Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 06:10 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
I don't think you understand what I'm saying. I get where you're coming from, but being that I was a teenager got to long ago (6) and as I used to teach high school, I'm fully aware of the way kids talk. And, the truly educated don't talk in this manner.
Maybe its an LA thing but I have heard very well-heeled and well-educated teens using these terms. We'll just have to agree to disagree on the matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 09:22 AM

433 posts, read 1,228,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
You clearly have a lack of insight. I am speaking of the particular students doing the harassing. The drop out rates and education problems are huge in many Texas towns. And I am sure the problems are severe in other states too. The OP is clearly a concerned parent.

Here is an example from Rebecca Leung of CBSNEWS: "
All in all, 463 kids left Sharpstown High School that year, for a variety of reasons. The school reported zero dropouts, but dozens of the students did just that. School officials hid that fact by classifying, or coding, them as leaving for acceptable reasons: transferring to another school, or returning to their native country.

“That’s how you get to zero dropouts. By assigning codes that say, ‘Well, this student, you know, went to another school. He did this or that.’ And basically, all 463 students disappeared. And the school reported zero dropouts for the year,” says Kimball. “They were not counted as dropouts, so the school had an outstanding record.”

Sharpstown High wasn’t the only “outstanding” school. The Houston school district reported a citywide dropout rate of 1.5 percent. But educators and experts 60 Minutes checked with put Houston’s true dropout rate somewhere between 25 and 50 percent." The 'Texas Miracle' - 60 Minutes - CBS News
Part of the reason the school will NOT do anything about this is that they would have to COUNT in their records as bullying.

The schools DO NOT WANT to have to record anything like that in the official record.

My wife taught a special needs class of 5th & 6th graders and had to break up fights and other things like name calling. Bullying WAS going on.

The administrations words are like the following:

"But NO, it wasn't really bullying was it?"

"That is not fighting, but playing rough."

That way, none of these acts are counted AGAINST the school in their official reports.

No one wants REAL accountability it seems.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:43 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
I think it's hilarious looking at all these "suggestions". It's quite obvious none of you actually remember middle school or high school. Kids are mean. They are cruel and spiteful for no real reason. No amount of lawsuits, trying to reason with them, nothing will ever change that.

They are calling your son gay because they can, and because it elicits a reaction. I really laughed at the suggestion he tell them "I know who I am", because I can only imagine the comments that will come back to that one.

You want them to quit bullying him? Have him fight back. Bullies look for weak targets, someone that won't stand up for themselves. When they discover that their target has teeth, they move on. You say the "John Wayne days" are over with, but in truth, that has always been the only way to respond to a schoolhouse bully.
I know I lived in better times, but in the schools I went to, during assemblies and other times, before bullying had a chance to start, we were lectured about bullying and in just about every instance that I can remember if bullying started there would always be kids sticking up for the kid being picked on, walking home with him and yelling back at the brats. It rarely got out of hand. There were times in which kids who never bothered with the picked on kid would stick up for him.

I think sometimes they get the language from hearing their parents and I also think schools do not understand kids well enough to try to nip such a thing in the bud, before it takes on a life of its own.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:46 PM

874 posts, read 2,892,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qdogfball View Post
Part of the reason the school will NOT do anything about this is that they would have to COUNT in their records as bullying.

The schools DO NOT WANT to have to record anything like that in the official record.

My wife taught a special needs class of 5th & 6th graders and had to break up fights and other things like name calling. Bullying WAS going on.

The administrations words are like the following:

"But NO, it wasn't really bullying was it?"

"That is not fighting, but playing rough."

That way, none of these acts are counted AGAINST the school in their official reports.

No one wants REAL accountability it seems.
How is bullying counted against a school? On what "official record"/"official reports" do they not want bullying to appear? Why would the school be solely responsibly for "REAL accountability" when a child is the one doing the bullying?

Old 04-13-2010, 06:22 AM

433 posts, read 1,228,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffy888 View Post
How is bullying counted against a school? On what "official record"/"official reports" do they not want bullying to appear? Why would the school be solely responsibly for "REAL accountability" when a child is the one doing the bullying?
Every school administration has to give an account of what happens at their school.

Incidents of bullying or fighting will mean a review by the district.

Any noticable amount of "incidents" at a particular school will mean that the administration is NOT doing their job.

The threat of getting fired is one that most individuals will not want to have.

So the use of alternative methods of not reporting "incidents".

I don't remember stating the school was solely responsible.

Too bad that the system is built to fail

The school districts should make it so the administration gets recognized/rewarded with praise for their efforts against bullying/fighting/drugs/teen pregnancies/gangs.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:30 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qdogfball View Post
Every school administration has to give an account of what happens at their school.

Incidents of bullying or fighting will mean a review by the district.

Any noticable amount of "incidents" at a particular school will mean that the administration is NOT doing their job.

The threat of getting fired is one that most individuals will not want to have.

So the use of alternative methods of not reporting "incidents".

I don't remember stating the school was solely responsible.

Too bad that the system is built to fail

The school districts should make it so the administration gets recognized/rewarded with praise for their efforts against bullying/fighting/drugs/teen pregnancies/gangs.

My ds has been bullied for various reasons for the past 3-4 years. I made the mistake of calling it "bullying". I should have expressed it differently, I didn't realize then what a hot button it is. About that time we started getting investigated by CPS, for silly little things that were always ruled out. coincidence? I doubt it.

Just call it something else, anything other than the B word. At the time we had a very ambitious principal who wouldn't let anything stand in the way of her career, especially a child! She oved to another state, her reputation intact.

Its all about statistics, never forget that. Don't really fall for the crap that the children are the most important thing, our most valuable asset, yadda, yadda...never forget, its all about the dance!

Old 04-13-2010, 09:19 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,416,797 times
OK, I give. What is a "DS"?

Old 04-13-2010, 10:41 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
It's just forum slang for one's son, can be either "dear son," or "darling son." You'll see it used with daughter and husband, too, but interestingly, seldom with wife. DS is odd, because while some forum abbreviations actually do save typing time (SO being much faster to type than "significant other," MIL being less time-consuming than "mother-in-law," etc.), it really only saves one character when you could just type "son."

Old 04-14-2010, 10:54 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,416,797 times
I'm getting the sense that perhaps her son is being mocked because maybe mommy can't cut the strings, so to speak?

Old 04-14-2010, 05:23 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
If the dumb school doesn't want to report it in their "files". Then report it online. That should be an effective approach around their "beating around the bush".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education