Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 12:11 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,692,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Did you ever try to restrain a feral cat or an angry dog?
They are a lot smaller than a crazy, out of control kid and take special equipment and experienced handling.
So unless you plan to equip the classroom with nets and poles with neck nooses, it’s best to leave it to the experts.
That's ridiculous. She's a little girl, not an animal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler92 View Post
The little girl wasn't handcuffed because she missed school; she was handcuffed because she was a danger to others in the classroom. The school made several attempts to have meetings with the parents regarding the girl's behavior yet the parents did not show up.
Wrong, she was removed from the classroom and was in the office.

Sounds to me like the school wanted to rid themselves of this child. Nothing adds up. She was out of control why? Was the teacher maybe doing something to push a 6 year old over the edge so she could get her out of the classroom?

Another thing, the principal is 8 months pregnant and ALLOWED a ranting 6 year old to hit her??? Then have her committed???? Say WHAT????

She is a 37 pound 6 year old and ANYBODY could have stopped her from throwing things or acting out like that. Seems the school was allowing her to get to the point of out of control so they could justify calling the police then mental health.

This little child needs SOMEONE on HER side, and NO ONE is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 03:26 PM

297 posts, read 519,923 times
Quote:
Sounds to me like the school wanted to rid themselves of this child. Nothing adds up. She was out of control why? Was the teacher maybe doing something to push a 6 year old over the edge so she could get her out of the classroom?
I wouldn't blame the school for wanting to get rid of the girl. She's throwing pencil sharpeners and telephones at people. Why would anyone want her around? Parents would definitely complain and would not want their kids in the same classroom. Also, why do you assume that the teacher did something to make the girl go crazy? Maybe the girl is just a brat? Maybe her parents helped her to become that way? I seriously doubt the teacher did something on purpose to make the girl throw a freakin' telephone.

Quote:
She is a 37 pound 6 year old and ANYBODY could have stopped her from throwing things or acting out like that.
If she's throwing a pencil sharpener or the telephone at you, what are you going to do to stop her? If the school laid at a hand on the brat, there would be a lawsuit. How do you stop her without touching her AT ALL? You can't grab her arm or anything.

If she has acted in this way in the office, then she has probably acted (or will) this way in the classroom. What if she throws something at a student? Here comes another lawsuit for the school. It's best for everyone for her to be removed from school.

Last edited by traveler92; 02-16-2010 at 03:44 PM..

Old 02-16-2010, 03:42 PM

Traveler, are you serious? A 6 year old? I've worked with lots and lots of kids in my day and NEVER had trouble with a 6 year old. If you're afraid of a little thing like that throwing something at you (shoot, she is so small she couldn't even pick up anything that weighed anything), then I hope you're not a parent.

This little thing is melting down for some reason and those at the school are either encouraging it, or allowing it to happen.

She needs help, not handcuffs.

If I was her parent, I would demand an outside investigation of that school and the way they treated her in general and find out their agenda.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:52 PM

297 posts, read 519,923 times
There is no way I could stop a 6-year-old who is throwing a pencil sharpener or a telephone at me without touching her. If I was allowed to grab her arm or something, then maybe, but without being able to lay a finger on the kid, no way. It's different for the school and parents. The school cannot touch the kid, the parents can. If a 6-year-old is throwing a telephone at Dad, Dad can grab their arm to get them to stop. What can the teacher do to stop the kid without actually touching her? The school could either handcuff the girl to stop her from using her hands to throw things or they use their ~*words*~ to get her to stop.

I don't see how the school has done anything to encourage the behavior. No other child is acting like this except for this girl. Also, I have never seen 6-year-olds throw tantrums like this girl does. I worked at a summer camp for 3 years with that age group and none of them, thank god, acted like that.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:23 PM

830 posts, read 2,712,292 times
Quote:
Traveler, are you serious? A 6 year old? I've worked with lots and lots of kids in my day and NEVER had trouble with a 6 year old. If you're afraid of a little thing like that throwing something at you (shoot, she is so small she couldn't even pick up anything that weighed anything), then I hope you're not a parent.
Oh my. I worked with one 4 year old who singlehandedly put 3 trained staff members (on different occasions) on light-duty work for months due to injuries inflicted by him. That was in a Special Day setting. Last month, a skinny 7 year old at my public elementary school injured an aide - she was just able to return to work last week. You may have worked with lots of kids, but you clearly haven't worked with these kinds. They exist. That's not necessarily to put blame on this particular child, parents, etc. (I don't know enough about the situation to make that judgement) but there are definitely 6 year olds out there who can bring down a healthy, full-sized adult - at least one not willing to use their strength to subdue or aggress against a child. Sure, I could probably stun a 6 year old who is behaving aggressively with a good blow to the head, but I'm not going to, no matter what they're doing.

Handcuffs sound extreme, but that's an issue to take up with the police, whom I assume used that method of restraint, not the school. At a certain point, behavior at school leaves the realm of something that the school can handle and becomes one which, for liability purposes, police must be called.

Now, if the child is going to continue to attend this school, the staff should be trained in ways to de-escalate her so that it doesn't come to this in the future. That might be a good idea even if she no longer attends, as the school is likely to have other kids to deal with with similar problems. It's not that uncommon, unfortunately.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcats View Post
You may have worked with lots of kids, but you clearly haven't worked with these kinds.
Oh, but I have. For years.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:18 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,081,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post

This little thing is melting down for some reason and those at the school are either encouraging it, or allowing it to happen.

She needs help, not handcuffs.

If I was her parent, I would demand an outside investigation of that school and the way they treated her in general and find out their agenda.
So, just because you've personally never had this sort of experience you think it's not possible another can?

If you were in this situation (a child throwing items at you), how would you handle it? How would you stop another person's child without laying your hand on them...because if you were to do so you would be sued and if you have so much experience working with children then you should know that.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:38 PM

830 posts, read 2,712,292 times
Quote:
Oh, but I have. For years
So if you've worked with 6 year olds who can bring down a healthy adult who is unwilling to hurt the child, then you agree that it is possible.

And if you don't agree that it is possible, then you haven't worked with them. Otherwise you'd know.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:11 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
So if you've worked with 6 year olds who can bring down a healthy adult who is unwilling to hurt the child, then you agree that it is possible.

And if you don't agree that it is possible, then you haven't worked with them. Otherwise you'd know.
I agree. And as the out of control, violent kids get older it just get's worse. Many teens are bigger than the adult teachers.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:24 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,193 times
Quote:
Oh my. I worked with one 4 year old who singlehandedly put 3 trained staff members (on different occasions) on light-duty work for months due to injuries inflicted by him. That was in a Special Day setting. Last month, a skinny 7 year old at my public elementary school injured an aide - she was just able to return to work last week. You may have worked with lots of kids, but you clearly haven't worked with these kinds. They exist. That's not necessarily to put blame on this particular child, parents, etc. (I don't know enough about the situation to make that judgement) but there are definitely 6 year olds out there who can bring down a healthy, full-sized adult - at least one not willing to use their strength to subdue or aggress against a child. Sure, I could probably stun a 6 year old who is behaving aggressively with a good blow to the head, but I'm not going to, no matter what they're doing.

Handcuffs sound extreme, but that's an issue to take up with the police, whom I assume used that method of restraint, not the school. At a certain point, behavior at school leaves the realm of something that the school can handle and becomes one which, for liability purposes, police must be called.
And if teachers and school staff haven't been trained in proper restraint procedures, they don't need to be trying. Far better to call in the local police than risk injuring either the child or staff.

I worked a lot of years in Baker Act receiving centers. Without a doubt, staff were more likely to be injured on the pediatric and adolescent units than anywhere else. You underestimate a sweet-faced little six-year-old once, you'll never do it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education