Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 06:10 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times

Advertisements

The OP isn't asking about whether or not the student is eligible for services. Obviously that has already been determined since an IEP is in place. Parents can't force schools to classify their children, they can only request testing (or pay for it outside the school). The post was about placement within the system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 06:15 PM

442 posts, read 965,103 times
I think you should fail the student for not trying, if he is capable document it. I have 2 children on IEP's and I thought the same, I should have the last say since I am the one helping with the homework and have them at night pay the medical bills make sure they eat...blah blah blah. Until one day a teacher sat me down and explained what was happening at school and what my child thought he could get away with..whoa stop call the teacher police she dare talk about my child like that. That is exactly what I needed and she did put it in a very nice way and on a final note did what ultimately took me to sit back and take notice...invite the parent to the class WITHOUT the child knowing and let her/he see what goes on. I swear if I had not been in that classroom (like in my own living room) I would have beat the crap out of my child.

I would not put the child in the special day class. Oh he*l no.

I HAD to have my children tested by a clinical psychologist and proper paperwork submitted.

Last edited by trnsplntfrmNV; 04-29-2010 at 06:37 PM..

Old 04-29-2010, 06:34 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,979,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
Clearly, you have absolutely no clue what goes on in some schools. No offense, but you both have to work outside of special education. Kids are placed into special education ALL THE TIME with little to nothing in the way of real confirmation of any disability. Why? Parents want to get their hands on SSI money from the government. Long story I won't get into here. Suffice it to say, if you don't know what I'm talking about, well, uh, you don't know what I'm talking about.

Anywho, in regards to this student: What do you think about an 8th grade boy openly telling everybody within earshot that he knows he can keep up with the lessons but he doesn't care? How about an 8th grade boy who brings marijuana to school to smoke out with his buddies in the middle school bathrooms because it's fun? Do you thinkan 8th grade boy coming into class high as a kite might have his ability to learn impacted? Specifically impacted by something other than a disability?

Is there anybody with any experience teaching or working in special education in an ubran school distrct that would like to comment? No offense to anybody like the posters above who have no experience working in the field, but I'd like to hear only from those with some real experience and knowledge on the matter. Thanks.
I see. I did not realize this; I thought that kids had to have their learning disabilities and learning problems diagnosed by someone other than a parent or a teacher.

I have no experience in the special ed classroom, or in any classroom... I homeschool my own kids to avoid having to deal with any of this. I wish you the best of luck.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:51 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,748,696 times
Quote:
Kids are placed into special education ALL THE TIME with little to nothing in the way of real confirmation of any disability. Why? Parents want to get their hands on SSI money from the government.
I am having a hard time getting an IEP for my dd. She has a doctor diagnosed issue and they are only offering a 504. They say the general ed teacher will do everything that my dd needs while teaching other kids. I just don't see that happening.
What SSI money? I thought that was for the severely handicapped.

Last edited by suzie02; 04-29-2010 at 07:19 PM..

Old 04-29-2010, 07:05 PM

442 posts, read 965,103 times
No not just for the severly handicapped..you just have to have a medical doctor letterhead saying what is wrong and so long as you paid into FICA for 40 quaters your child can qualify depending on diagnosis. You apply online with SS for SSI or SSD.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:16 PM

1,882 posts, read 3,108,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
The OP isn't asking about whether or not the student is eligible for services. Obviously that has already been determined since an IEP is in place. Parents can't force schools to classify their children, they can only request testing (or pay for it outside the school). The post was about placement within the system.
I am the OP. I know what I was asking.

If a district is this willing to just give the parents whatever they want, you'd better believe they'll acquiesce when the parent demands finding a way to classify the kid as SPED. I've seen it happen before. Parent kicks up a fuss and the SST "team" finds a way to make the kid eligible to shut the parent up. There is SO much gray area when it comes to how you can classify a kid as SPED. It's not nearly as scientific or black and white as you might think. Highly subjective and one can easily bend their interpretation of what qualifies.

I expalined why the parent would have a motive to move the kid to a different SPED placement.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trnsplntfrmNV View Post
I think you should fail the student for not trying, if he is capable document it. I have 2 children on IEP's and I thought the same, I should have the last say since I am the one helping with the homework and have them at night pay the medical bills make sure they eat...blah blah blah. Until one day a teacher sat me down and explained what was happening at school and what my child thought he could get away with..whoa stop call the teacher police she dare talk about my child like that. That is exactly what I needed and she did put it in a very nice way and on a final note did what ultimately took me to sit back and take notice...invite the parent to the class WITHOUT the child knowing and let her/he see what goes on. I swear if I had not been in that classroom (like in my own living room) I would have beat the crap out of my child.

I would not put the child in the special day class. Oh he*l no.

I HAD to have my children tested by a clinical psychologist and proper paperwork submitted.
Sure. You'd be a good parent in such a case. And, as you said, your kid would never end up in SDC. Sadly, they don't all take the approach you took. In this case, the kid IS failing. And, THAT, is the one and ONLY reason/justification given for putting him into SDC. Sorry, but a kid has a RIGHT to fail if they ignore teachers, lessons etc. It doesn't have to be a byproduct of a disability.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
I am having a hard time getting an IEP for my dd. She has a doctor diagnosed issue and they are only offering a 504. They say the general ed teacher will do everything that my dd needs while teaching other kids. I just don't see that happening.
What SSI money? I thought that was for the severely handicapped.
Tip: Keep prodding and I PROMISE you'll find a doctor or school psychologist who will slap the "disabled" tag on your dd (daughter?). Keep looking and someone will do it. Why? Because if you wanted, ANYBODY could qualify as learning disabled. Why/how? Becuase the entire premise of the title is that the person is NOT, in fact, disabled. It's a condition where ability is within a normal range while academic performance-even for unknown, unspecified reasons-is below average by at least two grade levels. Now, it's the job of the SST team to determine if things like environmental/home issues, Limited English Proficiency or just plain lack of effort are significant contributing factors. If they are, the kid is not SUPPOSED to be classified as disabled. Kid is not supposed to be classified as disabled under ADHD either. But, anything can be classified as "OHI" or Other Health Impairment. "Other", in other words. Or, better yet, NOTHING. Parent barks loud enough? Go with OHI. Badabing, the kid is labeled as disabled and is privy to everything under ADA etc

SSI is for severely handicapped OR for economically disadvantaged parents with kids labeled as having "disabilities. So, the SSI issue plagues primarily Title I schools.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:32 PM

I should add that the SST team doesn't even have to go with OHI for "ambiguous" cases. The classification of Specific Learning Disability is plenty vague as to fit anybody into that classification.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:36 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,748,696 times
Quote:
Tip: Keep prodding and I PROMISE you'll find a doctor or school psychologist who will slap the "disabled" tag on your dd (daughter?). Keep looking and someone will do it. Why? Because if you wanted, ANYBODY could qualify as learning disabled. Why/how? Becuase the entire premise of the title is that the person is NOT, in fact, disabled. It's a condition where ability is within a normal range while academic performance-even for unknown, unspecified reasons-is below average by at least two grade levels. Now, it's the job of the SST team to determine if things like environmental/home issues, Limited English Proficiency or just plain lack of effort are significant contributing factors. If they are, the kid is not SUPPOSED to be classified as disabled. Kid is not supposed to be classified as disabled under ADHD either. But, anything can be classified as "OHI" or Other Health Impairment. "Other", in other words. Or, better yet, NOTHING. Parent barks loud enough? Go with OHI. Badabing, the kid is labeled as disabled and is privy to everything under ADA etc
According to the special ed manual I have, ADHD is specifically mentioned as OHI. My daughter's issue is not a learning disability at all. She already has a diagnosis and she needs related services. The problem is that it is rare and most people do not know much about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education