U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 08:31 AM

3,509 posts, read 3,320,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I have been saying this for years - we are not teaching our children anything.

We have children who cannot add, read, or write. We are permitting signs to read "sign's" and not saying anything. I am told I am wasting my breath (oh wait, that's supposed to be breathe because it doesn't matter anymore how I spell it so long as you know what I meant to say). The whole idea of don't criticize, don't say a word, don't correct makes me crazy. If I criticize your sign to stand that says "rose's $12.99/doz", I am being a pain. However, there are hundreds of children who see that sign repeatedly and now believe that the plural of rose is possessive!

Speak up! We are as much at fault that we are approaching idiocracy if we keep silent. Go to the store owner and ask what is $12.99 - the thorns or the stems?

I will continue to give $1.03 when I want a dime in change rather than more pennies. I cannot tell you the number of times I get handed back my change and I make the person figure it out in their head. Yes, I'm often called a b*tch.
I agree with you. This does not surprise me in the slightest.

I will say that even if we do speak up - and many have, it's just not common knowledge - especially now with FERPA binding and gagging any true meaningful conversation about it (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act the equivilent of HIPPA privacy act for health information) essentially, nothing changes IMO.

We are also often told that we are not "professionals" and don't know what we are talking about. I find this tidbit particularly appalling when professionals who use complicated mathematics daily in their work lives question the pedagogy of the leading math curriculum now.

The "blame game" gets played all too often with this, and IMHO, NOTHING is ever done about it (except by the parent who often has their child clandestinely tutored).

Despite this well-traveled road that I've been down for the last 7 years, it doesn't stop me from making my thoughts about "redo for a better grade" known, and I won't accept blame and dismissal as an ignorant parent anymore.

Last edited by reloop; 06-08-2010 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: forgot an o
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 09:58 AM

276 posts, read 447,045 times
This is really scary.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:24 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,922,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
I will say that even if we do speak up - and many have, it's just not common knowledge - especially now with FERPA binding and gagging any true meaningful conversation about it (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act the equivilent of HIPPA privacy act for health information) essentially, nothing changes IMO.
reloop, maybe using the Freedom of Information Act will help you to have more productive conversations. As in, 'As per the Freedom of Information Act, I am requesting the following information...'

But then what do I know, I am not a 'professional' educator either. And I am beginning to wonder whether we happen to be on the same sinking chunk of Northern Granite.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:34 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,313,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Just think, some of these students may be tomorrow's airplane builders.
Well ya know, as long as they get it to ALMOST stay up in the sky...good enough right?

Old 06-08-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa g View Post
reloop, maybe using the Freedom of Information Act will help you to have more productive conversations. As in, 'As per the Freedom of Information Act, I am requesting the following information...'

But then what do I know, I am not a 'professional' educator either. And I am beginning to wonder whether we happen to be on the same sinking chunk of Northern Granite.
Hmmm...I suppose it's possible, but I'm thinking along the line that FERPA would trump Freedom of Information Act.

Call me cynical, but I don't think it would matter either way, since I would probably be shown only the scores. I'm pretty sure that actual students tests would be presented as "confidential."

Old 06-08-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
Well ya know, as long as they get it to ALMOST stay up in the sky...good enough right?

I'm still awaiting the day an engineer "estimates" the weight-bearing load of a bridge.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:41 PM

3,456 posts, read 4,656,846 times
Unfortunately, it isn't only the engineer. There are still people out there who learn how to do things correctly in spite of poor educational policies. But then, these same people have to deal as adults with the poor decisions of political bureaucrats (your comment about bridges got me thinking):

AP IMPACT: Bad Bridges Passed up for Stimulus Cash - ABC News
US Infrastructure: Increasingly Unsafe (http://usabig.com/autonomist/articles5/unsafe.html - broken link)

I think that the most important thing to note in all of this--the above stories included--is that there are people in positions of power who are making very poor decisions on behalf of us and our children.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:38 PM

6,113 posts, read 5,324,963 times
Part of the problem is people have lost the ability to call a stupid kid a stupid kid.

The situation we have is exactly the situation if 100 of us crash landed in the Libyan desert 30 miles from the nearest water. In this case the strongest will survive but only at the expense of leaving the weak behind. It would be a cruel thing to do but if you stay behind to help the outcome for the weak will remain the same but you will die too.

Somehow the pushers of no child left behind don't seem to have a problem with this mindset.

The answer to this is to get the federal government completely out of the business of education and close the department of education. The department of education has been around for over 30 years now and all they have manged to bring is destruction.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:47 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,532,168 times
I don't think No Child Left Behind was intended to lower everybody else to make the slowest kids look better. It was so those slower kids were educated and brought up to standards equal to those more academically sound. It just became easier to dumb down instead of working harder on the slower kids.

By passing those along who cannot read, do simple math and do not know grammar, lets them know that there are no expectations put on them in life. They do not have to work to meet goals. They deserve something for doing nothing.

A lot of people think that illegals come here and take the jobs no Americans will do. DUH, Americans are raised to think they should be given better jobs just because, instead of working to earn a living. Kids grow up having so much more than previous generations, they are coddled along in their education and expect things to be handed to them. No wonder no one wants the menial jobs. In their world, no one is a loser; no one is at the bottom of the heap. Someone else can clean toilets. They deserve what their parents have and worked for because they are wonderful and always a winner just for existing.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:57 PM

36,017 posts, read 18,748,680 times
Default Uneducated America

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
It's like this all over the country in the inner cities and other poor performing schools. They will often "pad" test scores to get more federal money, also to keep teachers working, and to just get the kids out of the schools instead of holding them back year after year.

It sounds like America has flat given up. We cannot afford to reward mediocrity, and that is exactly what is happening with the results. 2 + 2 is supposed to be mastered in first grade. If high school kids don't get that, then they're screwed. And the tragedy is that the end result will have us conclude that we don't have enough jail cells to fit all of these misfits. That's because these people will not be able to get ----- let alone hold down ----- a really good job. America did not get built with people who underachieved; rather, it was done the opposite way. There's room for encouragement, but it must given to something appropriate. The trouble is that we've gotten too scared and too soft to be concerned, but we've got to start getting tough again.

It saddens me to no end that this nation continues to go down the toilet because kids have no goals and no desire, and we aren't helping them. There are more than enough people that can't even read or write. We must turn this thing around, folks, before it is too late!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education