Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 09:04 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times

Advertisements

How would you allocate funding for education. What programs would you fund. Which would you not fund or restrict funding for? Where do you think the money goes now? And how could it be spent better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 09:33 AM

605 posts, read 2,160,579 times
Are you referring to state or national funding?

Old 05-01-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. 14th & You View Post
Are you referring to state or national funding?
Either. I'm not sure there should be federal funding since the states run the schools.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:21 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Either. I'm not sure there should be federal funding since the states run the schools.
WHAT??

I know you work in a charter school but you must have heard of NCLB. There are just as many federal mandates as state, they should pay for their mandates.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:41 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,356,421 times
Referring to this particular school district...

I believe Driver's Education should be funded... they don't even offer it...

and I believe they should be reasonable with the meals programs... peeking into the current menu, the lunch menu offers 5 "hot choices" and 5 "cold choices"... I think it's ridiculous and wasteful... plus it probably accounts for why the school meals are so expensive

Old 05-01-2010, 02:58 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
1. Eliminate most field trips. The only thing my kids got out of them was a day off school.
2. I agree with overhauling the meal programs, especially for the younger grades. It's not a restaraunt and much of it ends up in the trash anyway.
3. I would LOVE to be able to keep disruptive children out of school.
4. Many schools overdo the whole "technology" thing. If a kid has a computer at home they will be experts in no time. If they don't, the limited exposure at school isn't going to help them much. Plus it cost's a FORTUNE to keep up with the latest whatever.
5. Focus on the basics in elementary school, cut the fluff.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:04 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
WHAT??

I know you work in a charter school but you must have heard of NCLB. There are just as many federal mandates as state, they should pay for their mandates.
It doesn't matter if there is NCLB. Education is supposed to be up to the states as the Constitution did not grant that right to the federal government. Plus, the differences in educational needs in different regions are so vast that there really should not be a national agenda. Education in inner cities is going to be different than education in affluent areas. Education in mainly English speaking areas will be different than education in areas with many English learners.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
WHAT??

Yes I have but all that happens when the feds give us money is the state takes some away so it really doesn't matter. We just end up with more mandates and the same money.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
1. Eliminate most field trips. The only thing my kids got out of them was a day off school.
2. I agree with overhauling the meal programs, especially for the younger grades. It's not a restaraunt and much of it ends up in the trash anyway.
3. I would LOVE to be able to keep disruptive children out of school.
4. Many schools overdo the whole "technology" thing. If a kid has a computer at home they will be experts in no time. If they don't, the limited exposure at school isn't going to help them much. Plus it cost's a FORTUNE to keep up with the latest whatever.
5. Focus on the basics in elementary school, cut the fluff.
And while you're at it, do away with half days of school too. They're a total waste. The kids are too riled up over getting half a day off to do anything and the classes are too short to do anything besides give a quiz.

I agree on technology. Limited exposure not only does them no good, it cuts into the time we have for basic programs. I was shocked, when my dd started kindergarten, that she had two hours a week of computer lab. By the time they got the kids together and walked to the computer lab and back and got settled in on both ends, it was more like 3 hours out of the whole 15 she was in school. She couldn't even read yet!!!

I also agree on disruptive students. There is a difference in the class averages for the classes where I'm, constantly, addressing behavior issues and the ones I don't.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:48 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,950 times
IMO, this discussion is akin to discussion what kind of super power you would like to have.

Totally pointless, since no one is getting any super powers, and since the Feds are not getting out of education.

Z
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education