Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 05:27 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,533,543 times

Advertisements

So I have a conference that got a little like an interrogation last Tuesday. My admin scheduled the finishing conference this Tuesday. My student has a horrible attitude and is very negative. When I call her mother she gives one word answers with a horrible tone. This is b/c she doesn't like me. She has already told my principle that she thinks I am racist. Funny to that b/c I am married to a black woman.

Anyway

This is what I want to say:"When I call you about an attitude I get attitude." That will not go over well with her.

Can anyone reword it to still be short, simple, and effective?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 05:39 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,833,975 times
"I don't believe you're receptive to my concerns" ???

Old 02-27-2010, 05:56 PM

605 posts, read 2,160,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
"I don't believe you're receptive to my concerns" ???
Nicely said, Dark of the Moon.

Keep in mind that while you have legitimate concerns about this student, her mother may be projecting negative experiences from her past onto you. It doesn't make the mother right, but it does mean that you are fighting an uphill battle against our culture's history of tending to be more likely to label black students as low achieving or having behavioral problems. For a parent who may have experienced this in the past (or has had friends/family members who experienced this in the past), it could be harder for her to trust that your concerns are legitimate. Again, that doesn't justify mom's bad attitude, but it is something to be aware of.

Though you may want to be succinct, specific information will help your case. You may have already given that information in your meeting, however. If you can say, for example, that for the past three homework assignments child has turned in her work x days late, that's data that is hard to refute or attribute to racism.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:06 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,240,001 times
I've been working with _____ and I need your help...

I got that call from a teacher many years ago.... And she got our help.
_____ is now an RN...

Old 02-27-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. 14th & You View Post
Nicely said, Dark of the Moon.

Keep in mind that while you have legitimate concerns about this student, her mother may be projecting negative experiences from her past onto you. It doesn't make the mother right, but it does mean that you are fighting an uphill battle against our culture's history of tending to be more likely to label black students as low achieving or having behavioral problems. For a parent who may have experienced this in the past (or has had friends/family members who experienced this in the past), it could be harder for her to trust that your concerns are legitimate. Again, that doesn't justify mom's bad attitude, but it is something to be aware of.

Though you may want to be succinct, specific information will help your case. You may have already given that information in your meeting, however. If you can say, for example, that for the past three homework assignments child has turned in her work x days late, that's data that is hard to refute or attribute to racism.
Thanks,
Acutally this students is bright and makes good grades. The thing here is her bad attitude and negative behavior. She gets mad and says "I'm a tell my momma you won't let me ............" under her breath. That just gets old.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:09 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
You need to make it clear to the parent that you want her child to succeed but that won't be possible if she won't listen to you. Then explain what she does. Ask the mother for her help. You need the mother to be on your side to help her daughter.

BTW, that's Principal, not principle.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:11 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike052082 View Post
So I have a conference that got a little like an interrogation last Tuesday. My admin scheduled the finishing conference this Tuesday. My student has a horrible attitude and is very negative. When I call her mother she gives one word answers with a horrible tone. This is b/c she doesn't like me. She has already told my principle that she thinks I am racist. Funny to that b/c I am married to a black woman.

Anyway

This is what I want to say:"When I call you about an attitude I get attitude." That will not go over well with her.

"Our level of communication seems strained and inadequate" bit*c* h

20yrsinBranson LOL

Old 02-27-2010, 09:23 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,421,033 times
What we've got here is failure...to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:53 AM

Thanks you all. I think I have some good starting points from the suggestions above. My principal just tells me that is all about perception and we will move on. Well we will see how this goes. I want to say so many things but it will best not to. Funny thing is that I was so nonconfrontational in the last meeting that included three other teachers and a admin that they took it as disrespectful. I will try to remember to keep you guys posted on this.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:54 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,831,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike052082 View Post
She has already told my principle that she thinks I am racist.
Funny to that b/c I am married to a black woman.
This is what I want to say:"When I call you about an attitude I get attitude."
That will not go over well with her.
Your wife probably can.
Why don’t you have her make the call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education