Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 09:39 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,815,022 times

Advertisements

I agree, Urban. The so-called "false friends" and similar words assimilated in various languages, even though they are completely different things, is undoubtedly a tricky subject.
I find quite interesting how some words find a prefect place in foreign languages (originally not related to them, I mean) sometimes for mere assimilation and sometimes for the sheer lack of a better/more accurate term in this language.

As for the whole Anglo thing, I just meant to say even though languages are extremely important (hey, this is a language thread!), it is not the only defining characteristic of an individual.
One can speak several languages, or simply speak a language and have several different cultural characteristics, not necessarily related to it.
When one refers to me based on languages, if it is an inaccurate statement I tend to think the person is ignorant on that matter, but I really don't get upset about that. Mostly it is just lack of knowledge, that is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 11:32 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,012,549 times
When you refer to words finding a "perfect place" in another language, I'd have to agree it has to do with the quality of explanation inherent in the word. I run across this once in a while when discussing various languages and the nuances of certain words, something in the sound and the meaning combined so that a certain word, despite being a direct translation, somehow conveys the meaning better.

For example, to me Russian CAXAP is the same as English SUGAR; yet the Italian ZUCCHERO seems... well, sweeter.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:48 AM

Excellent, excellent post!

Old 05-27-2010, 11:56 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,809,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
In my view, the only method that works is total immersion. Other methods will teach you words, phrases and sentences but not how to speak.
I agree. It's the best way to learn. It took me about 6 months to get fluent in Spanish while living in South America.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:42 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,689,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
Miaiam, I wouldn't worry about it. Nobody said anything wrong, Jaggy explained himself perfectly well and at this point I wouldn't hesitate to say she simply CHOOSES to take offense.

With regard to the meaning of words, there are out-and-out borrowed words which take up residence in another language and then there are "false friends" which may seem like cognates or like they should be the same thing but really aren't (magazine in English to mean a periodical, versus magazin [transliterated, I can't type in Russian on this keyboard] in Russian, which means a store). It's not the best example but it is AN example.

One of the best military linguists I knew told me that he found, when practicing Russian, a good way to increase not only comprehension but vocabulary was to figure out how to say what he wanted to say and THEN figure out a different way to say the same thing.
Oh, for heaven's sakes--I choose to be offended?! Ask anyone who is offended by something and they will tell you that it has nothing to do with choice. That's ridiculous. If you truly respect someone, then you don't question whether he should or should be offended; you just accept it and try not to offend them.

And to those of you who use the term and see nothing wrong with it, let me point out two very glaring flaws in your conclusion that it isn't offensive:

1. Many people find the term offensive (i.e. I'm not the only person on the planet who feels this way), regardless of the intent of the speaker.

2. It's very easy to not be sensitive to an offensive comment when you are not the one who it is offending but, rather, are the one using the offensive word. And by defending your use of it, you really just again illustrating that you do not respect the person who you are offending.

So, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you all see nothing wrong with offending people that you so clearly do not respect. Rather than apologize for the offense and use a word that is so clearly unoffensive, you choose to defend your position and refuse to admit to any offense with a complete lack of regard for the person who you have offended.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:47 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,689,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
I agree, Urban. The so-called "false friends" and similar words assimilated in various languages, even though they are completely different things, is undoubtedly a tricky subject.
I find quite interesting how some words find a prefect place in foreign languages (originally not related to them, I mean) sometimes for mere assimilation and sometimes for the sheer lack of a better/more accurate term in this language.

As for the whole Anglo thing, I just meant to say even though languages are extremely important (hey, this is a language thread!), it is not the only defining characteristic of an individual.
One can speak several languages, or simply speak a language and have several different cultural characteristics, not necessarily related to it.
When one refers to me based on languages, if it is an inaccurate statement I tend to think the person is ignorant on that matter, but I really don't get upset about that. Mostly it is just lack of knowledge, that is all.
Sometimes it is and sometimes it is discrimination. If you were ever in a position in which people used the term perjoratively to discriminate against you (and I mean real discrimination in which you were denied a job, place to live, etc.), then perhaps you would not be so cavalier towards people who actually do get upset and offended by it. As I said, it's very easy to think that it isn't a big deal when it really has never affected you in a negative and real way.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:36 PM

StarlaJane, you have every right to feel disrespected by whatever people tell you, and I am sorry you mentioned you felt this way before.

I just tried to point out here that not every person who uses a simple word such as "Anglo" has a true intention to upset you.

But again, I am sorry if you felt this way even if not every person had an intention to be disrespectful.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:47 PM

4,382 posts, read 4,233,844 times
Does anyone else see the irony in the discord stirred up by two different uses and interpretation of a word?

A language learner should be aware that similar pitfalls surround many words that are commonly used in one culture as ordinary words, but in other cultures that use the same language, the word may be charged with negative connotations. I once innocently used a verb that I understood to mean "enjoy". Imagine my embarrassment when I used it with a native speaker who gently explained that it meant to have an orgasm!

Old 05-27-2010, 05:31 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,918,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Does anyone else see the irony in the discord stirred up by two different uses and interpretation of a word?

A language learner should be aware that similar pitfalls surround many words that are commonly used in one culture as ordinary words, but in other cultures that use the same language, the word may be charged with negative connotations. I once innocently used a verb that I understood to mean "enjoy". Imagine my embarrassment when I used it with a native speaker who gently explained that it meant to have an orgasm!
Yes, you quite often get the same phenomenon between British English and American English especially in the different use of certain slang words. For example, as a native British English speaker I am shocked every time I here the use of the word "fanny" because its meaning in British English is considerably more vulgar than in American English. Obviously, I know that the intention is not one of vulgarity when it comes from an American English speaker but the reaction is always there.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:12 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,517,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anapurma View Post
I have heard that one of many ways of learning the 2nd language is to find a person who is a native of this language and is interested in learning your native language. Then - just talk/mail/chat with her/him using skype or any other communicator.

Have you ever try to find such a person in the Internet and then exchange your language skills with her/him?
Thought I would pop the OP back up....

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education