Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 07:03 PM

648 posts, read 1,641,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
This might help you, Blue's Love....Best states for US education ratings:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

I admire that you put such concern into your children's education!

thank you..

Last edited by Yac; 02-23-2010 at 07:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 07:31 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,123,802 times
Wow, I am teaching in VA now, coming from CO and I go to bed most night in tears because my heart breaks for my kiddos because its so bad. I haven't met any teachers yet who think the school system is good- we are a good 10 years behind the rest of the nation. There is a good smoke and mirrors act too. I have a kiddo who dropped off the planet and instead of letting him drop out they got ahold of him and said if he came 4 days he could have his diploma. Its all about the numbers and litagation here. When I say RTI, they say "RTwhat". Progress monitoring is a foreign word to them. Not enough textbooks for the students either. My daughter is doing the same thing she was doing last year in CO. And talk about teaching to the test! They pride themselves in teaching to the test and have heard many times "why not teach to the test- you are only going to test what is important right?". OMG.
I have stories that lawyers would love to have because it would make them wealthy. I often consider hiring one for myself because of the emotional turmoil I am going through as I fight desperately for what my kiddos need and deserve.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:50 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,314,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggin4colorado View Post
Wow, I am teaching in VA now, coming from CO and I go to bed most night in tears because my heart breaks for my kiddos because its so bad. I haven't met any teachers yet who think the school system is good- we are a good 10 years behind the rest of the nation. There is a good smoke and mirrors act too. I have a kiddo who dropped off the planet and instead of letting him drop out they got ahold of him and said if he came 4 days he could have his diploma. Its all about the numbers and litagation here. When I say RTI, they say "RTwhat". Progress monitoring is a foreign word to them. Not enough textbooks for the students either. My daughter is doing the same thing she was doing last year in CO. And talk about teaching to the test! They pride themselves in teaching to the test and have heard many times "why not teach to the test- you are only going to test what is important right?". OMG.
I have stories that lawyers would love to have because it would make them wealthy. I often consider hiring one for myself because of the emotional turmoil I am going through as I fight desperately for what my kiddos need and deserve.
Where are you in VA? I have 17 years in VA and have found that Virginia's districts can vary greatly across the state, especially when it comes to instructional practices. My parents and brother taught a few years in SW VA, and it was much different (not for the better, IMO) from the district in which I teach.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:17 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,252,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggin4colorado View Post

I know most teachers in Fairfax think they are God's gift to education. We had one in Vegas who couldn't handle what was going on--after she told me, "I'm from Fairfax...." She thought she knew it all.

I went to Virginia Tech, and I think I got the best graduate education available but that's different from K-12.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:45 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,314,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
I know most teachers in Fairfax think they are God's gift to education. We had one in Vegas who couldn't handle what was going on--after she told me, "I'm from Fairfax...." She thought she knew it all.

I went to Virginia Tech, and I think I got the best graduate education available but that's different from K-12.
Are you basing this opinion on one teacher that you know? Certainly you have not met "most teachers in Fairfax".

What was going on that she couldn't handle?

Old 01-12-2010, 04:54 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,123,802 times
I am in Williamsburg. I am searching for some place else for next school year. I can't take another emotional year like this.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:20 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,750,224 times
Default US Chamber report card

Have you seen the US Chamber of Commerce states' report cards?

U.S. Chamber of Commerce - Leaders and Laggards: A State-by-State Report Card on Educational Effectiveness

Old 01-15-2010, 01:05 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue's Love View Post
What state values education the most? ex.. the top 5 or 10?

We live in Florida and are really starting to think about moving due to the lack of value in the adolescents of the state.

We are also looking for a forward thinking state - one that is looking at what is going to happen tomorrow rather than being stuck in what is going on today.

Move somewhere cold.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:15 PM

615 posts, read 1,693,121 times
I think it is way more important to look at the individual school district than the state as a whole. If you have that kind of flexibility, find a state that you like and find a school district within it. Every state has some very bad school districts and states not typically recognized for their education has some great school districts. My state is a perfect example, SC I think we can all agree is not known for the best public education but I happen to live in one of the best school districts in the country. And there is more than one school district that also lives up to that as well in SC.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:03 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,211,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
You might want to look at the educational requirements in each state. It seems that I have heard that some New England states require a masters degree to teach. In Arkansas, and many other states around here, you only need a bachelors degree and many of the teachers could be replaced by the folks working at the DMV and the students wouldn't even notice. I am amazed by the lack of professionalism in the public schools today.

All of that to say, "Move to a New England state."

Does that mean schools are even better if they have PhD's as teachers?

I have known folks who graduated from place like U of M and could write a coherent sentence. I think part of the problem is people assume that higher education = intelligence and ability.

Just like a high school diploma, a degree seems to signify that one is capable of sitting in a classroom for 2-4 years and memorizing (my favorite synonym is regurgitate) knowledge to the satisfaction of some formal test or the acceptance of the instructor.

Of course if the instructor dislikes the student because he/she did not play by the rules or fit within the box, no amount of regurgitation will be successful.

And which state is it that said education was not important?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education