Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 10:59 PM

380 posts, read 1,062,206 times

Advertisements

Is this abuse, neglect, stupidity, or culture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 05:16 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,274,888 times
IMO - It's simply culture. My family was like that when we first immigrated here. Kids pick up language extremely fast, so I had no problems assimilating into American culture. But my parents wanted to make sure I stayed connected with my Chinese background. They felt that it would give me an advantage later being bilingual.

And that advantage would be realized today if my line of work was applicable.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:46 AM

1,476 posts, read 2,023,965 times
See it a lot on the west coast. I think its a cultural thing.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:23 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,895,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokemaster View Post
What would make you think abuse, neglect, or stupidity?

Here in FL it is common for hispanic parents to speak Spanish at home. The kids learn English outside the house and are truly bi lingual for life. They don't have a first and second language, they have 2 first languages. At a very young age these kids can speak both English and Spanish AND THEY CAN TELL THE DIFFERENCE.

IMO it's great for kids to grow up that way.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:39 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,426,103 times
Quote:
It's a wonderful way to ensure bilingual children.

Most of my friends who are *truly* bilingual to a native level grew up speaking a different language at home than in their country, be it English in Mexico or Germany, Spanish or Japanese in the US, Yiddish in Canada, etc. Kids can go to preschool or elementary and pick up the language of their home country in a month or two without much extra instruction.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:31 AM

5,006 posts, read 10,682,464 times
I completely disagree. I think "forcing" children to speak another lang in the home is abusive, the same way that punishing students for speaking a second lang at school used to be punished and was considered abusive. A child should be able to speak whatever lang he/she feels comfortable with (especially in the home), and should be encouraged to speak a second lang, not forced.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:33 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,083,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
What would make you think abuse, neglect, or stupidity?

Here in FL it is common for hispanic parents to speak Spanish at home. The kids learn English outside the house and are truly bi lingual for life. They don't have a first and second language, they have 2 first languages. At a very young age these kids can speak both English and Spanish AND THEY CAN TELL THE DIFFERENCE.

IMO it's great for kids to grow up that way.
----it's a wonderful thing --heads up to all cultures that still keep up their language at home

Old 04-12-2010, 08:22 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,748,354 times
Quote:
For us is because we wanted our children to be able to communicate with their grandparents. There is no forcing involved. We just spoke Spanish to them from the time they were born. Our dd picked up English in pre-school. Our ds will do the same next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I completely disagree. I think "forcing" children to speak another lang in the home is abusive, the same way that punishing students for speaking a second lang at school used to be punished and was considered abusive. A child should be able to speak whatever lang he/she feels comfortable with (especially in the home), and should be encouraged to speak a second lang, not forced.
I disagree. I have met so many children who could be bilingual but they aren't because the parents spoke to the children in the language they preferred. To me it is the same way we make our children eat vegetables or wear a coat in the winter.
Abuse would be if the children were beaten to comply.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:46 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,310,567 times
I learned to speak Spanish from my godparents who would speak only Spanish to me. They spoke perfect English but they wanted me to learn Spanish. I learned it and I'm eternally thankful for it.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:21 AM

237 posts, read 1,059,029 times
I sure wish my parents forced me to speak another language at home when I was growing up. Learning it as an adult is so much harder. learning English as a child is pretty much automatic when they start school. The only kids/adults that I know who are fluently bilingual are the ones that grew up speaking both languages. My husband is bilingual and he would not be as successful in his current job without being fluent in both languages.

For folks who think English is all you need, that's fine and in most cases it'll suffice. For those who are considering introducing another language to your child or are fortunate enough to have access to another language, I think it can only benefit your child as they grow up. Being fluent in another language doesn't mean your English skills get worse.

So no, I don't think it's abuse. I'm assuming forcing means just speaking to children in the native language or hauling them to a language school the way I haul my children to piano and nag them about practicing. Now if they are beaten to comply than that's a different story and yes, I would consider the beatings abuse.

Last edited by Cigarboo; 04-12-2010 at 09:30 AM.. Reason: Forgot to answer main question
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education