Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 07:44 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

Wallingford, DE, United States (AHN) - A Delaware County high school senior was suspended for too much Christmas spirit on Tuesday. The student came to school dressed in a Santa suit and was immediately suspended for the day, according to reports.

Read more: Student Suspended For Dressing In Santa Suit | AHN (http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7017346126?Student%20Suspended%20For%20Dressing%20 In%20Santa%20Suit#ixzz0aZQUoyLR - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 07:56 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
he told teachers and administrators nearly a month ago that he would be wearing the Santa outfit. He said the teachers told him not to wear it

Guess he isn't very bright.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:26 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
I'd be curious to hear the school's side of things. I can understand why they'd be irritated if they told him not to wear it, then he did anyway. I suppose they figured that the first thing counted as a warning. Still, it does seem very grinch-like.

I found another article that said he left the beard at home and took the hat off in class, so I guess they were upset by the suit itself. Apparently elves and reindeer (where were all these kids when I was in high school? Who owns a reindeer costume??) were allowed to stay.

Then again, I don't like strict dress codes in general, so see nothing wrong with the wearing of the actual suit part, although I think it's reasonable to expect no had and no fake beard (which sounds like it was the case).

The school should have known that this was a PR disaster in the making, though, especially if he told them in advance that he was going to wear it (which suggests that he was willing to make an issue out of it). Was this really such a big deal that they're going to waste their time and energy over such a little thing? Just let the kid wear the suit.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:29 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,640,381 times
The kid was asking to be suspended - but honestly, the school is being absurd, for my money.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:10 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,969 times
Here's a question:

-Why are kids allowed to dress like gangsters, wear baggy pants, with shaved heads, etc and they *aren't suspended*.

-This kids comes to school dressed like Santa, and he *is suspended*?

I say more power to the student. Follow what you believe in.

"Hance says has no regrets and would do it again if given the chance because he reportedly thinks it isn't right to suspend a student for wearing a Santa suit." I hope he keeps up his free thinking after school.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:16 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,640,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
Here's a question:

-Why are kids allowed to dress like gangsters, wear baggy pants, with shaved heads, etc and they *aren't suspended*.

-This kids comes to school dressed like Santa, and he *is suspended*?

I say more power to the student. Follow what you believe in.

"Hance says has no regrets and would do it again if given the chance because he reportedly thinks it isn't right to suspend a student for wearing a Santa suit." I hope he keeps up his free thinking after school.
If all the kids dressed as Santa, it would not be disruptive. But they aren't - they are dressed as something else, so it was.

And there are U.S. schools in which shaved heads get kids sent home, too. (And I think it just as absurd.)

Old 12-26-2009, 09:22 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Wallingford, DE, United States (AHN) - A Delaware County high school senior was suspended for too much Christmas spirit on Tuesday. The student came to school dressed in a Santa suit and was immediately suspended for the day, according to reports.

Read more: Student Suspended For Dressing In Santa Suit | AHN (http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7017346126?Student%20Suspended%20For%20Dressing%20 In%20Santa%20Suit#ixzz0aZQUoyLR - broken link)
I agree with the school. He was told before he wore it not to wear it and he chose to break the rules anyway.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:54 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,166 times
Oh great! At least we now have a school issue into which we can sink our proverbial teeth after the mundane affairs of suspensions over peppermint oil, long hair on boys, mandated bras on girls..... suspension for santa suits! LOL!

Last edited by bongo; 12-27-2009 at 02:03 PM..

Old 12-27-2009, 02:17 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,982,986 times
How absurd!

That said, maybe the school was afraid he'd start handing out peppermint oil-laced candy canes, unwittingly breaking the "no substances that might possibly have some sort of health effect on susceptible students" rule.

Last edited by TouchOfWhimsy; 12-27-2009 at 02:42 PM..

Old 12-27-2009, 03:35 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfWhimsy View Post
How absurd!

That said, maybe the school was afraid he'd start handing out peppermint oil-laced candy canes, unwittingly breaking the "no substances that might possibly have some sort of health effect on susceptible students" rule.
TouchOfWhimsy, you have the right moniker! LOL! God forbid we have serious discussions of pedagogy here! LOL! Which is the tongue-in-cheek smilie?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education