U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 05:42 PM

218 posts, read 1,079,918 times

Advertisements

As a veteran educator who is passionate about the children I teach, I've been seeing a lot on here about "good schools" and "bad schools." What, would you say, is a "good school?" I'm curious, and you can't rely on test scores because they are biased.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 06:22 PM

985 posts, read 5,286,868 times
Here is thread we discussed before.

What makes a bad/good school?

Old 06-04-2007, 06:31 PM

218 posts, read 1,079,918 times
Smile Thanks!

Thanks, as you can see, I just got on here and wasn't thinking about this site back in February! Quite a few others weren't either, but thanks for letting showing this to me!

Old 06-04-2007, 06:34 PM

2,065 posts, read 4,404,099 times
Aww....that's an easy answer: A good school is where the money is, a bad school is where the money isn't.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:46 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,129,902 times
For me it's a combination of factors.... student to teacher ratio, demographics, percent getting free lunch, percent passing test scores, how much negative activity takes place in the school (guns found, fights, etc.).

Old 06-07-2007, 12:09 PM

548 posts, read 2,428,385 times
For me it has to do with class size, whether I feel like the teachers care/nurture the children, extracurricular activities, day to day safety, respect shown toward students and toward teachers/administrators, etc. It also, quite honestly for me, has to do with where the kids go to college. If only 50% of kids go on to a 4-year college, or if the schools they go to are mediocre, that's not a great school imo. A school where most (90%+) of the kids go on to good 4-year colleges (uh oh...do Ihave to define a good college now? ), will have an atmosphere of expectation that the kids do well and that they too will go on to succeed in college and beyond. I think it turns inot a self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts--if the expectation is there, then it happens.

And I also look at test scores for our demographic (whether kids who are learning ESL are having trouble on standardized tests has no bearing on how my kids will do on them, so I look at the scores for kids who are like mine (race, economic status, parents' education level, etc. It's broken down this way on greatschools), though of course that's not the be and end all.

Oh, and diversity is important to me. A liberal bent to it all is a cherry on the cake (is that the expression)?!

Old 06-07-2007, 01:25 PM

2,356 posts, read 2,619,400 times
Are we talking about colleges, high schools, elementary schools, etc?

For HS, I'd look at:
-What % of the student body attends college?
-What colleges do graduates attend?
-What do the average SAT/ACT scores look like?
-What % of the students are below the poverty level?
-How do the various test scores compare with other local schools?

Some less tangible things would be:
-What extracurriculars are offered?
-Are the sports teams consistently competitive?
-Do the students drink alcohol? Smoke pot? Snort cocaine?
-What sort of relationship does the faculty have with the students? (i.e. Is there any mutual trust, or is everything about control?)

You obviously can't pick up on some of these things off of statistics; many of them are subjective. But IMO these are some of the more important qualities of a good school.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:56 AM

356 posts, read 1,090,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Are we talking about colleges, high schools, elementary schools, etc?

For HS, I'd look at:
-What % of the student body attends college?
-What colleges do graduates attend?
-What do the average SAT/ACT scores look like?
-What % of the students are below the poverty level?
-How do the various test scores compare with other local schools?

Some less tangible things would be:
-What extracurriculars are offered?
-Are the sports teams consistently competitive?
-Do the students drink alcohol? Smoke pot? Snort cocaine?
-What sort of relationship does the faculty have with the students? (i.e. Is there any mutual trust, or is everything about control?)

You obviously can't pick up on some of these things off of statistics; many of them are subjective. But IMO these are some of the more important qualities of a good school.
I totally agree, you might add local, regional, and state reputation. And the % of students involved in extracurricular activities.

Old 06-11-2007, 04:50 AM

4,085 posts, read 10,137,788 times
Very sad, but true. We just enrolled our kids in the school with the highest test scores in the area and it is considered the "best" in our district. Already I have been solicited to donate over $500. $200 to the library and $300 to the PTA. Then there have been a few more requests for smaller donations for things.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Aww....that's an easy answer: A good school is where the money is, a bad school is where the money isn't.

Old 06-14-2007, 03:31 PM

15,254 posts, read 16,743,207 times
Something else to think about: Some friends moved to Denver recently and, based on their research, moved into a neighborhood with a really good school. Apparently, one of the reasons it's so good is that everyone who goes there is very wealthy. Because my friends are not as wealthy, their daughter is having a hard time fitting in because she doesn't wear the right clothes and have a cell phone in the 7th grade. They're already thinking about moving her to some sort of performing arts magnet school.

The moral of the story: If your child is miserable, it's not a good school, regardless of the other measurements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or