U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-21-2010, 08:30 PM

6,046 posts, read 6,071,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Ranger View Post
Make money??
You go into heavy debt going into college, unless you get scholarships...
He means, letting kids have experience on what they MIGHT want to do...
What I meant is without a college degree it's hard to make enough money to support yourself. So people would likely just live with their parents for longer if they delayed college.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 08:31 PM

604 posts, read 387,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
What I meant is without a college degree it's hard to make enough money to support yourself. So people would likely just live with their parents for longer if they delayed college.
Very true, how are we supposed to get jobs without college??
Thats what they teach us too...scumbags are right...

Old 04-21-2010, 08:36 PM

6,046 posts, read 6,071,515 times
Quote:
What exactly is the point of school? I'm talking Elementary, Junior High, and Senior High.

Honestly, our teachers know we don't understand, except a select few, as kids, we treat school as a place to hang out with friends, with some guidelines... we have homework, which they tend to pile on, if we do extracurriculars we fall behind and don't have time for a life.

Food is HORRIBLE, some classes are useless, and the teachers tell us...

So I'm beginning to think the government uses them as a "day-care" a place for kids to stay away from parents, out of trouble, and give them a small education for life to come, although I don't feel I'll be prepared at all to go into the work-force when I'm done with High School, although college is my next goal..

Kings
I agree. I've thought the same thing myself. We're supposed to spend 12 years in school to reach a certain level of intelligence. But I honestly don't think it takes 12 years if you're smart. At my high school, the state required us to take a test in 10th grade that would determine whether or not we graduate (you could retake it if you failed). I passed on the first try. What does that say? It says I was smart enough to graduate high school when I was in 10th grade. And yet I had to spend another 2 years in high school. Something is not adding up here.

So yes, in some ways I agree high school is nothing more than a way to keep teens out of trouble. A lot of my classes were a joke and we didn't learn much. During the last 2 years of high school, I think I benefited more socially than intellectually. High school is good for something at least!

Old 04-21-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
I agree. I've thought the same thing myself. We're supposed to spend 12 years in school to reach a certain level of intelligence. But I honestly don't think it takes 12 years if you're smart. At my high school, the state required us to take a test in 10th grade that would determine whether or not we graduate (you could retake it if you failed). I passed on the first try. What does that say? It says I was smart enough to graduate high school when I was in 10th grade. And yet I had to spend another 2 years in high school. Something is not adding up here.

So yes, in some ways I agree high school is nothing more than a way to keep teens out of trouble. A lot of my classes were a joke and we didn't learn much. During the last 2 years of high school, I think I benefited more socially than intellectually. High school is good for something at least!

In some classes I hardly try and get good grades, in others, the teachers suck and I do badly, but try nevertheless...

I do think it's more of a controlled party than anything lol...

I was offered to go to college this year ( start of 11th grade or college) but Idk...

Old 04-21-2010, 09:55 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,958,459 times
Quote:

I think you might have answered your own question there. Whereas you may have been academically fit to finish high school I doubt too many 15-16 year olds really have the maturity to act like adults (myself included at that age).

Old 04-21-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
I think you might have answered your own question there. Whereas you may have been academically fit to finish high school I doubt too many 15-16 year olds really have the maturity to act like adults (myself included at that age).

I goof off around friends (in school) but around adults, and outside, I'm as/more mature than 20 year olds...sometimes 30

Old 04-22-2010, 08:18 AM

11,254 posts, read 9,608,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post

[BTW, THEY don't fix it because it's the way THEY want it to be. Keep looking and you'll see what I mean.]
Isn't that the truth.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:32 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,958,459 times
Quote:
I goof off around friends (in school) but around adults, and outside, I'm as/more mature than 20 year olds...sometimes 30
I wasn't referring to how you conduct yourself per se. I meant that your views of the world and your own self-worth within that world begin to change drastically over the next couple of years. Please understand that I'm not judging you personally, I only speak from recent experience (I'm 22--I'm certainly still in the "has a lot to learn" category as well!).

Old 04-22-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
I wasn't referring to how you conduct yourself per se. I meant that your views of the world and your own self-worth within that world begin to change drastically over the next couple of years. Please understand that I'm not judging you personally, I only speak from recent experience (I'm 22--I'm certainly still in the "has a lot to learn" category as well!).

My views of the world are that it is a corrupt, failing place, that needs some drastic changes, seems like no politicians know what they're doing... and I don't have many hopes for them for the next 2 years of my HS career

Again, today has been a COMPLETE waste of time in school... I learned about my home country, Australia, by studying it myself... thats IT

Old 04-22-2010, 12:25 PM

8,496 posts, read 9,670,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I am all for alternatives to high school if you know you don't want to go. Once you can pass a basic test that says you know how to read, multiply, and tie your shoes, the remaining years can be spent learning something relevant to your future career--technical or trade school or whatever.

The problem is that I don't know what percentage 14 year olds really know what they want to do with the rest of their life. I hate to see people shutting doors before they're sure. That basic test to get out of traditional high school early ought to cover enough stuff to make going to college one day possible if the student changes their mind.
And that could be because the choices are never put before them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education