Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 06:26 PM

4,381 posts, read 4,230,703 times

Advertisements

Governors, state school superintendents propose common academic standards

By Nick Anderson
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, March 11, 2010

Maryland and several other states are pushing rapidly toward adoption of new academic standards proposed Wednesday for English and math, adding momentum to the campaign to establish common expectations for public school students across the country.

washingtonpost.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 05:44 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,278,608 times
So, does this mean that states that already have high standards and good schools will have to lower those so other states can catch up?

Old 03-11-2010, 06:42 AM

843 posts, read 1,430,930 times
I hope it will be like other federal standards that it can be more strict but can't be any lower than this.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:47 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
This would actually be a good idea. Once these standards are in place then individual states could supplement with whatever special curriculum or particular leanings they like. Texas, I'm talking to you.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:33 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
Well we see how well NCLB worked out..a Federal mandate.
I don't put much faith in national standards as they would have to take both the highest and lowest into consideration and come out somewhere in the middle.

I hear there's also $$$ strings attached as well, just like NCLB.
Regulating by punishment doesn't work well. Threaten to hold back money unless your kids pass just makes everyone lower the bar.

Better to have a carrot approach. Reward those that improve but don't punish them if they don't.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:36 PM

138 posts, read 339,682 times
I hope Massachusetts doesn't accept these standards as the standards Mass has now as far above what the Federal standards will call for.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostontopueblo View Post
I hope Massachusetts doesn't accept these standards as the standards Mass has now as far above what the Federal standards will call for.
48 states are onboard with this. Just Texas and Alaska are the holdouts

Old 03-12-2010, 10:19 AM

1,000 posts, read 2,350,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
48 states are onboard with this. Just Texas and Alaska are the holdouts
I'll say this much...for better or worse, Texas is very "Texan" when it comes to their education system. They stick to their guns and definately walk to their own beat in terms of procedures, what is expected, and how how everything is handled. They really don't quite seem to care what other states are doing and are extremely particular. My PA certificate can get me into just about anywhere as far as recertification goes..but in Texas I have to take two entrance exams and jump through a few other hoops despite having actually majored in education and completing a much more rigorous certification process and MUCH more time in the classroom for PA certification. Trying to get everybody on board for this will be a bit of a challenge, but national standards would help a lot in my oppinion...that's if it's done correctly.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TelecasterBlues View Post
I'll say this much...for better or worse, Texas is very "Texan" when it comes to their education system. They stick to their guns and definately walk to their own beat in terms of procedures, what is expected, and how how everything is handled. They really don't quite seem to care what other states are doing and are extremely particular. My PA certificate can get me into just about anywhere as far as recertification goes..but in Texas I have to take two entrance exams and jump through a few other hoops despite having actually majored in education and completing a much more rigorous certification process and MUCH more time in the classroom for PA certification. Trying to get everybody on board for this will be a bit of a challenge, but national standards would help a lot in my oppinion...that's if it's done correctly.
And we have an example that has history..NCLB.
What makes you think this national standards will work.
What history does the Fed have of bettering something by interference ?
Exactly what PROBLEM here do they think they are fixing ?
Many times the government throws bandaids at problems and never actually fixes them.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:40 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,357,461 times
It doesn't surprise me in the least that Texas is the holdout. They seem to think quite highly of themselves down there.

As a high school teacher, I think having national standards is a wonderful idea. Just as others have stated, minimum national standards do not affect the higher-level states like Massachusetts, but it could have a big impact on lower level states like Mississippi and, yes, my own state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education