Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 10:18 PM

924 posts, read 2,230,880 times

Advertisements

What steps would you take to create an action plan?

The deadline to apply to college is March 1 for the Sept 2010 semester.

Last spring I saw a college career counsellor where I graduated from (silly to see them after graduation instead of before, but anyway...it's water under the bridge now). I have a BA in a social science field that actually requires an MA from an accredited program as a minimum. Neither my GPA, nor my interest level is high enough for an MA in my field of study and I want to start fresh with another BA.

I now have basically 6 weeks until March 1 to make an action plan.
I have some ideas on how to create the plan, including making an appointment with the counsellor ASAP, reviewing the Myers-Briggs interest and skills inventory testing I did, exploring college sites, emailing and calling them for info, finding out if any of my credits can be transferred, etc.?

Any other ideas if you were facing such a deadline? Thanks folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 12:11 AM

2,195 posts, read 3,640,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post
What steps would you take to create an action plan?

The deadline to apply to college is March 1 for the Sept 2010 semester.

Last spring I saw a college career counsellor where I graduated from (silly to see them after graduation instead of before, but anyway...it's water under the bridge now). I have a BA in a social science field that actually requires an MA from an accredited program as a minimum. Neither my GPA, nor my interest level is high enough for an MA in my field of study and I want to start fresh with another BA.

I now have basically 6 weeks until March 1 to make an action plan.
I have some ideas on how to create the plan, including making an appointment with the counsellor ASAP, reviewing the Myers-Briggs interest and skills inventory testing I did, exploring college sites, emailing and calling them for info, finding out if any of my credits can be transferred, etc.?

Any other ideas if you were facing such a deadline? Thanks folks.
I'd suggest that you reconsider your plan. If you already have a BA, those credits cannot transfer - they are already "used".

Instead, figure out what you would like to study at the graduate level and then apply to a graduate program - with the understanding that you might need to take some undergrad courses in the field to 'qualify' for formal admission - but they do that: tentatively admit based on successful completion of requirements.

Conversely, if you don't know what you wish to study, but have ideas, I would strongly recommend taking a few different courses - but not matriculating.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:53 AM

917 posts, read 2,948,314 times
I agree with JPS- don't waste your money until you know what you want to do. Try working in a job, any job, for a year. You can save money and figure out what kind of things you like to do. Then you can go back to school.

If you go back right now, you'll just be in the same boat in four years with more debt.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:49 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
I personally agree with the above, I would work for a while before jumping into another degree. It sounds like you are not yet 100% sure of what you want to do professionally. Get out there and work - you may find that your current B.A. is more flexible than you think, or you may find that you do need a different degree, but at least you will have some work experience under your belt. You may also find that after you have some work experience, you can then apply and earn a graduate degree, and not necessarily a graduate degree in the same field that your B.A. is in.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:39 PM

924 posts, read 2,230,880 times
Thanks for your feedback everyone. I graduated in May 2008 with a degree related to architecture (minus the drawing) and frankly, although I enjoyed some of the courses, my heart isn't into it 100%. In fact, I haven't even had graduation photos taken that Mom has asked for...because I don't really feel I accomplished that much (did it in 6 yrs while working part time).

I currently work in written customer service and have been doing so for almost 4 years now - and though I'm using some transferable skills, it's still an entry level job without opportunity for growth unfortunately. When trying to go "beyond the call of duty" in the past by taking on extra responsibilities and help out supervisors who were unable to manage their workloads, the manager told me (via official performance review for HR) that I needed to learn to respect my position/role in the company. When I asked for more tasks, I was told these responsibilities were for supervisors, not me. Basically each time I asked for more stuff to do, I was rejected. Plus, I work only part time now. I feel like I'm really spinning my wheels in that job, not living up to my true potential.

Around 1999 I was thinking of going into the legal field, at least as paralegal or something, but chose computer science instead. I was in the IT field as a programmer/analyst for 2 years, unemployed for one after that, then switched to the BA for a change. Trouble is, I don't feel I have really followed my true interests in over a decade.

What I've learned over the years of working in CS is that I enjoy responsibilities that entail:
-persuasion
-analysis
-writing
-research
-reading

I always had an interest in law enforcement (LE), criminal justice and legal matters, but for health and personality reasons - I'm not THAT outgoing and actually prefer working alone than in a team - it may not be for me. However each time I think of K9 squads and police operations, I think wow! imagine being one of them...perhaps I see them as heroes or role models, but it doesn't necessarily mean I will become an officer myself.

But I agree it's perhaps prudent to test the waters with some individual courses - perhaps as an independent student before taking the plunge into another 4 year bachelor's program. Due my sub 3.00 GPA, I'm concerned that I'll be rejected for grad programs, especially since I haven't done any professional work since graduation. CS is not exactly professional.

Last edited by ValueAddedWorker; 01-14-2010 at 12:48 PM..

Old 01-14-2010, 01:48 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,904,348 times
I agree about not matriculating until you have a plan. You can get a second BS and if it is at the same school you may need only to take the major courses for the new major since you will have your core requirements completed for the first one. (of course this depends on how close the two fields are - you might need to take a higher level math/science/language, you get the picture). Once you go in, unlike a new freshman, you would be right in there taking the classes related to that major. It would be likely anything you take in the first semester back might not apply if you were to change your mind.

Good luck!

Old 01-14-2010, 02:25 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,640,656 times
Quote:
Thanks for your feedback everyone. I graduated in May 2008 with a degree related to architecture (minus the drawing) and frankly, although I enjoyed some of the courses, my heart isn't into it 100%. In fact, I haven't even had graduation photos taken that Mom has asked for...because I don't really feel I accomplished that much (did it in 6 yrs while working part time).

I currently work in written customer service and have been doing so for almost 4 years now - and though I'm using some transferable skills, it's still an entry level job without opportunity for growth unfortunately. When trying to go "beyond the call of duty" in the past by taking on extra responsibilities and help out supervisors who were unable to manage their workloads, the manager told me (via official performance review for HR) that I needed to learn to respect my position/role in the company. When I asked for more tasks, I was told these responsibilities were for supervisors, not me. Basically each time I asked for more stuff to do, I was rejected. Plus, I work only part time now. I feel like I'm really spinning my wheels in that job, not living up to my true potential.

Around 1999 I was thinking of going into the legal field, at least as paralegal or something, but chose computer science instead. I was in the IT field as a programmer/analyst for 2 years, unemployed for one after that, then switched to the BA for a change. Trouble is, I don't feel I have really followed my true interests in over a decade.

What I've learned over the years of working in CS is that I enjoy responsibilities that entail:
-persuasion
-analysis
-writing
-research
-reading

I always had an interest in law enforcement (LE), criminal justice and legal matters, but for health and personality reasons - I'm not THAT outgoing and actually prefer working alone than in a team - it may not be for me. However each time I think of K9 squads and police operations, I think wow! imagine being one of them...perhaps I see them as heroes or role models, but it doesn't necessarily mean I will become an officer myself.

But I agree it's perhaps prudent to test the waters with some individual courses - perhaps as an independent student before taking the plunge into another 4 year bachelor's program. Due my sub 3.00 GPA, I'm concerned that I'll be rejected for grad programs, especially since I haven't done any professional work since graduation. CS is not exactly professional.
If you are in the U.S., you might want to check the financial aid policies, too - I am not sure, but I think many things that work for a first BA won't work for a 2nd.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:54 PM

972 posts, read 2,444,176 times
Quote:
-persuasion
-analysis
-writing
-research
-reading
Until you said your field was related to architecture, I thought you might be one of my many nieces and nephews who graduated with degrees that are not getting them where they wanted to go.

Your skills could be useful in creating documents for an expert witness. There are numerous professionals who are called upon to investigate a situation and present their findings in detail. But, many of these experts I worked with are not very good at putting together a package of information that is understandable and easily accessable. Some expert witness fields include engineers for insurance (home, property, etc.), mold experts, and accident reconstructionists.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:12 AM

460 posts, read 1,140,143 times
Your interests look like a good fit for an attorney.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:39 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
Sounds like it's time for a new job. Can you ask your college advisor, program department, or a favorite professor for help? Or check with your school's career placement office. I would try to find a new job with more potential, now that you have graduated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education