U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 03:03 PM

25,393 posts, read 30,638,452 times

Advertisements

Pros and cons please. Dd#2's principal emailed dh this morning and, after putting her through a battery of tests, they've decided that dd should go directly to high school instead of into the 8th grade next year. She's already the youngest kid in her class as this will be her second full grade skip. She's really split between 7th and 8th this year so maybe it's not a full skip this time but the effect is the same. The kids she started kindergarten with will be two years behind her.

So, what are your thoughts on a 12 year old going to high school? Academically, it's a no brainer. She could probably finish the requirements to graduate in 2 years but I see no reason to rush things. She's not unhappy where she is. A bit unchallenged but not unhappy. Personally, I've never seen anything wrong with being the smartest kid in class and I don't think kids have to be challenged all the time.

I'm really having a hard time coming up with reasons to put her in the high school but I'm sure her principal isn't making this recommendation lightly. She knows better than I what the school has to offer and thinks dd will be best served by putting her in 9th grade next year. I keep thinking she's just too young but she'll be in all honors classes next year so she'd be with the smart kids.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:23 PM

20,793 posts, read 53,830,748 times
No way would I do this, never in a million years. We have 2 freshman and the difference between them and the seniors is HUGE and our twins are very mature for their age. Are you going to want her getting picked up by her sophomore friends and driving around town, going to movies, etc.? It isn't all about academics, as you know. I wouldn't even want her in high school as a 13 year old. I would suggest a course of study in 8th grade to challenge her and leave her in middle school.

5,681 posts, read 8,082,522 times
I started high school when I was 12. It was odd being the youngest (I looked young), but I still made friends. I really hated being the only one who couldn't drive.

When is her birthday?

3,087 posts, read 6,638,494 times
For a specialized class or two, yes. For all day every day. No. Even if she is the youngest in her classes, she's still at least around kids closer to her peer group. Move her into high school and she will be socially/physically/emotionally alone in the building.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:40 PM

2,838 posts, read 9,018,190 times
I wouldn't do it. Is there another option? A more challenging private school, maybe? I know that you are opposed to homeschooling, but someone on this forum sends their child to school for most subjects but teaches them at home in the subject(s) that they are ahead in... would something like that be an option (while keeping her in the 8th grade for her "at school" subjects)?

I was the kid who was totally unchallenged for most of high school. It's just an exercise in futility to go to school to "learn" when you already know most of what is being taught. Why bother wasting all that time? On the other hand, I also skipped a grade in elementary school, so I was 13 when I started high school... and yes, I was the last of my friends to learn to drive, be able to date, etc. I can see it from both sides, and I don't find either something that I'd want my kid to have to go through.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:42 PM

1,661 posts, read 4,040,802 times
Our middle and high schools are right next to each other so it's really easy for gifted middle schoolers to remain in school and just walk over to take more advanced classes. That social maturation period is pretty important around this age. Get her involved in more extracurricular activities to not always focus on just the academic, but be with peers around her age.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I started high school when I was 12. It was odd being the youngest (I looked young), but I still made friends. I really hated being the only one who couldn't drive.

When is her birthday?
December 24th. She'll turn 13 this year.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
Our middle and high schools are right next to each other so it's really easy for gifted middle schoolers to remain in school and just walk over to take more advanced classes. That social maturation period is pretty important around this age. Get her involved in more extracurricular activities to not always focus on just the academic, but be with peers around her age.
Ours are about a half mile apart. She can, feasibly walk between them.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:09 PM

9,110 posts, read 17,037,959 times
if physical your school distict can do it, i would do what moonwalker suggested, have her do a few classes in the HS, but have her based in the middle school. If the school are not physical next to each other see if they can schedule her HS class in morning, you pick her up after the HS classes and drop her off at the MS so she can have lunch with her friends and be with in her peer group.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfWhimsy View Post
I wouldn't do it. Is there another option? A more challenging private school, maybe? I know that you are opposed to homeschooling, but someone on this forum sends their child to school for most subjects but teaches them at home in the subject(s) that they are ahead in... would something like that be an option (while keeping her in the 8th grade for her "at school" subjects)?

I was the kid who was totally unchallenged for most of high school. It's just an exercise in futility to go to school to "learn" when you already know most of what is being taught. Why bother wasting all that time? On the other hand, I also skipped a grade in elementary school, so I was 13 when I started high school... and yes, I was the last of my friends to learn to drive, be able to date, etc. I can see it from both sides, and I don't find either something that I'd want my kid to have to go through.
Definitely not. The higher up she is, the less qualified I am to teach her. I have no idea why someone would homeschool in the areas their child is ahead in. That's where you'd need someone who was a subject matter expert. I could do math but without lab facilities, I couldn't do justice to science for an advanced student.

Avoiding her being unchallenged is one reason to make the jump.

I spoke with her elementary school principal, who is now a high school principal, and she says to let her go. She says she's ready and it would do her some good to be put in an environment where she has to actually work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or