Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 08:35 AM

68 posts, read 344,312 times

Advertisements

I went to my daughter's elementary school board meeting last night. They have to cut 2.2 million dollars for their school district!

We live in a "smallish" bay area city and they are wanting to put 1 school principal for two schools (that would cut about 110k of the bat!

I never thought that a school principal made that much! Wow!! Almost like a doctor's salary, in my opinion.

They want to increase class size from 20 to 28 and get rid of teachers as well. Teh ywant to cut the music program, and the P.E program for the Jr. high too. They want ot cut this and that....

But they never mentioned anything about cutting back their pay rate...the board members.

So I am wondering if anyone knows how I can find out this info....if they have taken a pay cut?

They seems to always cut the "basic" ...like teachers and such, but those "basics" are VERY important and will make a big impact. And I don't hear about them getting rid of bonuses or taking pay cuts!

I swear, I feel like we are heading to a depression. Anyone have any input advise for me as to how to address the board members with my concerns in a professional manner. After the meeting they allow us (it's our right) to ask, comment about the proposed budget cuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 09:01 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,543,311 times
How to find out if board members are getting a pay cut: call them. If that doesn't work, call the superintentdent. If that doesn't work, call the media.

Yes, we are facing some serious economic times. That's why people are voting out politicians who are spending way more than we bring in b/c they are too afraid to implement v. necessary austerity measures.

Those cuts sound reasonable to me. I agree w/ cutting out PE when so many kids do sports after school anyway (wasn't that way when I was a kid but is v. much the norm now). I say just teach the basics: reading, writing, science and math. Everything else should be handled by individual families as they see fit. For those who can't pick up their kids from school after the basic subjects have been taught b/c they are working, they can pay for daycare.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:19 PM

37,080 posts, read 42,050,241 times
110K isn't all that much for somone at the level of Principal when you consider the education and work experience that went on before that.

As far as paycuts go, there are union rules and regulations that limit that. Although cutting salaries to create even MORE people who can't afford anything doesn't seem like the best idea anyway.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:48 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,177,246 times
Take a look at the school board budget in your district. Pay is usually the least of the issues. For example, our district pays $900 a month just for the superintendent's car allowance. You don't want to know what they spend on cell phones-- and despite the state telling districts to cut back specifically on phone costs, this budget item has steadily increased the last few years. Then there are travel costs for frequent out of state (and out of country) trips for the superintendent and many other district employees, salaries for twice as many assistant superintendents as any comparably-sized district, salary PLUS retirement pay for double-dipping employees, a 24-hour accessible gym at the district headquarters (and security to protect those few who use it at 3AM)...the list goes on.

And that doesn't even include the cost of lawsuits that could easily have been avoided, and the three fulltime attorneys they keep on staff.

Old 02-19-2010, 03:17 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,147,762 times
The school board members most likely don't make a salary. Most receive a SMALL stipend per meeting--our school board members get $54/meeting. What is there to cut from that??

As for the principal's salary, that is not very much for the level of responsibility and no where NEAR a doctor's salary (which usually starts in the $300K range or more).

Cell phones--my SIL is a principal at a middle school and she is REQUIRED to have her phone on and with her 24/7/365-you bet they pay her cell phone bill. If your company required that of you, would you be willing to pay the cost of the cell phone?

OP, it sounds like your district is in deep financial trouble and you have 2 choices, be willing to accept a crappy education for your kids or help the district come up with the money to keep the programs. Our state is examining how to cut funding to the schools and if that happens our district will have to cut $19 million out of the budget. We are a pretty large district so that isn't as bad as it sounds but with the number of households in our district, $19 million is equal to a tax increase of, on AVERAGE, $200 a YEAR/household. That number doesn't include any funds from business tax increases either, if that is included that number goes to under $100/year--one less Starbucks/week. Is is REALLY worth the cuts you will suffer for $100 a YEAR??

Old 02-19-2010, 03:47 PM

4,957 posts, read 10,628,417 times
A lot of principals actually are doctors (doctorate degree in Education).

For what it's worth, I think that having one principal for two schools is a disaster in the making. Has anyone approached either the principals or the teachers with options other than losing their jobs, like switching to part-time and/or taking a pay cut? It really is a shame that board members don't even allow the faculty to have any say in the matter.

I also agree that you should find out if the board members make any $$. If the principal doesn't know, then the superintendent should. And if they are making ANY $$, then they should be the first the accept a pay cut (or no pay at all). I would make such a stink if I found out that they were proposing all of these budget cuts while excepting themselves from such deprivations.

I applaud your initiative and think that you are posing an excellent question that many don't even consider (I know I haven't). Good luck and keep us updated.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:59 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,840,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea2010 View Post
I went to my daughter's elementary school board meeting last night. They have to cut 2.2 million dollars for their school district!

We live in a "smallish" bay area city and they are wanting to put 1 school principal for two schools (that would cut about 110k of the bat!

I never thought that a school principal made that much! Wow!! Almost like a doctor's salary, in my opinion.

They want to increase class size from 20 to 28 and get rid of teachers as well. Teh ywant to cut the music program, and the P.E program for the Jr. high too. They want ot cut this and that....

But they never mentioned anything about cutting back their pay rate...the board members.

So I am wondering if anyone knows how I can find out this info....if they have taken a pay cut?

They seems to always cut the "basic" ...like teachers and such, but those "basics" are VERY important and will make a big impact. And I don't hear about them getting rid of bonuses or taking pay cuts!

I swear, I feel like we are heading to a depression. Anyone have any input advise for me as to how to address the board members with my concerns in a professional manner. After the meeting they allow us (it's our right) to ask, comment about the proposed budget cuts.
It is usually easy to find out if board members make money. Most school board members don't make a whole lot of money so there probably isn't that much to cut.

Doctors make much more than $117K per year. More like $250K.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:21 PM

6,293 posts, read 10,554,423 times
Our district is losing something like 49.9 mill.!!!!

Old 02-19-2010, 06:54 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,135,489 times
I was elected and served 2 terms as a school board member. ( about 15 years ago)

Regarding budget cuts--------I recall what our Supt told the board when we had to make big budget cuts.

He stated in a small school district, salaries account for more than 90% of the school's budget. Thus, if you are not willing to cut positions you will never reach your budget goal.

Tinkering with bus routes etc are only " cosmetic cuts".
The board members can leave the meeting proud they made some cuts, offended no one, but they failed to make the hard decisions to make the budget cuts to match the revenue.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:59 PM

8,820 posts, read 15,261,453 times
Our school board members get paid $20,000 a year, (plus and additional $2k for chairman) but it is a large district.
The total school budget is $2.3 billion for next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education