Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 04:31 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,693,835 times

Advertisements

I generally let things roll right off my back, especially around these parts. There's one thing, though, that might as well be fingernails on a chalkboard, especially around these parts. That's when someone misuses the word "whom", I'm guessing in an attempt to sound educated. The following is my good deed for the day:

Who= subject
Whom= object

If that doesn't make sense to you, I'll try a different approach:

Who replaces he/she in a sentence.
Whom replaces him/her.

That is all, and you're welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 04:33 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,713,070 times
Thank you. This is one of my pet peeves as well.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:46 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,786,602 times
I agree! Don't you also hate when they use "I" as an object too?

I hate when I hear someone say "He came over to talk to her and I."

Again, it's an ironic ("bass-ackwards" for those who don't understand what "ironic" means) attempt to sound more proper, like when using "whom" incorrectly. And they end up sounding even more like idiots.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:32 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,717,424 times
I try very hard to use the correct form, but lose absolutely no sleep when someone else doesn't. However, I would like to know whom() decided that the past tense of "lead" should also be spelled "lead" rather than "led." I have even seen that in textbooks for English teachers. And I'm noticing a lot more typos in the printed books I read these days. I hold editors to a higher standard than I do the general population and they're falling down on the job.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:04 PM

17,113 posts, read 56,733,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I try very hard to use the correct form, but lose absolutely no sleep when someone else doesn't. However, I would like to know whom() decided that the past tense of "lead" should also be spelled "lead" rather than "led." I have even seen that in textbooks for English teachers. And I'm noticing a lot more typos in the printed books I read these days. I hold editors to a higher standard than I do the general population and they're falling down on the job.
Those of us who speak Russian definitely know the difference betweeen "who" and "whom", both are still used in Russian.

I never understood the concept of a split infinitive, and what was "wrong" with it, until I studied Russian, where the infinitive is a single word...

That said, I am not holding my breath for the lumpenproletariat to use "whom" correctly...

Old 01-05-2010, 08:41 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,693,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Those of us who speak Russian definitely know the difference betweeen "who" and "whom", both are still used in Russian.

I never understood the concept of a split infinitive, and what was "wrong" with it, until I studied Russian, where the infinitive is a single word...

That said, I am not holding my breath for the lumpenproletariat to use "whom" correctly...

I don't care about people using a universal "who", in place of "whom". I just can't stand it when "whom" is misused. It stands out like nothing else.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:02 PM

26,580 posts, read 26,455,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I am not holding my breath for the lumpenproletariat to use "whom" correctly...
"So has the bell tolled for 'whom'?"
(From Woe Is I by Patricia O'Connor. I still have to look in this book occasionally when using who/whom.)

Old 01-06-2010, 02:45 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,365,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
I generally let things roll right off my back, especially around these parts. There's one thing, though, that might as well be fingernails on a chalkboard, especially around these parts. That's when someone misuses the word "whom", I'm guessing in an attempt to sound educated. The following is my good deed for the day:

Who= subject
Whom= object

If that doesn't make sense to you, I'll try a different approach:

Who replaces he/she in a sentence.
Whom replaces him/her.

That is all, and you're welcome!
Thank you! I never can remember the rule, and your explanation is a LOT easier to remember than the one given by my English teacher way back when.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:37 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,785,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
Thank you! I never can remember the rule, and your explanation is a LOT easier to remember than the one given by my English teacher way back when.
Even simpler to remember, but the same in the end:

If you can replace it by *hiM*, then it is *whoM*
All other cases it is who (no M)

Old 01-06-2010, 03:59 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,786,602 times
I've always thought George Thorogood should have sung "Whom do you love?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education