Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 10:41 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,202,674 times

Advertisements

If the parents didn't respond to the school's request for a meeting, the parents should be reported to DCF. And if it is even true that the mom had car trouble and couldn't make the meeting, I would think that she would have at least requested a phone conference. This isn't a minor thing like messing up the bathroom or stealing someone's pencil.

When my GD was 8, there was a child who would nut up in the classroom, throwing books, backpacks, turning over her desk. The teacher talked to the class when the girl was not there and gave them a code word. When the teacher said the code word it meant that the girl was about to go off and the kids were to duck under their desks. They practiced doing this..... I actually thought my GD misunderstood when she told me that and I spoke to her teacher. Yep, my GD was right.

Children like this, if their behavior is unaddressed, have no real future and will only get worse with time. No, a six year old should not be taken away in handcuffs, but neither should they be allowed to continue their behavior.

If it's true and the parents would not respond to the school's request for a meeting, the child should have been prohibited from returning to school until they get their act together. Maybe the school thought that the parents needed a wake up call, but there are better ways to do so, IMO.

Edit- Just found this online. Sounds as though these kids lost in the parent lotto- they sound like losers. And the mom is a child care provider???

Mother of handcuffed girl disputes reports she didn't meet with school officials over behavior » TCPalm.com

Last year, the parents were arrested for failing to appear in truancy court, the report said.

Franklin said this was a truancy complaint from the previous year involving her 9-year-old daughter, who missed 17 days of school without a doctor’s note. Most of the days missed were because of illness, other times the family car broke down and Franklin couldn’t get the children to school, she said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 12:46 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,415,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Did you ever try to restrain a feral cat or an angry dog?
They are a lot smaller than a crazy, out of control kid and take special equipment and experienced handling.
So unless you plan to equip the classroom with nets and poles with neck nooses, it’s best to leave it to the experts.

Yes, actually I have. And no, you don't need special equipment. Anything else?

Old 02-13-2010, 01:17 PM

297 posts, read 519,695 times
Yes let's try to calm down the kid who is throwing a pencil sharpener at our head. Do you know how fast the parents would sue if the school or a cop just touched their little angel? How is the school suppose to make her stop? This girl should not be in a normal classroom.

They put her in handcuffs because she was using her hands to make a danger situation for everyone else in the classroom. No hands = no throwing stuff. What were they suppose to do? Let her trash the classroom and risk a student or adult getting injured?

My aunt is a school nurse and she says there are kids like this who just go completely nuts in the classroom. She has to restrain them but it is very difficult when the kids are throwing stuff, screaming, biting, hitting, etc. And with how fast parents sue because of their little brat...

Old 02-13-2010, 03:40 PM

5,006 posts, read 10,682,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
If the parents didn't respond to the school's request for a meeting, the parents should be reported to DCF. And if it is even true that the mom had car trouble and couldn't make the meeting, I would think that she would have at least requested a phone conference. This isn't a minor thing like messing up the bathroom or stealing someone's pencil.

When my GD was 8, there was a child who would nut up in the classroom, throwing books, backpacks, turning over her desk. The teacher talked to the class when the girl was not there and gave them a code word. When the teacher said the code word it meant that the girl was about to go off and the kids were to duck under their desks. They practiced doing this..... I actually thought my GD misunderstood when she told me that and I spoke to her teacher. Yep, my GD was right.

Children like this, if their behavior is unaddressed, have no real future and will only get worse with time. No, a six year old should not be taken away in handcuffs, but neither should they be allowed to continue their behavior.

If it's true and the parents would not respond to the school's request for a meeting, the child should have been prohibited from returning to school until they get their act together. Maybe the school thought that the parents needed a wake up call, but there are better ways to do so, IMO.

Edit- Just found this online. Sounds as though these kids lost in the parent lotto- they sound like losers. And the mom is a child care provider???

Mother of handcuffed girl disputes reports she didn't meet with school officials over behavior » TCPalm.com

Last year, the parents were arrested for failing to appear in truancy court, the report said.

Franklin said this was a truancy complaint from the previous year involving her 9-year-old daughter, who missed 17 days of school without a doctor’s note. Most of the days missed were because of illness, other times the family car broke down and Franklin couldn’t get the children to school, she said.
Love the "parent lotto" reference

This is, indeed, a very sad situation. The parents obviously do not have a handle on things, and the kids are suffering.

Say what you will, I still believe that a child shouldn't be taken away in handcuffs or be penalized b/c he/she misses school due to an irresponsible parent. As usual, adults screw up and it is the children who suffer (and who clearly shouldn't). I think that all of the adults in this situation have failed these kids. If the parents were not properly caring for the kids, the school should have called DCF. It sounds as if the school just didn't want to deal with the situation and decided to pass the buck.

And I love the aformentioned story about the "code word" as I think that it is a great example of what I mentioned earlier about teachers who know what they're doing. Too bad this girl didn't have a teacher like your GD.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:51 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I wouldn't say crazy maybe ASD, ED, ODD but not crazy. She needs to be tested. Clearly there is something going on with this little girl, and she needs help.
Her mother doesn't think so... It's in the video...

Old 02-13-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Say what you will, I still believe that a child shouldn't be taken away in handcuffs or be penalized b/c he/she misses school due to an irresponsible parent. As usual, adults screw up and it is the children who suffer (and who clearly shouldn't). I think that all of the adults in this situation have failed these kids. If the parents were not properly caring for the kids, the school should have called DCF. It sounds as if the school just didn't want to deal with the situation and decided to pass the buck.
The little girl wasn't handcuffed because she missed school; she was handcuffed because she was a danger to others in the classroom. The school made several attempts to have meetings with the parents regarding the girl's behavior yet the parents did not show up.

Old 02-13-2010, 04:33 PM

5,006 posts, read 10,682,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler92 View Post
The little girl wasn't handcuffed because she missed school; she was handcuffed because she was a danger to others in the classroom. The school made several attempts to have meetings with the parents regarding the girl's behavior yet the parents did not show up.
I am very well aware of that. One child was taken away in handcuffs, the other (her sibling) was ordered to appear in truancy court. Both ended up in these situations due to their parents' irresponsibility and the lack of involvement on behalf of the school. If the school and the parents were taking care of these kids properly, the kids would not have ended up in truancy court or a mental institution.

If the parents missed several meetings and the school was truly concerned, then they should have called DCF--anything other than allowing the situation to escalate to the point that a child is handcuffed and commited to a mental institution.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:58 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,419,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
This is a tough situation. The first day when the child was out of control, had administration physically restrained her, would the parents then complain or sue about the restraint? This wasn't a case where letting her cool off would have worked. Were handcuffs extreme, yes. But having some type of officer restrain her was a cya move that may have been necessary.

My issues with this story: this behavior is not a first time thing and I find it hard to believe there has only been 1 request for a parental meeting. Whether or not the parent had a legitimate reason for missing the meeting, a follow-up should have been done. Also, had my child been handcuffed, there's no way he's going back to that school. Though I would have thought the child would be suspended, as a parent, I would have personally either found councelling for my child, or found a school that may have been a better fit. I feel like there's something someone isn't saying in this story.

I don't understand why or how she was placed in a mental health facility without parental consent. That's a whole other issue.
One has to wonder what this child's home life is like.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:19 PM

I think she is the queen at home. She is allowed to do whatever she wants because the parents don't give a crap and they don't want to get their little angel mad. She probably acts the same way at home and the parents just ignore it.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:44 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,433,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I wouldn't say crazy maybe ASD, ED, ODD but not crazy. She needs to be tested. Clearly there is something going on with this little girl, and she needs help.
Thank you. And thank you, Starlajane for your comment on handling such situations properly. I can't read the rest of the posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education