U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-07-2010, 08:00 PM

37 posts, read 80,009 times

Advertisements

I want to go back to school for Occupational Therapy. I am a Medical Records Technican. I went to school for Medical Office Assistant in 2001 and recieved my experience by on the job training. I've worked for 2 home health agency and 1 Doctor's office as a M.R. coordinator. Before that I use to be a Certified Nurse's Assistant for 4yrs till the company I work for went on strike and close down. I was unemployed, and decided to go back to school for Medical Office Assistant. I work with the Mental Challenge while attending technical school. I've been in the M.R. field for 9.5yrs but I miss working in the clinical field and helping people, but I also like the office work also(organization and detail-oriented is my speciality) I'm ready to go back to school, (my kids are older 17 and 13) my husband is very supportive with it and also I take care of my grandparents, who are 90 and 85years old. I'm wondering if I'll have time to do it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 08:14 PM

1,919 posts, read 3,996,325 times
You absolutely go for it. My wife did this at 38 and went for a RN degree. We discussed what we needed to do to get ready, how we were going to do it while she was in school and all the possible ways she could qualify for grants,scholarships and such. We did it and now don't regret any part of the decision.
Again don't forget to thoroughly check out the ways to finance this so you don't have a mountain of bills to repay, they are there.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:38 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,412,885 times
Good luck! You can do it. Make sure your supportive husband makes sure the rest of your family tries to follow his lead.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:28 PM

4,249 posts, read 297,835 times
Go for it. I started last year and am 45 now!! One friend began at 40 and is now a RN 5 years later. Another friend started when she was 36 and got her batchelors by the time she was 40.

Another friend just began this semester and is 40 ; she has 3 kids, works, has a dh and home to take care of also.

go for it.

d

Old 02-09-2010, 08:22 PM

37 posts, read 80,009 times
Thank you all for the support. I can't wait to start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education