Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 10:37 AM

37,751 posts, read 40,823,676 times

Advertisements

I thought I posted about this before but can't find the post with a search. What do you you think of a four day school week? I'm assuming the amount of weekly hours would be the same so the school days would be longer. Please tell us if you are a teacher, a parent, a student or none of those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 10:39 AM

3,321 posts, read 7,936,184 times
Wouldn't work. A ton of school revenue is made by sports. Baseball, football, swimming, lacrosse, and a few others need daylight to practice at many high schools. Sure, lights help but not every high school has enough lights...I know mine didn't and most around mine didn't as well.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:21 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,368,550 times
I think a lot of working parents would be upset at having to find alternative care for their kids one day a week.
I also think that the kids would get pretty burnt out long before the school day ended and would probably not learn as much in those late afternoon classes.
As for teachers, it depends on whether or not they also have to take a pay cut.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:29 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,391,829 times
As a parent of a high schooler, I would love it.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:41 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,908,678 times
As a soon-to-be teacher, 3 day weekends sound awesome. I can't imagine making kids sit still that long though--especially the little guys. Focus runs out at some point, and after that point any time is wasted.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:50 PM

831 posts, read 1,576,882 times
I am a parent of a 5th grader and I would love it. Our kids are only kids for so long, I would love to have an extra day a week with her. I am not a big fan of public school, I homeschooled her through 3rd grade. I may homeschool again part time when she would start middle school. I would send her to school for spanish, band, PE, lunch and then cheerleading after school. I look at school as a place for her to make friends, but I would educate her.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:01 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,420,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I thought I posted about this before but can't find the post with a search. What do you you think of a four day school week? I'm assuming the amount of weekly hours would be the same so the school days would be longer. Please tell us if you are a teacher, a parent, a student or none of those.
I'm a teacher. I would love to see a four day week and a longer year. I think time to digest material is crucial. If I had my choice, the extra day off would be Wednesday. My students complain all the time that they have too much homework and too little time to do it in. A day in the middle of the week to catch up may be just what the doctor ordered.

As a teacher, I'd love a full day to prep during the week. Then maybe I could actually have a weekend once in a while.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:02 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,420,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
I think a lot of working parents would be upset at having to find alternative care for their kids one day a week.
I also think that the kids would get pretty burnt out long before the school day ended and would probably not learn as much in those late afternoon classes.
As for teachers, it depends on whether or not they also have to take a pay cut.
Why would the teachers take a pay cut? They'd still be putting in the same hours.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:25 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,823,980 times
I am a teacher and a parent and I do not like the idea of a 4 day school week. As a teacher I can tell you that quality instruction is key to a good education. However, most kids cannot accept instruction for long periods of time. So although kids would be in school for the same number of hours a week, they would most likely NOT receive as much instruction as they would in a 5 day school week. Additionally, the curriculum would be very compressed because everything would need to be covered in 4 school days instead of 5. There are some classes where daily practice of a skill helps it develop. Having 3 days a week off will definitely affect students in those classes.

As a parent I might like 4 days a week. It would be nice to have an extra day with my kids.

I think it could be problematic for extracurricular activities. Some sports teams practice daily and have multiple games in a week. If the kids had to leave early for an away game they would miss more of their school day than they currently miss. In addition, it would be difficult for parents to transport kids to practice on non school days. In some areas of the country schools do not all have lights (most around here have lights) so practice time would be cut short for outdoor sports.

It would also give kids fewer hours a day to do school work even though there would be an extra day to do work. For longer assignments it would be fine, but for classes with daily work the kids would have an awfully long school day and then have to come home and do even more work.

I wonder what would happen to crime rates with a 4 day school week. With idle, unsupervised teens having an entire day to get into trouble I imagine crime rates would soar.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:37 PM

268 posts, read 452,584 times
When I was in school we had three day weekends after Christmas.

School hours were 7:10 AM to 3:40 PM

That was Montrose County, CO

They stopped doing it in 2003, I believe, when a few parents in the district complained enough times to the school board.

I don't see anything wrong with 4 day weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education