Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 08:04 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,166,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Personally, I think job creation will follow education. If students are educated to the point where they can start companies and create jobs, the jobs will exist. If they leave school uneducated and unable to think critically and create opportunities, then jobs will continue to be elusive.
Yes, I agree that education is extremely important, and I see your point, but there are many other reasons why jobs are being outsourced besides a lack of education IMO. Technology replacing workers, profit margins, poorly thought out regulatory laws...the list goes on and on.

I try to support local businesses wherever possible, but to me, regardless of how many people we educate, there will still be those who are great workers, but lack the motivation and/or capability of starting up companies. They may be great at building something, but they may not be good at attending classes.

That's a purely "human nature" thing that we have to work realistically with to me. I always hope along with many others that anyone can do anything that they want (and many can) but I also know that there will always those who will need to work for someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 10:51 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,625,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyolady View Post
Where does your DD go to school? I teach in a WY and our kids currently go to school from 8:00 - 3:30pm with a 25 minute lunch, 5 days a week for 187 days a year, going back the 3rd wk of Aug and getting out the end of the 1st wk in June. And we BARELY meet the time our state requires our kids be in school for a year. If we have any snow days, those are tacked onto the end of the year.
Kentucky.

State reqs are 177 days of instruction, which are min 6hrs long. The equivalent of 1062 instructional hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education