Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 05:50 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,316,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Your child comes home from school and tells you another child in the class draws satanic pictures and tells his/her classmates they worship satan.

What would you do/say?

If you contact the school what course of action would you think they should take, if any?
I would talk to my child, but there really isn't anything to contact the school about from what you have posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 05:58 PM

693 posts, read 1,606,241 times
For better or worse, in American society people are free to worship who they choose. If the child drawing pictures of Satan is not forcing your kid to do the same, there really isn't anything anyone can do - bar you removing your child from that school because you aren't comfortable with it. Simply saying they are a Satanist is not imposing their beliefs. If I felt my kid was being unduly influenced by other children discussing their opposing beliefs I would remove my kid from that environment.

Maybe this is a good teaching time for you to have with your kid, and you can embolden your kid to talk about their beliefs with the other kid. After all, that's the way the world is - we're all surrounded by people who have different ways of thinking and believing than we do. We can either be strong in our own minds and be able to maintain our beliefs in a world of different beliefs, or we can isolate ourselves with only like-minded people. Not saying either is right or wrong, but maybe you need to decide which you think is better for your child.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:44 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,316,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melbern View Post
For better or worse, in American society people are free to worship who they choose. If the child drawing pictures of Satan is not forcing your kid to do the same, there really isn't anything anyone can do - bar you removing your child from that school because you aren't comfortable with it. Simply saying they are a Satanist is not imposing their beliefs. If I felt my kid was being unduly influenced by other children discussing their opposing beliefs I would remove my kid from that environment.

Maybe this is a good teaching time for you to have with your kid, and you can embolden your kid to talk about their beliefs with the other kid. After all, that's the way the world is - we're all surrounded by people who have different ways of thinking and believing than we do. We can either be strong in our own minds and be able to maintain our beliefs in a world of different beliefs, or we can isolate ourselves with only like-minded people. Not saying either is right or wrong, but maybe you need to decide which you think is better for your child.
^ Well stated.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:21 PM

31 posts, read 26,581 times
parents of good kids would be shocked to see what kind of stuff goes on in schools. i have seen so many bad kids not get punished for their actions time and time again, yet when a good kid does something remotely bad they are punished by the book. if parents knew this at my school they would throw a fit.

example....we had a teacher catch a kid (thug idiot) skipping class down by the pe locker room. he took the kid to the assistant principal's office and her excuse for not punishing this idiot for skipping class was "oh, he thought there was going to be a fight down there".

hahahah....unreal!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-26-2010, 05:41 AM

3,787 posts, read 6,998,694 times
It would be interesting to see side by side the beliefs and practices of a satan worshiper and the practice of...well, I just don't know what to equate it to. Maybe someone else can help me out here.

I'm ignorant in the area of satan worshiping. I have no idea what their tenants are.

I've been thinking of this issue and I've reached the conclusion I think some of the responses are bizarre. The issue should be addressed. School is for school work unless they're in a class teaching satan worshiping it doesn't belong in the classroom, (unless it's an art class providing the venue).

If the school simply ignores it and does not address the issue that tells me there is something wrong within the system itself. (that is my personal opinion)

Old 01-26-2010, 05:51 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,902,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
I'm an atheist, if they mention any type of theistic construct, should I complain???- well Yeah, who are they to impose their beliefs on my child, or me, or my dog, or my aunt bessies second cousin on her great uncle Henrys' side......???
Is simply TALKING about religious beliefs really imposing them on anyone?

IMO people should be free to talk about their religious beliefs. Simply speaking of religious belieft does not imply that everyone else needs to have the same religious beliefs. I think kids should learn about a variety of religious beliefs in school, from an academic perspective. That is not IMPOSING a view on anyone else.

How did we get to the ridiculous place where the mere mention of a person's religion become imposing it on someone else?

Old 01-26-2010, 05:54 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,902,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Your child comes home from school and tells you another child in the class draws satanic pictures and tells his/her classmates they worship satan.

What would you do/say?

If you contact the school what course of action would you think they should take, if any?
What could you do? It's not illegal to worship Satan, The Spaghetti Monster, or a blade of grass.

Would you call the school if my child drew pictures of the Star of David and said he was Jewish?

Old 01-26-2010, 05:55 AM

136 posts, read 424,028 times
I would tell my child to stay away from the other child,depending on my childs age try to explain why.Contact the school and go have a talk with the other kids parents.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:00 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,294,149 times
I would say "so".

The kid is probably trying to get a rise out of a teacher, nothing more, nothing less. Those that want to go to the school board, go right ahead but be prepared for them to answer 'so". Why is EVERY LITTLE thing such and issue with some people.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:12 AM

3,787 posts, read 6,998,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
What could you do? It's not illegal to worship Satan, The Spaghetti Monster, or a blade of grass.

Would you call the school if my child drew pictures of the Star of David and said he was Jewish?

I don't compare worshiping satan to the spaghetti monster or a blade of grass.

Is satanism even termed a "religion"?

Would a child draw a picture of the star of David and try to intimidate another child with it? I'm thinking no.

I don't care if this child wants to worship a porceline god...however, they shouldn't be doing it in a public school. If they are in a Math class that is what they should be doing...MATH, not drawing satanic pictures.

In response to when did we start worrying about such little things? When did we start condoning some of this stuff in a classroom?

This whole issue to me isn't about the "rights" of the satan worshiper. It's about the "rights" of the children in that classroom to LEARN about the subject matter. If the subject matter is satanism then there would be no issue.

The "rights" of the other children to learn in a non-threatening environment is the issue. If the school board says "so"?? Then obviously there's the problem.

I don't feel sorry for poor little Timmy if he doesn't get to draw his satanic pictures in the classroom. Little Timmy should be doing Math/English/Science.

The rights of the children to learn in a non-threatening environment is the issue. Period.

Last edited by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots; 01-26-2010 at 06:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education