may be better to remove my son from the class.
This is the part that jumped out at me. She very well may be a slacker, or maybe she DID have a Grand Plan, but a key issue in school is the other kids thrown into the mix. I have taught plenty of kids with behavior issues and that's just part of the job, but if there is an extreme distraction, it can make it hard to do anything. IMO that's a big argument in favor of homeschooling.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DugganB View Post
So refreshing to find that someone has been allowed to partially homeschool at a CPS magnet school! I was told by a homeschooling dept rep at the Board of Ed that they'd never heard of anyone wanting to homeschool part-time.

Two of my 3 kids are at a great, much loved magnet school (Wildwood) & I want to be able to do some outside the classroom work with one of them. I was thinking one day a week, or a couple 1/2 days a week. I'm too overwhelmed to "supplement" after school; it's not at all fair to him, the other 2 kids, or to me. But, I've been concerned about getting kicked out of the magnet school because of truancy.
Could you please reply back or even contact me directly. I'd really really like to talk to you more about this.
Thanks!
I sent you a DM.... At the time I partially homeschooled, we were in a Chicago suburban district. I am not sure how CPS handles it, but there are some recent IL. statutes that support partial homeschooling and virtual schooling. Also, I used the same reading/writing curriculum from the Chicago Virtual School (www.K12.com) though I supplemented quite a bit and my son also took a Northwestern online class (www.ctd.northwestern.edu/) which was excellent. You may want to look into the Chicago Virtual School (paid by our tax dollars) though I have heard mixed reviews about it.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 11-23-2011 at 03:19 PM..

Old 11-23-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinkygirl View Post
This is the part that jumped out at me. She very well may be a slacker, or maybe she DID have a Grand Plan, but a key issue in school is the other kids thrown into the mix. I have taught plenty of kids with behavior issues and that's just part of the job, but if there is an extreme distraction, it can make it hard to do anything. IMO that's a big argument in favor of homeschooling.
Interestingly, this tenured teacher left last year (I heard through the grapevine she was "reassigned" to an administrative job). I think that is telling and do believe she was indeed a slacker. I just could not bear that my child would spend an entire (formative reading) year with a teacher like that. His education is too important.

My son is back at full-time public school and all of his current teachers are excellent. I think partial homeschooling was an excellent approach to a bad situation. I believe it is more common in some states, such as California, but I hope this option becomes available to more people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education