U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2010, 06:51 AM

850 posts, read 1,266,631 times

Advertisements

Education Chief Vies to Expand U.S. Role as Partner on Local Schools - NYTimes.com

I am thinking out loud that we do not need more involvement from DC in our schools. What do others think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 09:17 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,782,374 times
Heck..... Why don't we have the Feds simply take over all the public schools altogether? They already control 80-90% OF EVERYTHING WE DO! A partner is usually a 50-50 circumstance. Its not your partner if they have 90% and you have 10% control. Its not even your boss.

ITS YOUR JAILER OR YOUR PAROLE OFFICER.

I can't understand that the former Superintendent of Chicago schools loved the Feds so much that he wanted to make them the all powerful God of Education. Despite all the reasons I did vote for Obama, as an educator, if I thought he would be this clueless as to how the Feds are destroying everything enjoyable about education(and education has to be enjoyable for kids to buy into it), I would have voted for someone else. Right now, the Republicans are going to have to bring out some really bad ogre for me to vote for Obama again, after what he's continued to do to shaft education and teachers.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:21 AM

8,388 posts, read 8,346,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post
Education Chief Vies to Expand U.S. Role as Partner on Local Schools - NYTimes.com

I am thinking out loud that we do not need more involvement from DC in our schools. What do others think?

What we don't need is local school boards composed of petty political wannabes making decisions on what should be taught and how.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:25 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,782,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
What we don't need is local school boards composed of petty political wannabes making decisions on what should be taught and how.
Unless you are being facetious.........Clearly you have no clue as to how school districts in the United States are run. Its the petty political realities(not wannabees) who have implemented law after unfunded law since 1958(with sputnik), that have developed greater control until local school boards have very very little control of their own money.

z

Old 05-05-2010, 10:51 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,764,719 times
I would be in favor of the Dept of Education being significantly downsized and merged back into HHS. I'm not even sure what it is they do besides administer federal education funding to states.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:52 PM

3,637 posts, read 5,402,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post

I agree. I also think they should take the corporate leaders with them.

At least Bill admitted he was wrong. There's hope yet.

Alan Singer: Bill Gates Admits He Was Wrong (Bloomberg Doesn't)

Old 05-05-2010, 01:13 PM

1,988 posts, read 4,637,562 times
Yes I think the federal government is too involved in education (and too many other things as well). More control should be given back to the state and local levels because they are the ones who are more likely to really understand the needs of their schools and students. It seems like the more the federal government steps in, the worse things get - no matter which political party it is. Politicians (at any level) are not experts in education, and they should stop pretending like they know what's best. But they are the ones who hold the purse strings..............................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or