U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-26-2009, 05:59 PM
 
Location: Southern California
3,597 posts, read 2,554,953 times
Reputation: 2760

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Many times kids who are ahead entering kindergarten don't stay ahead. Our school would do nothing with dd#2 in spite of an evaluation that said she was gifted until 3rd grade. They wanted to see if she was going to stay ahead first.
It also runs in our family to stay ahead. Her mom had the same problem I had in school. She just stopped going in high school most of the time and still passed with flying colors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-26-2009, 07:58 PM
 
Location: Whoville....
22,308 posts, read 17,066,443 times
Reputation: 11754
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
It also runs in our family to stay ahead. Her mom had the same problem I had in school. She just stopped going in high school most of the time and still passed with flying colors.
I can see why the schools want to wait. Many of the kids who start out ahead don't seem to stay that way. Some are just ahead because their parents push them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2009, 08:14 PM
 
2,839 posts, read 6,619,059 times
Reputation: 2740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Many times kids who are ahead entering kindergarten don't stay ahead. Our school would do nothing with dd#2 in spite of an evaluation that said she was gifted until 3rd grade. They wanted to see if she was going to stay ahead first.
How could she have stayed ahead, if the school kept her at a level that was beneath her abilities? Maybe the school didn't want to "do anything" because they knew that if they just ignored that she was ahead of the curve, she'd eventually figure it was easier to "fall into line."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2009, 08:15 PM
 
2,839 posts, read 6,619,059 times
Reputation: 2740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I can see why the schools want to wait. Many of the kids who start out ahead don't seem to stay that way. Some are just ahead because their parents push them.
Push them how? You can't force a four year old to read, for example. Or do you mean they dare to teach their child something before they go to school? What nerve!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2009, 08:25 PM
 
Location: Whoville....
22,308 posts, read 17,066,443 times
Reputation: 11754
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfWhimsy View Post
How could she have stayed ahead, if the school kept her at a level that was beneath her abilities? Maybe the school didn't want to "do anything" because they knew that if they just ignored that she was ahead of the curve, she'd eventually figure it was easier to "fall into line."

My dd did. Gifted kids don't fall behind just because the school doesn't provide them with a program to push them ahead. What the school wanted to see was that she stayed ahead on her own.

I understand now what they were doing. If a child is only ahead because they're pushed ahead, they probably don't belong ahead. Left on their own, they won't keep moving forward. If a child is meant to move ahead, they will move ahead. Maybe not at the pace they could have had they had something special but they'll keep making progress, which is what my dd did. I'm convinced that nothing could have resulted in her falling back. For now, being ahead is a part of who she is (time will tell if it will remain that way into adulthood but even she admits that once her peers are through with college, there won't be much difference between her and them as they will have had time to catch up.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2009, 08:29 PM
 
Location: Whoville....
22,308 posts, read 17,066,443 times
Reputation: 11754
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfWhimsy View Post
Push them how? You can't force a four year old to read, for example. Or do you mean they dare to teach their child something before they go to school? What nerve!
Teach them if you want to but that doesn't entitle them to something different WRT their educations. I'm kind of in the school starts at age 5 camp. I've never seen much logic in teaching your kids what they're going to go to school to learn before school starts because then they'll just be bored camp. I don't see a point in teaching them early unless you plan on teaching everything early but then you don't know if they're ready for that.

You can teach most preschoolers to read but, for most of them, in time their peers catch up. Reading isn't too bad because it's easy to differentiate through choice of books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2009, 08:37 PM
 
Location: Southern California
3,597 posts, read 2,554,953 times
Reputation: 2760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I can see why the schools want to wait. Many of the kids who start out ahead don't seem to stay that way. Some are just ahead because their parents push them.
Well, your response to my quote didn't quite follow. We did stay ahead, even without going to class. However, my niece hasn't been pushed. She's always loved to learn and initiates it herself. She's always been that way. In fact, my sister is so uninvolved, there's no way she could push her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2009, 08:39 PM
 
Location: Southern California
3,597 posts, read 2,554,953 times
Reputation: 2760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Teach them if you want to but that doesn't entitle them to something different WRT their educations. I'm kind of in the school starts at age 5 camp. I've never seen much logic in teaching your kids what they're going to go to school to learn before school starts because then they'll just be bored camp. I don't see a point in teaching them early unless you plan on teaching everything early but then you don't know if they're ready for that.

You can teach most preschoolers to read but, for most of them, in time their peers catch up. Reading isn't too bad because it's easy to differentiate through choice of books.
And, she started school at age 5. Her birthday was August 8, and she started the next week I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2009, 08:40 PM
 
2,839 posts, read 6,619,059 times
Reputation: 2740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Teach them if you want to but that doesn't entitle them to something different WRT their educations. I'm kind of in the school starts at age 5 camp. I've never seen much logic in teaching your kids what they're going to go to school to learn before school starts because then they'll just be bored camp. I don't see a point in teaching them early unless you plan on teaching everything early but then you don't know if they're ready for that.

You can teach most preschoolers to read but, for most of them, in time their peers catch up. Reading isn't too bad because it's easy to differentiate through choice of books.
I actually believe "better late than early" in regards to academics (for my own children, who were not ready for formal academics at the age of 4 or 5), and in our case, my feelings on it DO entitle them to something different WRT their educations (and they get it!). I obviously will never agree with you on this topic, and vice versa... I'm all for individualized educations wherever possible, and you're for getting everyone on not only the same page, but the same line. Which is fine, different strokes for different folks and all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2009, 08:53 PM
 
Location: Whoville....
22,308 posts, read 17,066,443 times
Reputation: 11754
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfWhimsy View Post
I actually believe "better late than early" in regards to academics (for my own children, who were not ready for formal academics at the age of 4 or 5), and in our case, my feelings on it DO entitle them to something different WRT their educations (and they get it!). I obviously will never agree with you on this topic, and vice versa... I'm all for individualized educations wherever possible, and you're for getting everyone on not only the same page, but the same line. Which is fine, different strokes for different folks and all.
No, I'm for kids learning that the world doesn't revolve around them. I want my kids to learn to succeed WITHOUT being catered to. I want them to learn how to learn even when things aren't perfect. You see, the world is not perfect and it will not cater to them. IMO, that's one of the things kids need to learn in school.

I don't think you can make kids all the same so I wouldn't try. What I don't think you need is a system trying to make them different. I think they differentiate on their own. So I don't think it's necessary to have special tracks for kids.

Now, I am in favor of a tracked system but that's becuase it would make my job easier. I find classroom management difficult with a wide range of abilties in one classroom. It would be easier to have classes on different levels. I find if I can keep kids busy, they don't get into trouble. If I shoot to keep the brighter kids busy, I overwhelm the lower end kids. If I aim for them, I come in so far under the brighter kids they act up like they're bored and in kindergarten.

Still, the farthest I'd go would be a low, average and high track. I wouldn't differentiate beyond that. I think we do kids a disservice if we cater to them. One of the things they need to learn in school is how to adapt any situation to their own learning style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:39 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top