U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-12-2010, 12:19 PM

618 posts, read 1,113,222 times

Advertisements

That was our problem. That is why we went to Arizona for some fresh fish and made a weekend out of it maybe 2-3 times a year.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 03:33 PM

11 posts, read 27,584 times
Hi Tuffmuff - thanks for your post. I am ethnic Chinese and my husband is Tex-Mex/Italian. The kind of Asian food we like to fix at home (although we eat regular American food 90% of the time) are mainly Southeast Asian. Do you know if the store you mentioned on Dyer carries stuff like tamarind, rice noodles, hoisin sauce, fish sauce, canned coconut milk and the numerous spices (like lemongrass etc.) that are used in Southeast Asian dishes? There are many Asian food stores here (in New Zealand) and I can easily stock up on this stuff before moving back stateside.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:51 PM

157 posts, read 253,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdownunder View Post
Hi Tuffmuff - thanks for your post. I am ethnic Chinese and my husband is Tex-Mex/Italian. The kind of Asian food we like to fix at home (although we eat regular American food 90% of the time) are mainly Southeast Asian. Do you know if the store you mentioned on Dyer carries stuff like tamarind, rice noodles, hoisin sauce, fish sauce, canned coconut milk and the numerous spices (like lemongrass etc.) that are used in Southeast Asian dishes? There are many Asian food stores here (in New Zealand) and I can easily stock up on this stuff before moving back stateside.
If by chance you are military, the commissary carries all that you mentioned.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:48 PM

1,374 posts, read 1,314,602 times
Quote:
there are some fish in the rio grande.
:-)

Old 01-12-2011, 12:14 AM

41 posts, read 136,150 times
Quote:
My husband and I will be moving to El Paso later this summer. I was wondering if anyone knows of any Asian food stores/grocers in the city. I have looked on the internet but can't find too much besides Asian restaurants. We are also very fond of making our own sushi. Are there good fishmongers that sell sushi-grade fish? Thanks for any info anyone has.
Inside the El Paso city limits, there are many asian stores. You can find korean, vietnamese, chinese, fillipino markets but I am not sure about Janpanese although Korean market carries japanese products. I am a korean which utilize korean grocery stores and chinese. To name some market; Arirang Market on Dyer St, Dong Yang on Dyer, Je-Il on Hercules, Dae Ku (Hong's Blanket) on Lee Trevino, Ko-Mart etc., There are few Chinese market but I often shop at the one located on Gateway west nearby Barns and Nobles for fresh clams, fish, and crabs. They are little expensive but very fresh if not alive. Also many Sushi restaurant/bar near by.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:24 AM

41 posts, read 136,150 times
Quote:
You can find majority of sauce, rice, noodle in the korean market here. If u need more info, email me then I can give you detailed information ie., tel# address etc,

Georgehk@bcpkorean.org

Old 01-14-2011, 04:22 PM

11 posts, read 27,584 times
Thanks, Cybersimple. I have been here for 3 1/2 months now and have found the Korean food stores you mentioned on Dyer (mainly cos we are living in the northeast for now). I have also found fresh (not thawed out) salmon and tuna at the Greenery restaurant and market at Sunland Park Mall - but they cost a bomb. There is also a large store called Oriental Imports on Gateway West that carries a large variety of different Asian foodstuff. I am still looking for Indian, Thai and other Southeast Asian products that are not sold in Korean stores. In the meantime, we are stuffing ourselves with the Tex-Mex food that we have missed the last 4 years!

Old 03-17-2011, 02:19 AM

1,357 posts, read 884,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybersimple View Post
Inside the El Paso city limits, there are many asian stores. You can find korean, vietnamese, chinese, fillipino markets but I am not sure about Janpanese although Korean market carries japanese products. I am a korean which utilize korean grocery stores and chinese. To name some market; Arirang Market on Dyer St, Dong Yang on Dyer, Je-Il on Hercules, Dae Ku (Hong's Blanket) on Lee Trevino, Ko-Mart etc., There are few Chinese market but I often shop at the one located on Gateway west nearby Barns and Nobles for fresh clams, fish, and crabs. They are little expensive but very fresh if not alive. Also many Sushi restaurant/bar near by.
I haven't had a chance to head out to Dyer. Are Arirang and Ko-Mart large? Are the signs outside in English so I can read the store's name? I tried the place on Gateway West - it's okay, but not competitively priced, of course - maybe since there are more of those stores on Dyer, they'll be a bit more reasonable? I'm comfortable shopping at Hong Blanket (I'm not Korean, and have sometimes felt really out of place at Korean grocers in other parts of the country), the owners seem pleasant, but it's expensive and not a great selection. At least nowadays they don't keep the big stinky vats of kimchee they used to have out by the fresh veggies years ago. No offense, but whew, the smell!

Old 03-18-2011, 06:08 AM

618 posts, read 1,113,222 times
All the asian grocery stores are small stip mall type where you can get canned goods and frozen fish. Some vegetables but a limited supply. To get real fish/fruit/veggies, you will have to go to Tucson, about 4 hours away. Lee Lee's opened there last year (we used to take the occasional weekend trip to Phoenix and stop there on the way home at the one in Chandler). If you are asian, its a grocery paradise. While there you can get an in & out burger.
Lee Lee Oriental Supermart

Old 03-18-2011, 04:34 PM

3,191 posts, read 2,322,035 times
Quote:
My husband and I will be moving to El Paso later this summer. I was wondering if anyone knows of any Asian food stores/grocers in the city. I have looked on the internet but can't find too much besides Asian restaurants. We are also very fond of making our own sushi. Are there good fishmongers that sell sushi-grade fish? Thanks for any info anyone has.
Well, there are a few in town. You will find enough. My daughter loves sushi and she has found some good restaurants. It is not my plate as far as sushi but I know there a few places out there. On Dyer Street there are some restaurants and some Asian Food stores. There are others in other parts of town, take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso