Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 02:34 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,205,781 times

Advertisements

Hi there:

Have a larger family (college graduates, few in high school, two in junior high and one in elementary school). Traditionally, all of our kids have gone to K-8 Catholic school, and then 9-12 public school in our community. The two that are in high school are doing very well. The three still at the K-8 Catholic school are doing well academically, but the discipline at the school is lacking big-time.

Basically, there are little or no actual consequences for bad behavior like bullying (physical, emotional, cyber) although there is supposedly a no-bullying policy or even cheating on tests, etc. The principal talks a good game but she doesn't seem to follow through with the actual consequences.

Also, one of the teachers in junior high has a daughter in her classes and she is not doing well with separating her parent hat from her teacher's hat. She is not a bonafied teacher, rather, she has a degree in the subject matter she teaches, although not an actual "teaching" degree. That is not a big thing to me. She knows her subject matter, but doesn't always do a good job of relaying it to the students. That's still a minor variable in the whole equation. Like I said, academics and teachers are for the most part fine.

Bottom line is that the school doesn't enforce it's own policies as it pertains to discipline matters which in turn sends a signal to it's students that "anything goes." Our kids have been going to this school for almost 20 years; the last few years are leaving much to be desired in the form of discipline. There seems to be a bigger group of entitled brats every year. I don't know what is happening, but basically, it is affecting our children, especially our 7th grader (who was bullied relentlessly by another boy in his class - a boy who has been a perpetual bully since Kindergarten with nothing being done besides him seeing a guidance counselor at school), and now our youngest daughter who is being taunted for being "fat". I have noticed an increase in her own bad behavior when she gets home, something that she's never been before. I don't think I can take what is happening at our school as far as this bad behavior, especially as they say they are a "Christian" school. I mean, not only are we paying tuition, but also putting up with basically cr*p because we are not the type of parents who are squeaky wheels. We try to give people the benefit of a doubt and let bygones by bygones, but lately, we are feeling like doormats.

I'm seriously considering virtual public school for our now second grader. She will have a good number of years before she gets out of this school. Has anyone transitioned from either Catholic or public school into virtual online public schooling? I would appreciate any feedback, please. Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 03:14 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Its odd to me that you find your local public high school fine but the elementary schools lacking. Generally problems are exacerbated by they time they get to high school not figured out.

Anyway, for a child with behavior problems and having suffered from bullying I would not want to remove them from the social aspect of school. Its literally like they will be intellectually ready for high school but not socially/emotionally. Are you public schools really that bad that you do not want them to go? Maybe you should talk to your local school first?

Old 05-30-2010, 04:08 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,904,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Its odd to me that you find your local public high school fine but the elementary schools lacking.
This is a good point and worth asking.

I understand as a Catholic the Church pressures you to give your child a Catholic education and that is why a lot of people do the K-8 Catholic school (and in many areas there are no Catholic high schools). But, since you are considering leaving the Catholic school anyway, it might be worth a look at your local elementary school.

I was quite pleasantly surprised making the switch after 1st grade into public elementary school for my oldest. We moved and it was pretty much our only option - our public school is much better than the Catholic school we left. Same amount of kids - just K-6 instead of K-8, and far less clique-ishness... Better teachers...smaller kindergarten classes... More responsive principal and staff ... and so on...

That being said, we are moving again and had my oldest not gotten into the middle school he did get into, I was seriously considering the virtual public school option through K12 because our future zoned middle school is pretty poorly rated all-around. I know people who independently homeschool and have used K12 and liked it. I know plenty of homeschoolers as well, who have had kids in private or public school or started off from the very beginning homeschooling. No one seems to be in major crisis at all. I had a friend homeschool for 2 yrs to get her kids up to speed (and to wait til it was financially feasible) for a rigorous private "classical education" school - they are doing great at the school now. Caveat: all of the homeschool kids I know are 4th grade and below.

Old 05-30-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Its odd to me that you find your local public high school fine but the elementary schools lacking. Generally problems are exacerbated by they time they get to high school not figured out.

Anyway, for a child with behavior problems and having suffered from bullying I would not want to remove them from the social aspect of school. Its literally like they will be intellectually ready for high school but not socially/emotionally. Are you public schools really that bad that you do not want them to go? Maybe you should talk to your local school first?
Public schools are in our area are fine; they have very good ratings academically. There's a lot to think about (and do) before any decision is made. Thank you very much for your feedback.

Old 05-30-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
This is a good point and worth asking.

I understand as a Catholic the Church pressures you to give your child a Catholic education and that is why a lot of people do the K-8 Catholic school (and in many areas there are no Catholic high schools). But, since you are considering leaving the Catholic school anyway, it might be worth a look at your local elementary school.

I was quite pleasantly surprised making the switch after 1st grade into public elementary school for my oldest. We moved and it was pretty much our only option - our public school is much better than the Catholic school we left. Same amount of kids - just K-6 instead of K-8, and far less clique-ishness... Better teachers...smaller kindergarten classes... More responsive principal and staff ... and so on...

That being said, we are moving again and had my oldest not gotten into the middle school he did get into, I was seriously considering the virtual public school option through K12 because our future zoned middle school is pretty poorly rated all-around. I know people who independently homeschool and have used K12 and liked it. I know plenty of homeschoolers as well, who have had kids in private or public school or started off from the very beginning homeschooling. No one seems to be in major crisis at all. I had a friend homeschool for 2 yrs to get her kids up to speed (and to wait til it was financially feasible) for a rigorous private "classical education" school - they are doing great at the school now. Caveat: all of the homeschool kids I know are 4th grade and below.
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I had a longer post typed up but lost it as this laptop has a mind of it's own. I will definitely stop in at the elementary school next week (after school is out) and talk with the principal. There are some things I need to find out. Also, I will talk with the principal at our current school and voice our concerns. Something has to be done. Wishing you the best as you decide what to do for your situation as well.

Old 05-30-2010, 05:19 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,904,348 times
Well good luck to you! I had nothing to compare ours to b/c it was my first child and I am glad our move forced us to try a different option. Our old school had the "stars" (more often than not female students) and they labeled kids really early and it stuck. Certain families were catered to, and if you weren't in the "in crowd" you were kind of an afterthought.

Sometimes the way things were handled was quite odd.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:32 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,983,568 times
My kids will be 4th and 2nd grade next year, and have never been to school... we've homeschooled from the beginning. I'm not sure what type of information you're looking for, but if you have specific questions, I'd be happy to help. My general advice is always to find a local support group (try Yahoo groups or just google "city/state homeschool groups") and to find out the actual homeschool law in your state (try http://www.hslda.org). Oh, and don't worry about socialization. The whole homeschool/socialization issue is a myth. Good luck, whatever you decide!

Old 05-30-2010, 09:31 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
I am sure for a large portion of homeschool kids socialization is not an issue but I have only had 3 students who were homeschooled make it to my school (the majority just could not pass the entrance exam).

Two of those three had a very hard time switching to public school and dropped out inbetween freshman and sophomore year. The other one made it through just fine but he was the only one who had siblings. I suspect homeschoolers with sibs do much better than those who do not when it comes to socialization.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:38 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,983,568 times
Quote:
I am sure for a large portion of homeschool kids socialization is not an issue but I have only had 3 students who were homeschooled make it to my school (the majority just could not pass the entrance exam).

Two of those three had a very hard time switching to public school and dropped out inbetween freshman and sophomore year. The other one made it through just fine but he was the only one who had siblings. I suspect homeschoolers with sibs do much better than those who do not when it comes to socialization.
How many homeschooled students did not pass a public school entrance exam? Do public high schools even have entrance exams? Also, "dropping out" to continue homeschooling is not the same as "dropping out" of school entirely. Lots of homeschooled kids try school for a year and realize that it does not meet their needs, so they go back home, try an online school, try a private school, go on to community college instead (depending on age, of course).

Old 05-30-2010, 09:57 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,777 times
Quote:
With all due respect, that's probably not a very good sample. After all, for families for whom homeschooling is going well, there's little incentive to switch to a school setting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education