U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 03:39 PM

11,151 posts, read 14,147,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthcomesout View Post
This education format is for the students and not the parents.
Parents pay property taxes, which support the schools, and they often elect members to school boards. That means they have a say in how schools are operated and, I repeat, most of them will NOT like these "proposals."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 04:22 PM

2,838 posts, read 9,037,783 times
Quote:
This education format is for the students and not the parents.
Like it or not, though, the school system/government does not own and make decisions for children. Parents are free to pull their kids out for any reason.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:49 PM

272 posts, read 233,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfWhimsy View Post
Like it or not, though, the school system/government does not own and make decisions for children. Parents are free to pull their kids out for any reason.
Why would parents pull their children out of a school that damn near guarantees their child a decent education, physical fitness, discipline, and long term success?

Old 01-29-2010, 06:25 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,694,408 times
Quote:
This plan is not meant for kids with profound intellectually disabilities or physical disabilities.

K-12 students

1) Schools will be segregated based on gender.
Why?

2) Recess will be limited to calisthenics and restroom breaks.
Does that include students learning how to play baseball, racquetball, gymnastics, etc?

3) Students will be required to wear dress uniforms during classroom instruction and physical training gear during physical training.
Ok.

4) Once a student in the third grade he or she will have to pass Physical abilities test in order to go on to the next grade. The test is based on gender and existing health conditions (juvenile arthritis, asthma, heart conditions, and etc)
Who determines what physical abilities are necessary to move to the next grade? Is the child required to be able to run a mile in under 10 minutes? Just be able to complete said mile with no time limit? Are we doing a flexibility test? How flexible must one be? There are some tall, large, or very athletic boys that would fail that miserably.

5) When students are waiting for their next class they must be studying. Instructors will walk up to random students and give ask them questions their assigned subjects. If the student doesn't answer the question correctly he or she will have to do calisthenics.
Why must one be studying at every moment. Can't they take 5 minutes in between class to wind down? Say hi to a friend? As long as it's nothing disruptful or disrespectful, is 5 minutes that bad?

6) Students will be in assigned study groups. These groups will have to make sure everyone in their group is physically fit and academically fit. If one student fails they all fail. If a student is being defiant in the group it is up to the group to notify their instructor.
"I am not my brother's keeper". Why should I be punished if someone in my group fails? Who assigns these groups? Are they random? Based on ability?

7) Unhealthy food or drinks will not be allowed on campus. Fast food restaurants will not be allowed to serve students under the ages of 18 the school week.
Great!

8) It will be mandatory for students to take the SAT and ACT. It will also be mandatory for graduating students to either go to college, the military or a trade union.
Why? The SAT isn't even required for all community colleges. If I want to get an associates in early childhood education or some type of trade certificate, why do I need to take a test that's needed for college admissions? How do you enforce everyone going to those 3 paths? What if someone graduates and wants to work on their father's farm? What about someone who wants to work in the family business as a hostess or janitor?

9) High school aged students will have to pass a rigorous PAT (physical ability test) in order to graduate high school. Students with health problems that limit their physical abilities will be exempt.
A rigorous test? Again, why? And what will qualify as a health problem?

10) Students must have taken college prep courses in order to graduate.
Why does everyone have to go to college?

11) Gang members who try to recruit students will be punished to fullest extent of the law.
Fine, but good luck with that!

12) Bullying will be a thing of the past, because bullies will get one warning. That warning is a "Scared Straight program (a field trip to a California State Prison) The next step is separation from the school and placement into a juvenile detention center where he or she can finish his or her education behind bars.
What will define bullying? If you call someone a pimply faced geek and laugh at them until they cry, I'm going to jail? The same jail that someone who brought a knife to school and threatened a student with is in?

13) Starting in the 4th grade, students will learn how to be financially responsible.
If you can fit it in the curicculum.

14) Drivers education will be brought back to high school.
Ok, but what if I live in a city where a car is really unnecessary. Do I have to take driver's ed then?

15) Starting in the second grade students will have stand at the position of attention until the instructor says be seated. The students must remain until in the seated position of attention until the instructor gives the command of "at ease".
That's a bit scary.

16) Students will be required to read no less than 15 books a year at their grade level.
Are these school approved books or any book? Do comic trade paperbacks count?

17) Students will be required to participate in marching drills in between class. This will take place starting in the fourth grade.
Why, if we're already doing calisthenics?

18) High school students will be required to type at least 40 words a minute before receiving their high school diploma.
Why not throw in that they have to be able to balance a checkbook, cook a meal, change a tire, etc?

19) High school students must be able to fluently speak and write a foreign language before receiving their high school diploma.
Again, where will you have time to fit this in with the rest of the required academics? Being fluent in a foreign language will take more than 1 class for 4 years. At best, you could hope for is conversational.

20) High school students must have participated on sports team, participated in a police explorer program, or an academic based club in order to graduate.
Why? What if I just want to take private piano lessons and have no interest in sports and don't like the academic clubs offerred? What if I'd rather spend my extra time working so I can afford this college you're making me go to?
Sounds like you want a police state.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:38 PM

20,793 posts, read 53,984,099 times
Sounds a lot like the schools in the USSR and China--it worked really well for them, NOT.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Sounds a lot like the schools in the USSR and China--it worked really well for them, NOT.
It did work in China.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
Sounds like you want a police state.
I do want students to be ready for the real world and prepared to take care of themselves. "Mommy and daddy" aren't going to always be there for them.

My proposal might seem a little bit harsh, and to the extreme, but may help students become successful adults.

The only things I left out was instructors inspecting students toe and finger nails.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:11 PM

2,838 posts, read 9,037,783 times
Well, as I said, good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:36 PM

103 posts, read 187,267 times
Quote:
This is the plan that I propose.
Sounds like South Korean high schools. Seriously.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:44 PM

164 posts, read 269,015 times
Quote:
This plan is not meant for kids with profound intellectually disabilities or physical disabilities.

K-12 students

1) Schools will be segregated based on gender.
Why?

2) Recess will be limited to calisthenics and restroom breaks.
Built energy will be seen as disruptions in the classroom.

3) Students will be required to wear dress uniforms during classroom instruction and physical training gear during physical training.
So parents have to spend how much.

4) Once a student in the third grade he or she will have to pass Physical abilities test in order to go on to the next grade. The test is based on gender and existing health conditions (juvenile arthritis, asthma, heart conditions, and etc)Some people are not athletic and can't do everything.Some people are not athletic.

5) When students are waiting for their next class they must be studying. Instructors will walk up to random students and give ask them questions their assigned subjects. If the student doesn't answer the question correctly he or she will have to do calisthenics. Why can't they have a break?

6) Students will be in assigned study groups. These groups will have to make sure everyone in their group is physically fit and academically fit. If one student fails they all fail. If a student is being defiant in the group it is up to the group to notify their instructor. Why should the group be responsible if someone decides they don't care?

7) Unhealthy food or drinks will not be allowed on campus. Fast food restaurants will not be allowed to serve students under the ages of 18 the school week. I don't mind this.

8) It will be mandatory for students to take the SAT and ACT. It will also be mandatory for graduating students to either go to college, the military or a trade union.Thank you for deciding what best for me o' great one.

9) High school aged students will have to pass a rigorous PAT (physical ability test) in order to graduate high school. Students with health problems that limit their physical abilities will be exempt.See 4.

10) Students must have taken college prep courses in order to graduate.
Not everyone is college bound.

11) Gang members who try to recruit students will be punished to fullest extent of the law.Won"t stop much.

12) Bullying will be a thing of the past, because bullies will get one warning. That warning is a "Scared Straight program (a field trip to a California State Prison) The next step is separation from the school and placement into a juvenile detention center where he or she can finish his or her education behind bars. Individual cases matter. There are different levels of bullying. Threatening someone and calling them a name are not the same.

13) Starting in the 4th grade, students will learn how to be financially responsible. This is the parents job, butt out.

14) Drivers education will be brought back to high school.
Undecided.

15) Starting in the second grade students will have stand at the position of attention until the instructor says be seated. The students must remain until in the seated position of attention until the instructor gives the command of "at ease". Children are not mindless drones.

16) Students will be required to read no less than 15 books a year at their grade level. This is what took alot of fun out of my joy for reading. I could read many more than 15 a year but requiring it justs kills it.

17) Students will be required to participate in marching drills in between class. This will take place starting in the fourth grade.They are not robots.

18) High school students will be required to type at least 40 words a minute before receiving their high school diploma. Why is this required?
I have Amniotic Band Sydrome, do I get a pass on this?

19) High school students must be able to fluently speak and write a foreign language before receiving their high school diploma. GL fitting this in the year.

20) High school students must have participated on sports team, participated in a police explorer program, or an academic based club in order to graduate. 4&9 I have no intrests in sports.
This all sounds like a facist police state. Because they know what's right for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or