U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 07:54 AM

22,308 posts, read 17,066,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
This is hardly a "current fire". I started 8th grade in 1978 and I took Algebra I, French I and Earth Science for high school credit in 8th grade. The program had been in place for quite a few years by the time I entered it. This has been going on for over 30 years. This is how they dealt with kids like your daughter without having to send her to high school at age 12.

No-not all kids are ready for abstract thinking in 8th grade, but enough are ready for it that it makes sense to have these classes available to those students.
LOL, Uh....Algebra IS in 8th grade AND they still have to send kids like my daughter to high school at 12 (rather obvious because that's what they're doing) This is NOT how they dealt with kids like my daughter. While algebra being pulled down to 8th grade was only done a few years ago here, it has been done and it doesn't solve my dd's problem. She ended up taking honors 8th grade algebra in 7th grade. She could have skipped it and gone right to 9th grade honors geometry last year but we chose to let her have a solid algebra review year to make sure she'd covered all the bases (she tested out but had never actually taken a class called algebra. She came up throught Singapore math which is algebra based. That coupled with advanced development resulted in her testing out.)

It may not be a current fire where you are but this is a recent burn here and I'm sure in many other areas. I am curious as to how it has worked in areas that made the switch long ago. I really don't see me doing well in algebra in 8th grade. I was not, developmentally, ready. I'm thinking that districts that did this long ago may have earlier cut offs for entry into school (here the cut off is December 1st.) so their students may be a bit older than ours. Here we seem to be struggling with getting, a significant percentage of, kids through Algebra II by graduation and 8th grade algebra seems to be a struggle as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 08:04 AM

785 posts, read 936,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ123 View Post
My dd is in 5th grade now. Some of the middle school teachers were talking to the kids to day at her school. My dd comes home and tells me in 6th grade she can take pre algerbra, in 7th take algebra I for HS credit, then take algebra II in 8th grade for HS credit. She also said she can get a HS credit in 8th grade in English. So that would mean she would start 9th grade with 3 HS credit completed ? Does that sound true? Boy have things changed from the time I was in school.
I went to High School in Summerville SC (grad early 90's) and I took Honors Math and English in 8th grade and started 9th grade with credit for both of those. I took geometry in 9th grade and Honors English. I was finished with Math (trig) and English after 11th grade. Most of my classmates took AP in 12th grade and got college credit. I took a Univ So Carolina Psychology class in 12th grade and had 1 college credit.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:50 AM

608 posts, read 711,656 times
I've taught in numerous schools that do this. In Henrico County VA, students on a honor track take two years of social studies at the same time in 7th grade. They take the 7th grade and 8th grade social studies classes. Then in 8th grade they take the 9th grade world history class for HS credit. That way when they actually get to high school they take one less year of high school history.

In GA, we teach 9th grade ELA and 9th grade health to the 8th graders.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:59 PM

24 posts, read 27,144 times
my daughter graduated middle school with NYS regent intergrated algebra and american history. she is not going to take them again in HS

Old 10-05-2010, 10:18 PM

10,264 posts, read 7,756,634 times
Our kids did not get HS credit for the courses taken in middle school. My kids both took Algebra I honors in middle school, but that did not change the number of credits they took to graduate high school. My son did get credit for honors geometry in 8th grade, but it was actually taken at the high school campus during 1st period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education