Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 01:41 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,266,641 times

Advertisements

Or am I just an old-fashioned stickler for good English?

As our daughter continues to progress through kindergarten in what is arguably the state's best public school district (Chapel Hill-Carrboro), my wife and I are becoming increasingly dismayed by her persistent misuse of the word "like." Anyone reading this will know what I'm talking about, so I shouldn't have to explain.

We really limit the amount of TV she watches, so I can't help but conclude it's coming from friends at school. At least I hope it's from friends rather than teachers.

We're making slow and patient progress at undoing the damage, gently explaining to her that despite what she might hear, "like" only has a few valid uses. The Christmas/New Year break has helped, but I fear reversion when school starts up next week.

Have other parents in the area noticed this? Do you care? How are you handling it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 02:02 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
Like, you really, like, don't like the word like?

It drives me crazy when I hear people using "like" all the time, but despite hearing it quite frequently when I was in school (graduated high school in the '90s) but I rarely hear it from people my age (30s) now. I would continue to discuss things at home and to set a good example, but don't worry too much. She'll grow out of it eventually. As she grows older you can also talk about how people use language differently in different context; maybe in your case she's free to use "like" all she wants with her friends, but you'd prefer to not hear it at home. It might not work, of course, but even if she engages in full-out Valley Girl talk (or whatever it's called now) she'll still grow up knowing how to speak "normally" if she hears it at home.

I wouldn't expect things to get much better, though. Maybe temporarily over the next few years, but expect it to come roaring back in full force when she's a teen. It might be irritating, but if annoying use of the word "like" ends up being your biggest problem then consider yourself lucky.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:03 PM

725 posts, read 1,500,570 times
If this is the biggest issue then you are doing okay.

Old 12-31-2009, 04:20 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Winston tastes good like a cigarette should.

Wait until she comes home from school, and says she likes someone, but she's not sure if he likes her, or likes likes her, or doesn't like her at all. Do you know what I mean?

Old 12-31-2009, 04:40 PM

5,012 posts, read 10,690,867 times
Yes, it is annoying. But as the moderator stated, it is only a phase. In fact, many youngsters and adolescents use the word as a filler during the years in which they are still learning how to express themselves. It actually might be helping your daughter or, at the very least, is something that she really can't (nor should really be forced) to control. Moreover, if it is the language of her peers, then that is the language that she is going to use, especially to bond with them.
I would really try to control your annoyance, especially at such an early stage. Otherwise, it will be a nightmare for you when she becomes a teenager.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:34 PM

Would you rather she stammer? Assuming the reason is the one StarlaJane gave, it's a conversational filler. Or do you mean using "like" where you should use "as"?

Old 12-31-2009, 05:49 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,158,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post

As our daughter continues to progress through kindergarten in what is arguably the state's best public school district (Chapel Hill-Carrboro), my wife and I are becoming increasingly dismayed by her persistent misuse of the word "like." Anyone reading this will know what I'm talking about, so I shouldn't have to explain.

We really limit the amount of TV she watches, so I can't help but conclude it's coming from friends at school. At least I hope it's from friends rather than teachers.

We're making slow and patient progress at undoing the damage, gently explaining to her that despite what she might hear, "like" only has a few valid uses. The Christmas/New Year break has helped, but I fear reversion when school starts up next week.

Have other parents in the area noticed this? Do you care? How are you handling it?
i have another example of modern verbage for you:
S
T
F
U

Edit: I meant that as a gentle jibe, please don't take offense.

Last edited by GucciLittlePiggie; 12-31-2009 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 12-31-2009, 06:12 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,626,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmember10000 View Post
If this is the biggest issue then you are doing okay.
You took the words right out of my mouth!

Old 12-31-2009, 06:59 PM

1,428 posts, read 3,161,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post

During discussions with my students, if someone says a sentence such as, "And, like, Odysseus killed the suitors," I'll stop and say, "Do you mean 'similar to Odysseus,' or do you just mean 'Odysseus'?" I'll do this each and every time. It gets annoying very swiftly...and it eliminates the problem.

With all due respect to the previously-expressed opinions, I think the issue is more significant than one of mere conversational filler. The word "like" conveys a fuzzy-focus commitment to facts, ideas, opinions, specificity. It betrays the speaker's lack of confidence, knowledge, and understanding -- or belief in -- the ideas she or he is attempting to convey. It's as if she or he is saying, "I'm not entirely sure about what I'm conveying here, and this is just my own opinion, so I'm not actually responsible or accountable for any of the things I'm saying...and I'm not really saying anything. I'm saying only approximations, not actualities."

Sorry, but I believe that if you continue to speak in this way, your brain reflects the soft, inarticulate focus of your language. Focus the lens. Commit to a statement. Declare yourself.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:48 PM

^It's still preferable to a stammer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education