Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 09:19 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,725,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
You might want to look at the educational requirements in each state. It seems that I have heard that some New England states require a masters degree to teach. In Arkansas, and many other states around here, you only need a bachelors degree and many of the teachers could be replaced by the folks working at the DMV and the students wouldn't even notice. I am amazed by the lack of professionalism in the public schools today.

All of that to say, "Move to a New England state."
I agree. Massachusetts, Vermont and New Hampshire probably have the best schools in the country. At one time so did California but like everything else in that state, the schools are going to hell too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 09:26 AM
Status: "In like a lion, out like a hippopotamus" (set 22 hours ago)

4,988 posts, read 10,655,624 times
Quote:
You might want to look at the educational requirements in each state. It seems that I have heard that some New England states require a masters degree to teach. In Arkansas, and many other states around here, you only need a bachelors degree and many of the teachers could be replaced by the folks working at the DMV and the students wouldn't even notice. I am amazed by the lack of professionalism in the public schools today.

All of that to say, "Move to a New England state."
Yes and no. I taught at a public school with only a bachelor's and was much more knowledgable and professional than many of the other teachers, who had Master's degrees, more experience and sometimes even Phd's. A lot of people equate education with formation, which is where the cconfusion lies.
In French culture, education is what you learn at home (personal values and principles) while formation is your level of formal education and training. And the one does not necessarily equal the other, which was what I experienced teaching at a public high school (and why I no longer teach at a public high school).
The unprofessionalism--even among the "educated" teachers but also among parents and admin--was staggering. Much of the time, they were behaving no better (or even worse) than the students.
However, I wasn't teaching in a New England state. But when I interviewed with schools in the NE area, I found their approaches and attitudes to be much more professional; I also found that the students valued education more and exercised higher social values and maturity.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:21 PM

648 posts, read 1,639,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiteacher View Post
I am a teacher in Florida and we are sorely needing good teachers. That being said, I myself only have a bachelors degree. I know of other teachers that have masters degrees that are very poor teachers. The measure should be observations of the outcome of the person not the paperwork behind the person; which is what a degree is. Basic tests can show how much a person knows, but, that doesn't show how well a person can transfer that to those they are attempting to teach.

Yeah, I live and went to school here.. that is why we are looking to moving to a state with a better education system.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
I am amazed to see Arkansas tied for #10. I am guessing that the "funding" portion of the grade helped us a lot.

yeah, i also found it strange..

Old 12-28-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
That seems like overkill to move to another state whose average school is better than the average school in Florida.

It reminds me of the example of useless averages -- put your head in an oven and your feet in a freezer, and on average, you're just fine.

If you don't like the school your kids go to, move to another neighborhood, put them in private school, or see if you can do something about it yourself (PTA, etc.) There isn't a magical state where everyone is both smart and liberal.
well, florida has many many other issues.. but for this case i am focused on the education part.. we wouldn't just be moving because of one school.. education is not high on the priority list here and we want to live in a place that does value the future..

Old 12-28-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Much more info is needed to accurately answer your question. States do not educate people (unless you consider a state university).

Are you looking for education for a child (K-12)?
Are you looking for a university education?
Are you looking for tech sector? California and WA would lead here.

Your question is much too vague to give any type of useful answer. Why dont you give us some more info?

well for my child it would be k-12, however colleges are important also.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
I repped Aconite for you, SJ.

IMHO looking for the best state is too broad. However, you can look at school districts. Even better, closely examine each school's "report card." I know that in my district, each individual school's report card is posted on the district website. You can examine school demographics, free lunch statistics, standardized test scores, graduation rates, etc.
yeah, i was told to do that. Will take a lot of work, however - i'm just trying to get a feel for the states that will put money into education.. not like here and keep taking money away and closing schools because saying to me that i'm sorry but even though you child is our future, i don't really care if he/she knows anything or will have the tools to succeed. let alone go to college.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:11 AM

413 posts, read 1,163,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Hmmm....the OP asked which states values education AND are also progressive. I do not mean to disregard any resident of the state of Virginia, but when I think of progressive states, Virginia does not come to mind. Am I wrong?

Virginia may have great schools, but the OP did not ask for a list of the best schools.
You must not know VA that well to make that assessment. Not only do they provide good funding for public schools, they also house one of the best community college systems in the country. Add the numerous public colleges around the state, you definitely have a top 10 state.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:19 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,210,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis16 View Post
You must not know VA that well to make that assessment. Not only do they provide good funding for public schools, they also house one of the best community college systems in the country. Add the numerous public colleges around the state, you definitely have a top 10 state.
Typically the schools with the highest per pupil funding are NOT your better schools, usually they are the worst schools, why, more special ed funding being spent. I would not trust any ratings that rate on how much is spent per student because it is misleading. Our district is one of the best in the country and we rank right in the middle of our state for per pupil funding. The district in our state with the highest per pupil funding is the worst district in the state. This may explain why Arkansas is on the list and VA is not.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:45 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,738,021 times
This might help you, Blue's Love....Best states for US education ratings:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

I admire that you put such concern into your children's education!

Last edited by Yac; 02-23-2010 at 07:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education