Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 02:02 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,351,090 times

Advertisements

I have met friends who were educated under the British system (in the Caribbean) and they are some of the most intelligent people I have met in life (and I have known lots of smart people having attended a specialized HS in NYC and a Seven Sister college).

Many were poor but they still had access to a quality educational system. They read and write well, do math & science, use logic, know about arts & literature, and many speak two languages. Most of all, their core knowledge prepared them for higher education and work.

In many ways it seems that the British system has high standards but "keeps it simple," and people learn. Students learn a set core of subjects and other practical courses that prepare them for further academic studies. Their competency is based on a exam at the completion of their studies.

Core Subjects

English
Math
Science
Other Subjects
Languages
Technology
Humanities
Arts

Those who aren't prepared for further academic studies have state-run vocational programs and don't have to pay high fees to a private school to learn a trade.

To me this is simple and makes sense. Am I missing something? Why can't we take this approach in the US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 02:21 PM

549 posts, read 1,929,373 times
That's because they don't have behavior issues in the Caribbean. Any and all nails that stick out will be pounded back in (almost literally).

Honestly? I don't know. Maybe the fact that there's no real discipline in America is a factor. Maybe schools in America are constantly trying to be the top, most innovative school that they don't stick with what works.

I've never seen a lesson taught in the Caribbeans. Heck, I've only seen lessons taught in one county in America. I'm certainly not the most qualified to speak on this subject. Though, I would assume that there's more than just one factor involved in the answer.

Old 03-14-2010, 02:58 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,278,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by endersshadow View Post
That's because they don't have behavior issues in the Caribbean. Any and all nails that stick out will be pounded back in (almost literally).

Honestly? I don't know. Maybe the fact that there's no real discipline in America is a factor. Maybe schools in America are constantly trying to be the top, most innovative school that they don't stick with what works.

I've never seen a lesson taught in the Caribbeans. Heck, I've only seen lessons taught in one county in America. I'm certainly not the most qualified to speak on this subject. Though, I would assume that there's more than just one factor involved in the answer.
I have to agree with this. Other countries are allowed to only educate the best where in the US we have to educate everyone. Also, I don't see any difference in the core learning you posted vs what is required for graduation in our schools.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I have to agree with this. Other countries are allowed to only educate the best where in the US we have to educate everyone. Also, I don't see any difference in the core learning you posted vs what is required for graduation in our schools.
Hi,
From what I understand, reading and math are the core competencies under no child left behind. This is how students and schools are measured and how funding is distributed. The focus on reading and math tests scores has led school systems to eliminate other courses which, IMO, are equally important to a child's growth.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:19 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,366,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
To me this is simple and makes sense. Am I missing something? Why can't we take this approach in the US?
Depends on what area you live. The US is huge compared to other countries, and these days parents are looking for the "good" school districts because they want the kids to have a good education. There are definitely good school districts and of course not so good districts.

Mainly the issue, from my perception, is that of the students' attitude. Of course they also tend to be in poor neighborhoods and possibly have more parental/social issues.

Competitive schools are highly competitive in academics and sports, so the students want to beat their rival schools and students and therefore put in an effort to excel. Clearly this is not the case with all schools.

The high school I went to was a middle class area (with maybe a small percent of lower income parents), but everyone had the same classes available to them. They also had local Vo-tech class you could go to in lieu of class at the high school. It's also one of those districts where former students sometimes show up as the new teachers at the schools.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
Mainly the issue, from my perception, is that of the students' attitude. Of course they also tend to be in poor neighborhoods and possibly have more parental/social issues.
I agree that student attitudes and parent involvement are somewhat correlated to social/economic issues but as I stated in my post, my Caribbean friends were poor -- much poorer than the kids here -- and they had a free, quality education. The quest for "good districts" and private schools was of no concern. Perhaps the discipline methods keep kids in line as another poster mentioned.

Quote:
The high school I went to was a middle class area (with maybe a small percent of lower income parents), but everyone had the same classes available to them. They also had local Vo-tech class you could go to in lieu of class at the high school. It's also one of those districts where former students sometimes show up as the new teachers at the schools.
That's great and more of what we need. Not every kid will thrive in an academic environment but we all need jobs so why not offer Vo-tech as an option everywhere?

Old 03-14-2010, 03:57 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,366,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post

That's great and more of what we need. Not every kid will thrive in an academic environment but we all need jobs so why not offer Vo-tech as an option everywhere?
It depends on the area of the country. In the smaller Midwest areas I would say schools on average are better than what you'd find in urban areas. That's just my opinion. I noticed my HS still offers band, orchestra, PE, Latin, art, etc... now they even have Chinese. I think that cost of living definitely plays a factor, and that smaller cities and towns may be more school supportive.

Old 03-14-2010, 05:42 PM

Question Have you experienced the British educational system?

In your opinion, how does it compare to the US educational system?

Old 03-14-2010, 05:52 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,278,608 times
Quote:
It depends on the area of the country. In the smaller Midwest areas I would say schools on average are better than what you'd find in urban areas. That's just my opinion. I noticed my HS still offers band, orchestra, PE, Latin, art, etc... now they even have Chinese. I think that cost of living definitely plays a factor, and that smaller cities and towns may be more school supportive.
I agree. We don't have Latin or orchestra at our high school but we have Japanese, Chinese, French, Spanish, German, Russian (I think that is all of them). Our band program is huge-7 concert bands, 3 jazz bands, several small ensembles and a HUGE national caliber marching band.

Our core requirements for graduation are 4 years English, 4 years Social Studies, 3 years math, 3 years science, credits in music, arts, Economics, Home Ec, 2 years foreign language, 2 years PE. The kids also have a whole host of great electives to choose from (advanced math, science, social, language arts, etc.) along with a full compliment of AP classes. Our state also has the option for juniors and seniors to take classes at the 4 year colleges for free and get dual credit for college and high school. Some kids take this program full time and graduate from high school and start college with enough credits for a junior standing.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I agree. We don't have Latin or orchestra at our high school but we have Japanese, Chinese, French, Spanish, German, Russian (I think that is all of them). Our band program is huge-7 concert bands, 3 jazz bands, several small ensembles and a HUGE national caliber marching band.

Our core requirements for graduation are 4 years English, 4 years Social Studies, 3 years math, 3 years science, credits in music, arts, Economics, Home Ec, 2 years foreign language, 2 years PE. The kids also have a whole host of great electives to choose from (advanced math, science, social, language arts, etc.) along with a full compliment of AP classes. Our state also has the option for juniors and seniors to take classes at the 4 year colleges for free and get dual credit for college and high school. Some kids take this program full time and graduate from high school and start college with enough credits for a junior standing.
What happens to the kids who fail the core requirements? Are there vo-tech options?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education