U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 04-05-2009, 07:04 AM

45,768 posts, read 29,973,680 times
It's not supposed to be windy today. Too cold but not windy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-04-2010, 07:05 PM

6 posts, read 10,502 times
I'm a 30 something year old physician, being relocated to El Paso from NYC to work at Fort Bliss. I know close to nothing about the city and would GREATLY appreciate any advice about where to live. I essentially am looking for a safe, as upscale as possible, close to nice restaurants, shopping etc. area to either purchase or rent in. Thanks in advice for any suggestions!

Unread 01-05-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3jwang View Post
I'm a 30 something year old physician, being relocated to El Paso from NYC to work at Fort Bliss. I know close to nothing about the city and would GREATLY appreciate any advice about where to live. I essentially am looking for a safe, as upscale as possible, close to nice restaurants, shopping etc. area to either purchase or rent in. Thanks in advice for any suggestions!
Every neighborhood is actually pretty safe as far as violent crime but "upscale" as in where the physicians often like to live means zip codes 79912 and 79922 - there are physicians renting in the area close and north of the Sunland Park mall that like it there, Mesa Hills area, and there are houses and condominiums and apartments in those two zip codes that would suit you. Basically that's the West Side.

Otherwise I believe there are physicians living in the far East part of town, new housing, near the new Sierra Providence Hospital.

Unread 01-05-2010, 12:19 PM

21 posts, read 45,074 times
Smile Location, Location, Location

As a rule, every city has "preferred" areas that tend to be safer, better maintained, more attractive, better developed, etc. and the properties in these areas are always in high demand. Consequently, the real estate prices in these areas tend to be generally higher. In most cities, if you want to avoid troublesome neighborhoods, gang activity, poorly maintained homes, second rate schools, and in general "bad areas", you have to invest a bit more in your home to "buy your way out". This rule doesn't really apply in El Paso. The developers have made it possible for you to buy a $150,000 home in the middle of a block with a $70,000 home on one side of yours and a $250,000 home on the other side. There are few neighborhoods that are exclusively in the same general price range. There are even areas where a subdivision is filled with houses that range from $200,000 to $350,000 that are surrounded by other subdivisions filled with duplexes, quadraplexes, low income housing apartments, and HUD housing. This does nothing to help property values, but it does tend to bring the crime rates up. You really have to physically visit El Paso and visually shop around. You can't really go by what you see on the internet. There are lots of great places to live in the area, but you can't be sure if you are looking at them on line. You can still get some bargains in Horizon City, and they are building a High School now. Still, you must understand that Horizon is a good distance from El Paso. Most folks I know who live out there say it is just a routine to "go to town" for nearly everything they need. Traffic is a problem since everyone has to use on of three routes to come or go from there. There is currently a lot of new construction in Horizon right now, and it is now helping matters. I live on the Far Eastside of El Paso, and although it is very convenient, a full third of the population lives on the Eastside, making traffic very heavy at rush hours. The pavement on the Eastside is deplorable! The city apparently is overwhelmed and cannot keep up with the dissolving roads we drive upon daily, judging from the bumps, dips, potholes, cracks and uneven pavement that is so common. Montwood is as rough as any unpaved dirt road you can find out in the desert, and gets worse after each rain. The Northeast side of town is in decline, and shows few signs of recovery. The Westside is more expensive per square foot, but probably worth a look. Be careful when you shop and avoid homes in low lying areas in all parts of town. El Paso uses city street for storm sewers, and flash flooding during heavy rains is very common. One entire neighborhood in Central El Paso was permanently wiped out after torrential rains flooded it out and washed a good portion of it away! The Upper Valley is nice, older and relatively expensive because the homes are on big lots in desirable areas. One common complaint there is limited access roads, mosquitoes and the distance from a hospital. The Lower Vally is nice, older and relatively cheap because the homes are often more than 70 years old and were not very expensive when they were new. Many of the homes have been added on to so many times, the original floor plans are nearly unrecognizable. Quality of construction is an issue since the water table is only about 4 feet below grade and many homes have settled substantially. These areas almost always flood after a heavy rain as well. There is no perfect area in which to live. It is simply a matter of finding the area that suits you best, then hunting down the house that steals your heart.

Unread 01-05-2010, 08:24 PM

One thing I don't know is if Fort Bliss doctors live near the army base or in an area different than the majority of doctors that aren't military. There are also nice neighborhoods in the NE part of town, and you might want to actually ask Fort Bliss doctors.

Living close enough to work can be convenient, even required if you have to take call. Where a lot of the doctors live would be on the other side of the mountain from Fort Bliss, and not so convenient.

Unread 01-05-2010, 10:35 PM

5 posts, read 30,679 times
We are moving to El Paso in March. This thread is very helpful especially for us whose never been there before. I have found some nice houses in 79912, 79924, 79936. Can't wait to call realtors tomorrow.

Unread 01-06-2010, 10:40 PM

19 posts, read 15,103 times
i'd agree! people are very helpful in this forum!

ilse <-- who dreams of the possible, yet not anywhere near decided, move!

Unread 01-08-2010, 09:23 AM

270 posts, read 341,868 times
Coolrunning, that was a VERY GOOD analysis and the BEST one I have read .

Unread 01-08-2010, 09:48 AM

479 posts, read 734,633 times
You really should come and look around a bit, there are so many different areas to live! We bought a house out in Horizon before we arrived to El Paso. It is about 17 miles to Fort Bliss (where my husband works). It is quiet and you feel "out in the country' to a degree out here in Horizon. However, as one poster mentioned, it is a 10 minute drive to the nearest big shopping area. This would bother some, some it wouldn't. And, there is a grocery store, walgreens, movie store, couple of pizza places and other restaurants and two dollar stores in Horizon, which is really nice. I can not say much for the schools though :-( I am homeschooling mine ~ they went to school for about 2 weeks and we had to pull them:-( I over all love living out in Horizon, and i LOVE my house............you get a lot of house for your buck........ But everyone is right, there are many great places to live and many factors to consider.

Unread 01-12-2010, 07:52 PM

6 posts, read 10,502 times
Thanks for all the good advice. I will be on call fairly often, but I don't think there is a specific requirement for me to live within a certain number of miles from the hospital. I think as long as the drive is about 15-20 min without traffic I should be fine. I'm leaning more towards a luxury complex on the west side of the town now from the advice i've gotten from others thus far. Does anyone have any suggestions about any relatively new ultra luxury condos or apartment complexes on the west side?

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso