Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 05:18 PM

1 posts, read 3,297 times

Advertisements

My company is opening up a branch in El Paso and I may be relocating. I have lived my entire life in Salt Lake and may be up for the challenge. But I have a lot of questions.

I am concerned about safety and security for me and my partner. I see there is a gay community, but I am worried about Hate Crimes.

My partner is a General Manager at a McDonalds and has a lot of experience in the food service industry. Will it be hard for her to get a job if she doesn't speak Spanish?

Weather wise - I know it's warm in EP, but I am really concerned about heat stroke, etc. I went to Vegas in August and thought I would die. Does the weather compare?

Is there a Greek community? There is a large presence here in SLC.

Is the area mostly Conservative or Liberal?

What is the sales tax rate? Gas prices right now?

Need a recommendation for a nice safe apartment complex - with a pool and central air.

Last edited by crimsondove; 06-21-2007 at 05:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 08:57 PM

385 posts, read 1,550,622 times
This is a very live and let live community. Despite this being a largely Catholic community with very strong cultural ties, people here don't seem to care if one is gay or not. I should rephrase that to they don't insert themselves in any way into ones life. They may care but they keep it to themselves. If they don't like you, they don't like you and they avoid you. If they like you, they are warm and hospitable. This is the most liberal part of Texas (politically speaking). I have lived here five years and I know of no hate crimes being perpetrated against gays. My experience is that most gays here are closeted. The only reason I can see is that many of them are in the army. And, of course with don't ask, don't tell, they can't just get off work and run home and be themselves because someone might see them. So, it is hard to form a community here because people who are closeted have very good reason to avoid those who are not. The army also tends to be very selective about who they go after so some of the older officers are more likely to be somewhat "out" because they are secure in their positions for whatever reason.

Also, it is better that you are coming here with a known corporation and not trying to get hired here as an out person. I know of some very large corporations here that do discriminate and this is Texas so you don't have a lot of rights here.

All things considered, I think it is a very good place to be. For more info go to Adelante.com (I think that is what it is called) and they can give you info about more organized social thngs happening. Las Cruces (thirty miles or so away) had a very good event just last week with more patronage than they expected.

As for speaking Spanish, I was speaking very poorly to someone today and I got so flustered, I said, "My Spanish is so much better since moving here." That got a good laugh from both of us. I don't really understand anyone saying that you need to speak Spanish to live here. I don't see that at all. I speak it poorly because I am trying to learn it. They are very tolerant and appreciative of that effort.

Yeah, its hot. It was in the high nineties today. But, like they say, "its a dry heat." Also, you become acclimated to it. I came from California beach weather to here and I rarely notice the heat unless its humid (which in Summer monsoons, it can be). Even in winter when its 40, I can wear my shorts. The sun shines almost every day. Nowhere is there better weather in my opinion. You have got to like the desert because this is one!

I don't have any input about apartments.

Good luck on your move. You will find it interesting and personally expanding.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:35 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,684,052 times
well, according to my cousin, there is a very large gay community here. No one really cares. There are a few gay clubs. Maybe your partner can see about getting a transfer to here through mcdonald's instead of just coming on his/her own?

It's not as hot here as in Vegas. But it does get hot.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:37 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,415,062 times
I don't think there are any problems with being gay in El Paso, maybe the military itself has to stay closeted but that's not the case anywhere else in this town.

I also have never heard or read of hate crimes on gays. I don't think that's very likely.

As far as restaurant jobs -- there are a few parts of town where you can get by without Spanish -- but in that way El Paso is like a very small town -- not too many jobs in the "service industry" that don't require Spanish. Parts of the NE, and West Side, and areas along the interstate east and west -- you can make it without Spanish -- but forget Central, Downtown, and many areas. The good thing -- dependable workers can get and hold onto jobs in the restaurant business because turn-over is high and good help can be hard to find -- they'll work around the language gap.

I have never found it to be very hot in El Paso because it's a comfortable dry heat. Nothing like the heat of humid cities like in the South and East Texas. I never hear of anyone getting heat stroke. I haven't yet bothered with my air conditioner -- ceiling fans and open windows only -- and it's already almost July.

There is a Greek community -- they have a Greek food festival but it's not what you'd call a big community.

Liberal or apathetic for the politics.

Sales tax 8.25, gas prices -- the highest in Texas. Last I saw was $3.19 but they were higher a week ago.

There are some nice apartments and condominiums -- or you might want a duplex if you like having a yard. There's a wide variety -- it would be hard to advise on that without knowing other preferences -- part of town and so on.

Each part of town has it's own distinct flavor. For example the military families are more often found in the NE, people who like a traditional yard and more open space are in the upper valley. The apartments around Mesa Hills seem popular and nice.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:17 AM

1 posts, read 3,222 times
Default I'm gay and I live in El Paso...

Regarding on being homosexual and living in El Paso, it's not that bad. The majority of the gay community here is closeted to some extent but the ones that aren't are treated with equal respect as heterosexuals. I doubt you'll ever be a victim of hate crimes here, maybe a few stares depending on the area of town your in. Gay entertainment here is limited though. There's a gay club knows as "The New Old Plantation" in downtown, I recommend going on Fridays. The Mining is a gay bar thats quite nice and gets packed on Saturdays. You'll be okay as long as you show El Pasoans respect, they'll respect you.

Old 06-26-2007, 02:34 PM

8 posts, read 74,303 times
Believe you will find El Paso to be a nice place to live. I have lived here all my life.

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 09-17-2007 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: advertising

Old 06-28-2007, 09:51 AM

879 posts, read 3,025,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsondove View Post
My company is opening up a branch in El Paso and I may be relocating. I have lived my entire life in Salt Lake and may be up for the challenge. But I have a lot of questions.

I am concerned about safety and security for me and my partner. I see there is a gay community, but I am worried about Hate Crimes.

My partner is a General Manager at a McDonalds and has a lot of experience in the food service industry. Will it be hard for her to get a job if she doesn't speak Spanish?

Weather wise - I know it's warm in EP, but I am really concerned about heat stroke, etc. I went to Vegas in August and thought I would die. Does the weather compare?

Is there a Greek community? There is a large presence here in SLC.

Is the area mostly Conservative or Liberal?

What is the sales tax rate? Gas prices right now?

Need a recommendation for a nice safe apartment complex - with a pool and central air.
I don't think I have heard of a hate crime towards gay people here since maybe the 80's. Most people here are open minded but I do suggest that you keep your lifestyle to yourself for your own safety..there are also a lot of ignorant people out there that might not do anything physically harmful to you but might talk trash to you if they know that you are gay. I have a relative who is gay and he enjoys living here with his partner, they don't really have problems with people other than the occasional stares I would assume..but thats just from what they tell me.

It is sort of a very liberal place, very democrat type of town..yet it has that large Mexican Catholic type of conservatism feel here as well.

Old 07-04-2007, 07:46 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,668,349 times
[/quote]My company is opening up a branch in El Paso and I may be relocating. I have lived my entire life in Salt Lake and may be up for the challenge. But I have a lot of questions.[/quote]

First off, keep in mind that you are coming from Salt Lake City. I really personally like SLC quite a bit and think it is underrated, and I also am admittedly a conservative politically which is overall right in line with the general politics of SLC, however, I can be unbiased at telling you then that if you are used to SLC, while I wouldn't say in general it has much in common with El Paso it isn't like you are coming from San Francisco or Madison, WI, etc., so I don't think the social aspect will be as difficult for you as you may fear.

[/quote]I am concerned about safety and security for me and my partner. I see there is a gay community, but I am worried about Hate Crimes.[/quote]

I would say that El Paso and its people have to be the most laid back, easy going folks I have ever been around in the US. I just don't think anyone would majorly care if you are gay, straight, whatever, because they frankly just wouldn't be paying attention to that. It isn't as intense or materialistic or fast-paced as most of the US has become and thus isn't as into who you are sleeping with, etc. Just like you probably don't care who your straight co-workers, colleagues, etc., are sleeping with, if you don't get into a whole lot about your private life in that facet (of course I am sure you wouldn't anyway) I sincerely doubt most in El Paso would even ask, much less care.

[/quote]My partner is a General Manager at a McDonalds and has a lot of experience in the food service industry. Will it be hard for her to get a job if she doesn't speak Spanish?[/quote]

This is something that other posters who live in ABQ (I just travel to and spend time in EP extensively and live in Albuquerque - 250 miles north); I would say that it would be a plus majorly in food service to know Spanish...many jobs it wouldn't matter, but food service might be a big asset. However, I don't think it necessarily would rule her out either.

[/quote]Weather wise - I know it's warm in EP, but I am really concerned about heat stroke, etc. I went to Vegas in August and thought I would die. Does the weather compare?[/quote]

It does compare to Vegas, but it isn't as hot in the summer as Vegas. Vegas can get into the 105-115 range for highs in the summer pretty commonly; El Paso in the summer is more - at its hottest - in the 95-105 range...hot for sure, but not as brutally scorching as Vegas.

El Paso has some of the best weather in the nation. I wouldn't worry much about the heat. At worst, you'll contend with heat from mid-May to mid-September, and even then, you really most have to be concerned with it from about 12noon until 7pm - keep your car if possible shaded or out of the sun, stay in cool areas, etc. Mornings and evenings - because this is high desert - are actually quite pleasant in general.

[/quote]Is there a Greek community? There is a large presence here in SLC.[/quote]

A bit of one - a hare - but very, very little compared to likely what you are used to. El Paso is 75% Hispanic and is dominated by Hispanic culture (I am a regular ol' white guy, although not Greek, and love that, but others do not). You'll find some pockets of various European-anscestored communities, but it isn't vast.

[/quote]Is the area mostly Conservative or Liberal?[/quote]

Frankly, probably from the aspect of social conservatism or liberalism, it is much more conservative. It is weird in that respects compared to most of the US. It is heavily Democratic and the only major Texas city (outside of perhaps Austin) that heavily votes Democrats and elects Democrats. So in that facet, it is quite liberal.

However, it has a very, very strong Christian / Catholic influence, and in terms of social values, it is much stronger conservative.

[/quote]What is the sales tax rate? Gas prices right now?

Need a recommendation for a nice safe apartment complex - with a pool and central air.[/quote]

Others could help with the exact sales tax rate - remember though, Texas has no personal income tax, which is nice. Gas prices are usually pretty good in Texas. As for the apartment complex, you could find tons that are safe, affordable, and almost 100% will have a pool and central air. Look on the West Side near UTEP...I think that would be your best bet.

Good luck!!

Old 07-05-2007, 10:35 AM

434 posts, read 1,649,485 times
My family is moving to El Paso shortly and we are unfamiliar with the area, but we were assigned someone at hubby's work to help with the transition process. We are going to have to rent if our house in OH doesn't sell soon so we might need an apartment too. Hopefully our house will sell so we can buy right away, but anyhoo...

We have small kids so our biggest concern is safety, and the person in charge of helping us with our relocation said to look at stuff off of N. Mesa and Festival if we end up having to rent.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:54 AM

421 posts, read 2,150,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emjbulls View Post
My family is moving to El Paso shortly and we are unfamiliar with the area, but we were assigned someone at hubby's work to help with the transition process. We are going to have to rent if our house in OH doesn't sell soon so we might need an apartment too. Hopefully our house will sell so we can buy right away, but anyhoo...

We have small kids so our biggest concern is safety, and the person in charge of helping us with our relocation said to look at stuff off of N. Mesa and Festival if we end up having to rent.
Yes I'm familiar with that area. Nice apartments there. That's a beautiful part of the near westside. I was up there recently with my wife on a sunday drive and I have to admit there are some AMAZING homes up there. 'Course who knows the price they're going for, but still nice to look at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso