U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-24-2010, 09:50 PM

10,450 posts, read 16,929,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I think the reason to move so quickly is to identify the students at risk of not meeting the requirements for math for graduation early. Here students must pass Algebra II. You can't afford to wait until 10th grade to take Algebra I like they did when I was in school. So, Algebra I got pulled down to 9th grade and now 8th grade. Get the kids out of the way who can fast track in middle school and you have more time to work on the ones who are at risk in high school. Also, this might be motivating to some students. Getting clases like math out of the way means more room for electives later. If this motivates the student, more power to them.
You don't need to start Algebra in MS in order to get to Algebra II by graduation. Our school has the same requirement but nothing transfers from the MS to the HS even if you take Alg I and II in MS (and many students do). All students in our school district must take four years of math in HS and have to have minimally get up to Algebra II in order to graduate.

I think it's more about bragging rights for the schools.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 09:59 PM

4,508 posts, read 5,464,958 times
Yup, DD was taking high school credit courses in 8th grade. They have to pass the high school EOC for the course (counts 25% of grade). I think this year they are offering some of the courses to 7th graders as well....Algebra and Spanish. I don't see why not. Elective Spanish in middle school was a waste of time compared to real high school Spanish and if the kids can take Algebra in 7th or 8th grade why not get the same credit that 9th graders get?

Old 05-24-2010, 10:40 PM

2,910 posts, read 4,230,739 times
My daughter will be taking a test this summer to be able to go into Algebra next year in 7th grade, and if that occurs would then be taking Geometry in 8th grade at the high school. Both grades would be included in her GPA and on her transcript.

At this point I'm not sure what other subjects might be available for similar advances for her in 8th grade. We'll see.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:04 AM

3,594 posts, read 2,546,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ123 View Post
My dd is in 5th grade now. Some of the middle school teachers were talking to the kids to day at her school. My dd comes home and tells me in 6th grade she can take pre algerbra, in 7th take algebra I for HS credit, then take algebra II in 8th grade for HS credit. She also said she can get a HS credit in 8th grade in English. So that would mean she would start 9th grade with 3 HS credit completed ? Does that sound true? Boy have things changed from the time I was in school.
Some districts do things this way. The district I grew up in was and is still different, though. You can take those classes in junior high, but they will not count as high school credit.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:13 AM

7,870 posts, read 4,991,761 times
This could work. The benefits are both that she could be on track to get calculus and that she might be able to get more AP credits, which can add up to college credit for her.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:03 PM

22,289 posts, read 17,026,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
You don't need to start Algebra in MS in order to get to Algebra II by graduation. Our school has the same requirement but nothing transfers from the MS to the HS even if you take Alg I and II in MS (and many students do). All students in our school district must take four years of math in HS and have to have minimally get up to Algebra II in order to graduate.

I think it's more about bragging rights for the schools.
I think it's an attempt to track because they know it will be difficult to get some kids to algebra II before graduation. If they start young, they can identify those that need a slower program and give it to them. I'm not sure what they do in my kids' school but in the school where I did my student teaching, if a student fails algebra in 8th grade, they retake it as a two year course in 9th and 10th. That leaves 11th and 12th for algebra II. The kids who passed it in 8th grade go on a track that will allow them to take calculus in 12th grade if they wish.

Unfortunately, we don't have a 4 year math requirement here. Just an Algebra II requirement. We should have a four year high school math requirement on top of that.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
I think it's an attempt to track because they know it will be difficult to get some kids to algebra II before graduation. If they start young, they can identify those that need a slower program and give it to them. I'm not sure what they do in my kids' school but in the school where I did my student teaching, if a student fails algebra in 8th grade, they retake it as a two year course in 9th and 10th. That leaves 11th and 12th for algebra II. The kids who passed it in 8th grade go on a track that will allow them to take calculus in 12th grade if they wish.

Unfortunately, we don't have a 4 year math requirement here. Just an Algebra II requirement. We should have a four year high school math requirement on top of that.
And that's exactly why I think we have a four year math requirement. There's no need to have MS grades count on the HS transcript at our school. The kids that need more time have it and those that want to take accelerated classes can go to nearby Lehigh University.

I think it's also good for kids that do poorly in MS math - it won't count and they can start fresh in 9th grade. I think the pre-rec for honors geometry is a B in Algebra I so some kids will re-take Algebra I in 9th grade after getting a C in it in 8th grade so they will get a better understanding and a higher GPA to start off with in HS.

It's not a given that the kids that are put into an accelerated program will thrive.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:45 AM

22,289 posts, read 17,026,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
And that's exactly why I think we have a four year math requirement. There's no need to have MS grades count on the HS transcript at our school. The kids that need more time have it and those that want to take accelerated classes can go to nearby Lehigh University.

I think it's also good for kids that do poorly in MS math - it won't count and they can start fresh in 9th grade. I think the pre-rec for honors geometry is a B in Algebra I so some kids will re-take Algebra I in 9th grade after getting a C in it in 8th grade so they will get a better understanding and a higher GPA to start off with in HS.

It's not a given that the kids that are put into an accelerated program will thrive.
No, it's not a given but I do understand the need to track kids and I do think that's what they're doing by bringing down Algebra I to 8th grade. IMO, they're using Algebra I as a sorting class. Those that do well, continue on to a standard math series that now can end in Calculus because you've cleared the way for one more high school math class and those that don't do well have time to remediate.

What I find unfortunate is that some kids will not do well in algebra that early for developmental reasons. I'm convinced the ability to think abstractly is a developmental milestone and not all kids are there by 9th grade let alone 8th.

There is so much we don't know about how/when kids learn best. Seems like we run around putting out the current fire and never get to what is causing the fires in the first place.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:54 AM

20,797 posts, read 32,810,594 times
Quote:

What year do most kids take Algebra II? In our district that is typically the class college bound sophomores take. We have a 3 year math requirement here but most college bound kids take 4 or more years. Our oldest is graduating with 5 years of high school math on his transcript and our twins will do the same when they graduate.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:15 AM

Quote:
No, it's not a given but I do understand the need to track kids and I do think that's what they're doing by bringing down Algebra I to 8th grade. IMO, they're using Algebra I as a sorting class. Those that do well, continue on to a standard math series that now can end in Calculus because you've cleared the way for one more high school math class and those that don't do well have time to remediate.

What I find unfortunate is that some kids will not do well in algebra that early for developmental reasons. I'm convinced the ability to think abstractly is a developmental milestone and not all kids are there by 9th grade let alone 8th.

There is so much we don't know about how/when kids learn best. Seems like we run around putting out the current fire and never get to what is causing the fires in the first place.
At our MS the kids can start Algebra I as early as 7th grade and take Algebra II in 8th grade, but those grades don't go on their HS transcript. And your concern about not being developmentally ready is also one of mine, which is why it's good not to have grades on the HS transcript just in case the grade in MS is a bad one. In other words, they can have remediation by taking Algebra I again in ninth grade and it won't show that they already took it in 8th.

The admissions counselors will know that if a student is placed into Algebra II or honor Geometry in 9th grade that they had to have had Algebra I in MS. The material, textbook and tests given in our MS are the exact same ones at our HS. Admissions counselors in College will look for students that have MS grades on HS transcripts to have more then four years of math, it's not as if they are doubling up. It's the same as if a student is doing block scheduling.

I think it's great that kids are offered whatever level of math they are ready for, but it's only the students that do very well who benefit from having MS grades on HS transcripts and it's certainly not a given that all students that are accelerated WILL do well.

Realtors, See This.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education