Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 07:00 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
golfgal - interesting numbers. The following simple math uses a proxy national expenditure per student of $10,000. (Thats in the ballpark from the web available data, I think its actually a bit higher for the current school year). So for your referenced school the following proxy gives an interesting picture:

2000 total students @ $10K = $20,000,000
200 special ed w/50% $s = $10,000,000
Special ed per capita = $50,000
1800 non-spec. ed. per capita = $5,556

It would be interesting to see the real numbers for each school district in the nation.
That would be about right. Consider that severely handicapped students have 1:1 ratio with the teacher and most pull out classes or inclusive classes rarely have more then a 4:1 ratio where as a regular classroom the ratio is 30:1 or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 07:32 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
That would be about right. Consider that severely handicapped students have 1:1 ratio with the teacher and most pull out classes or inclusive classes rarely have more then a 4:1 ratio where as a regular classroom the ratio is 30:1 or so.
Severaly handicapped students will have a 1:1 aide, not a teacher, and that person will paid significantly less than a teacher. The teacher would actually be responsible for several handicapped students. Inclusion classes, legally, may contain 40% SPED students, and most of them will at least come close to that number. When you add the support of the SPED teacher to that inclusion class, the result is that ALL of the students (regular ed ones, too) benefit from a lower teacher:student ratio.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:28 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,549,693 times
As a former teacher, the real issue is that inclusion is fine to a degree. How can a teacher expect to teach a class of 27, with some students with disabilities, learning, others with autism and then the students that are emotionally disturbed. The emotionally distrubed have a way of disrupting an entire class. Now, how do other children who want to learn - learn??

I can recall when I went to school, if you were good academically you went to AP classes, and if you weren't you were grouped into other classes.

I have no issues with 504 or getting students the accomodations they need. I need to ask is: where are the voices for the smart and gifted?

Old 02-18-2010, 10:34 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,433,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
That sucks, and it also happens to kids with no disabilities. I understand many of the reasons that public schools have trimmed everything that relates to enrichment in favor of basics (don't agree with it, but know the reasons why), but when a private school that specializes fails to meet students where they're at in all areas, I question if they're doing their job, since that's what they get paid to do. And I work for a private school myself.
My answer would be that the private school sees its purpose as meeting needs that are weaknesses or deficits, not providing advanced or gifted education. And the school has to justify keeping the student and seeking that very expensive tuition from the school system. As such, the school sees gifted education as beyond its purposes, and after all the student also has "deficits." Now, to me, a smart staff at such a school would be happy to provide some advanced education and bolster those strengths. But the school doesn't have to. I've fought this battle for a couple years now, and they treat me like the delusional mommy. The regular public school can't handle the behavioral issues. So for now, we're stuck, and I will look for ways to provide my son with something extra. Thanks for those of you who have expressed your support, and sorry if it appears I am hijacking this discussion. By sharing my story, I am showing support also to those who advocate on behalf of special needs children, and gifted children as well.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
Severaly handicapped students will have a 1:1 aide, not a teacher, and that person will paid significantly less than a teacher. The teacher would actually be responsible for several handicapped students. Inclusion classes, legally, may contain 40% SPED students, and most of them will at least come close to that number. When you add the support of the SPED teacher to that inclusion class, the result is that ALL of the students (regular ed ones, too) benefit from a lower teacher:student ratio.
It is still 1:1 and VERY EXPENSIVE. Aides around here still make about $30K full time plus full benefits. Having a SPED aid in the room technically lowers the teacher/student ratio but they are not require to help the rest of the class either. Just because they are in the room doesn't mean they are an aid in that classroom. The point still is, the federal government instituted these requirements under the guise that they would PAY for them and they don't so it falls upon the shoulders of the schools themselves to FUND the programs yet they can't administer the programs in any way, shape or form. Since you can not legally cut back on SPED programs once they are in place their funding never gets cut so when a school has to make cuts in the budget ALL of those cuts are from the regular ed programs. SPED programs should be subject to the SAME cuts if the school's operating budget pays for those cuts.

Old 02-20-2010, 03:51 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
It is still 1:1 and VERY EXPENSIVE. Aides around here still make about $30K full time plus full benefits. Having a SPED aid in the room technically lowers the teacher/student ratio but they are not require to help the rest of the class either. Just because they are in the room doesn't mean they are an aid in that classroom. The point still is, the federal government instituted these requirements under the guise that they would PAY for them and they don't so it falls upon the shoulders of the schools themselves to FUND the programs yet they can't administer the programs in any way, shape or form. Since you can not legally cut back on SPED programs once they are in place their funding never gets cut so when a school has to make cuts in the budget ALL of those cuts are from the regular ed programs. SPED programs should be subject to the SAME cuts if the school's operating budget pays for those cuts.
Definitely not the case everywhere. My mom's been a sp. ed aide for coming up on two decades, and the aides (although they are required to have minimum associate's degrees and 4-year degrees are given preference) are not paid anything resembling $30k, are kept an hour below full time to avoid having to provide any benefits, and do not receive union representation in her district. My mom is one of the more highly paid paras given her seniority, but it's still not even close to $30k. And certainly loads less than even a first-year teacher.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:47 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
Quote:

Not true. Here they make about 11$ an hour with no benefits unless contracted, and contracts are very hard to get. They are also prohibited from working over 36 hrs a week. Figure the students are only there 35 hrs a week, so they get there 10 min before them and stay 10 min after they get on the bus. Even the contracted TAs only make about 26K. First year teachers make 41K+.

I'm a sped teacher I have 5 students and 2 TAs.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Not true. Here they make about 11$ an hour with no benefits unless contracted, and contracts are very hard to get. They are also prohibited from working over 36 hrs a week. Figure the students are only there 35 hrs a week, so they get there 10 min before them and stay 10 min after they get on the bus. Even the contracted TAs only make about 26K. First year teachers make 41K+.

I'm a sped teacher I have 5 students and 2 TAs.
So you have a 3:5 teacher:student ratio. It is STILL EXPENSIVE for the school district to run the program. Again, none is saying that the programs shouldn't be there, they SHOULD be subject to the same cuts as the rest of the school and they are NOT. Salaries are not comparable across the nation. It is very possible that your $26K or $11/hour is the same thing as $40K here-cost of living is very different everywhere.

Also, what percentage of your district's operating budget is the SPED budget and how many students does that serve. How many students total in the district??

Old 02-21-2010, 12:01 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
What's really expensive for my home district is when they make the decision to foot the bill to farm profoundly disabled kids out to special schools rather than hire qualified personnel to work with those students in-district. I now work for one such school, and the costs to attend per year are comparable to the costs per year of attending the private college of which I am an alum...however, the students will likely spend more than the four years I spent at that tuition rate. I can't imagine that it's cost effective. The district I live in now also largely ships out various special needs students, and of course are required by law to pay for whatever education it is that they've determined they can't provide.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:43 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
What's really expensive for my home district is when they make the decision to foot the bill to farm profoundly disabled kids out to special schools rather than hire qualified personnel to work with those students in-district. I now work for one such school, and the costs to attend per year are comparable to the costs per year of attending the private college of which I am an alum...however, the students will likely spend more than the four years I spent at that tuition rate. I can't imagine that it's cost effective. The district I live in now also largely ships out various special needs students, and of course are required by law to pay for whatever education it is that they've determined they can't provide.

We had this situation in my hometown. It was discussed at a town meeting during budget time. Many townspeople were completely unaware of the laws mandating that if a child is profoundly disabled, we are still obligated to provide him or her with the most appropriate education, and that we need to pay tuition for the child to go to a school which could provide the very highly-skilled teachers that the regular school could not.

I think that when people complain loudly about the costs of special education, many are completely unaware of these mandates. I find that scenario unfortunate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education