Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 04:12 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
if physical your school distict can do it, i would do what moonwalker suggested, have her do a few classes in the HS, but have her based in the middle school. If the school are not physical next to each other see if they can schedule her HS class in morning, you pick her up after the HS classes and drop her off at the MS so she can have lunch with her friends and be with in her peer group.
That was the original plan...until they tested her...now they want to change the plan.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:14 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
Does the school have a inter-school district 'mail' run that can transport her. the school is not going to let her walk the 1/2 mile alone, cause they can't take the risk.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Does the school have a inter-school district 'mail' run that can transport her. the school is not going to let her walk the 1/2 mile alone, cause they can't take the risk.
Nope. We'd have to arrange transportation for her if she splits schools.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:56 PM

1,428 posts, read 3,160,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Pros and cons please. Dd#2's principal emailed dh this morning and, after putting her through a battery of tests, they've decided that dd should go directly to high school instead of into the 8th grade next year. She's already the youngest kid in her class as this will be her second full grade skip. She's really split between 7th and 8th this year so maybe it's not a full skip this time but the effect is the same. The kids she started kindergarten with will be two years behind her.

So, what are your thoughts on a 12 year old going to high school? Academically, it's a no brainer. She could probably finish the requirements to graduate in 2 years but I see no reason to rush things. She's not unhappy where she is. A bit unchallenged but not unhappy. Personally, I've never seen anything wrong with being the smartest kid in class and I don't think kids have to be challenged all the time.

I'm really having a hard time coming up with reasons to put her in the high school but I'm sure her principal isn't making this recommendation lightly. She knows better than I what the school has to offer and thinks dd will be best served by putting her in 9th grade next year. I keep thinking she's just too young but she'll be in all honors classes next year so she'd be with the smart kids.
1. The research on acceleration strongly argues that in the short AND long run, academically AND socially, acceleration works.

Is it a perfect solution for everyone? Oh, heck no. Nothing is.

2. You're not "rushing things." You're (finally?) allowing her not to be slowed down. There's a difference.

3. Kids shouldn't necessarily be challenged all the time, but they shouldn't be un-challenged nearly all the time either. The more gifted a child is, the more time she or he utterly wastes in class. She might as well be watching Nick, Jr.

4. As far as any argument about driving, the prom, or (God forbid) her physical development that might be made to you, decide this now: Is school MORE about socialization than about academics? If, bottom line, you decide it's about academics, then as important as it may or may not be that "everyone else" is driving/dating/developing, it's not as important as LEARNING.

Good luck to you, Ivory -- and to her.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:33 PM

443 posts, read 1,257,449 times
Default Other Schools?

What about a more rigourous private school? If cost is a factor, then look for scholarships. A child that bright should be highly sought after. I would consider either a charter school for gifted kids or the most rigourous private school, where she will be challenged but remain with her age group.

There are a LOT of supe bright kids out there. Opt for a school where she is one of a few...not the only one. That will also be good for her...to see that even bright kids have academic peers.

T

Old 05-25-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taben View Post
What about a more rigourous private school? If cost is a factor, then look for scholarships. A child that bright should be highly sought after. I would consider either a charter school for gifted kids or the most rigourous private school, where she will be challenged but remain with her age group.

There are a LOT of supe bright kids out there. Opt for a school where she is one of a few...not the only one. That will also be good for her...to see that even bright kids have academic peers.

T
If I had $18K a year burning a hole in my pocket, I'd go that route.

WRT charter schools for gifted children, given that charter schools have to accept anyone who applies, they exist about as frequently as public schools for gifted kids. There are districts with better G&T programs but they're not all school of choice.

Her principal told her (yes she talked to her before talking to us....grrrrr) that she's going to try and get her into the better high school in our city. Usually, they don't allow students to pick their school but she told her that she feels they have more to offer her. She won't be alone there. The best schools in the city feed that high school.

To be honest if this turns out to be a ticket into the best high school in the city, it would be hard to turn down. Every time we drive past that school she comments that she wishes she could go there.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Wallace View Post
1. The research on acceleration strongly argues that in the short AND long run, academically AND socially, acceleration works.

Is it a perfect solution for everyone? Oh, heck no. Nothing is.

2. You're not "rushing things." You're (finally?) allowing her not to be slowed down. There's a difference.

3. Kids shouldn't necessarily be challenged all the time, but they shouldn't be un-challenged nearly all the time either. The more gifted a child is, the more time she or he utterly wastes in class. She might as well be watching Nick, Jr.

4. As far as any argument about driving, the prom, or (God forbid) her physical development that might be made to you, decide this now: Is school MORE about socialization than about academics? If, bottom line, you decide it's about academics, then as important as it may or may not be that "everyone else" is driving/dating/developing, it's not as important as LEARNING.

Good luck to you, Ivory -- and to her.
While school is about learning, it's also about socialization. You can't really separate the two given the group environment. And the fact is, if she doesn't learn something this year, she will next. Learning isn't a race. 20 years from now, it won't matter if she graduated from high school at 16 or 17.

Academically, it's the right move but if it turns out to be the wrong move socially, academics won't matter. A miserable high school existance can go a long way towards dragging her down.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:07 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
I would go for it. She'll be 13 in December, so she'll be one of the youngest (if not the youngest). Just make sure you keep a close eye on her with respect to boys.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:21 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,145,603 times
Honestly, how many kids at the high school are actually going to know your daughter's age? For all they know, she's a small 14-15 year old. The question is, do YOU AND SHE think she can handle any potential social issues? And really, what social issues are you the most worried about? Boys? Will she make friends? There are 16 year olds who don't have a clue about those things and/or are socially awkward. The only thing I'd recommend is that she still has some type of contact with friends her own age.

I wasn't 12-13 taking high school classes, but I was (a very small) 16 living in a dorm away from home taking college courses over the summer. I learned A LOT, academically and socially. And yes, dealing with boys/men was significantly different, so you will HAVE to have the boy talk.

I think if you both think it's the best thing for her, as in, she doesn't feel like she's being forced because she wants to stay in a lower grade, then I'd go for it. At the worst, if it doesn't work out, at least you guys can say you tried. I'd hate for her to look back and regret the path not taken.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:39 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,370,923 times
At first glance, I was leaning toward no. But...what does your daughter want?? If this is a top high school with other very bright kids it could be an excellent opportunity. Is she hesitant? Fearful? Adventurous? How mature is she?

Socialization is important, but it depends on your daughter's ultimate goals, academics versus social. And like someone else stated, she could be the right age in high school and yet still have a miserable experience. I believe that overall, maturity is a key determining factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education