Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 10:20 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,945,215 times

Advertisements

The first time I heard of El Paso, I originally think it's a high-crime city for a long time (since I was a small kid) because it's next to Juarez and the Mexico border. Then I was fooled and found out it's the 2nd safest city in the nation (no way). With the great weather, low-crime, next to Mexico, great food and fun, could El Paso possibly be rated the best city to live in United States with its population all (or almost) Hispanic?

I hear more positives in El Paso than Laredo, Brownsville, Hialeah Florida, and etc, so it makes me wonder if El Paso leads the pack? Only one city may be better, which is San Antonio, but I'm not sure.

No, I'm not Hispanic but Chinese. I'm just too astound with El Paso lately. And if I'm correct, Hispanic people like Chinese food, right? Please correct me if I'm wrong (no offense).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 03:09 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,738,703 times
El Paso did recieve an honorable mention in Hispanic Magazine on being one of the best cities for Hispanics.

Quote:
El Paso:
An enormous Mexican American population means that Hispanic culture is alive and well in this border city. Hispanics have successfully made their way into every cultural and civic arena, and head up major local organizations.

Source: Hispanic Magazine (http://www.hispaniconline.com/HispanicMag/2009_08-09/Features-Cities.htm - broken link)
Granted all the other major Texas cities (Austin, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio) actually made the list.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:41 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,099 times
I'm not sure if you are just fishing or thinking of moving here ..or Colorado, or Idaho or California. Many Hispanics like El Paso because they are not marginalized and can enjoy the American Dream. Many move away because the job opportunities aren't here. What was your question?

Old 10-18-2010, 10:35 AM

471 posts, read 807,413 times
I've lived here for a year and a half. In general I do like it. I had been planing to stay here for a few years. I love the mountains here and the short drive to NM. It is safe and the people are nice. The job market sucks. Bottom line. And if you don't speak spanish that takes you out of the running for a lot of them. It is kind of colorless here in the desert. It is beautiful but I'm missing trees and grass. And to be honest being around mostly hispanics and having trouble understanding their accent when trying to talk in a store or wherever is getting real old. Tired of the whole hispanic flavor in general. Getting tired of looking at hooptie cars and trucks with Chihuahua plates driving 20mph under the speed limit. I hate I live so close to Mexico but can't visit because I don't want to die. It's been good here but in two weeks I'm moving back home to D/FW.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:32 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,136,850 times
There is definitely different levels to the Hispanic theme in El Paso. There are many 3rd of 4th generation Americans here, who are Hispanic, who would close down the border if possible. Regardless of any statistic or percentage, not all Hispanics in El Paso are similar. Some love their Mexican roots. Some want nothing to do with Mexican culture. Just like anywhere else, everyone here has a their own individual personality.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:17 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,831,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
There is definitely different levels to the Hispanic theme in El Paso. There are many 3rd of 4th generation Americans here, who are Hispanic, who would close down the border if possible. Regardless of any statistic or percentage, not all Hispanics in El Paso are similar. Some love their Mexican roots. Some want nothing to do with Mexican culture. Just like anywhere else, everyone here has a their own individual personality.

There's quite a few Central Americans in El Paso, too (mainly Guatemalans, Hondurans, Salvadorans, Nicaraguans and Panamanians); I read a US Census demographic report on El Paso and I think it said that about half of El Pasoans are of Mexican descent and about another one-sixth claim ancestry from one (or more) of the Central American countries. I remember hearing talk about a local Guatemalan-American society possibly being formed (there was a meeting announced in the El Paso Times to discuss it). I don't know what came of it.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:34 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,136,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atrabilius View Post
There's quite a few Central Americans in El Paso, too (mainly Guatemalans, Hondurans, Salvadorans, Nicaraguans and Panamanians); I read a US Census demographic report on El Paso and I think it said that about half of El Pasoans are of Mexican descent and about another one-sixth claim ancestry from one (or more) of the Central American countries. I remember hearing talk about a local Guatemalan-American society possibly being formed (there was a meeting announced in the El Paso Times to discuss it). I don't know what came of it.
Great point. So many people on this forum want to make a big deal out of the high percentage of Hispanics in El Paso. They should at least acknowledge the diversity among Hispanics here. This town doesn't get the recognition of being a trailblazer in terms of integration.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:03 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,442,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atrabilius View Post
I find this hard to belive. There would be way more restaurants that sell pupusas. I bet there is not even one central american type restaurant in EP.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:47 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,831,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post
I find this hard to belive. There would be way more restaurants that sell pupusas. I bet there is not even one central american type restaurant in EP.

I'm trying to find it--I think it must have included people of Central American ancestry born in this country, because on the US Census site I got this
custom table.

It actually covers the El Paso "urban area" in Texas and New Mexico and it's from ten years ago (the 2000 census).

Out of 674,801 people in the El Paso metro area in 2000, 445,869 claimed Mexican descent, 4165 said they're Puerto Rican, and 1441 said they're Central American, including 297 Guatemalans, 199 Hondurans, 117 Nicaraguans,390 Panamanians, and 313 Salvadorans; 67 are Costa Rican and the rest (58) are "other" (I guess that could mean Belizean; Belize is the only other Central American country).

Then there's 811 South Americans; only Colombians, Argentinians and Peruvians (in that order) number more than 100 (252, 131 and 122, respectively).

Then there's 522 Cubans and 149 Dominicans, and 259 said they're Spaniards.

Maybe this makes more sense in light of what you said.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:22 PM

130 posts, read 322,213 times
I get a little over 2% of Hispanics not claiming mexican descent (9293 total). Not sure how this compares to other cities but it seems low. I was surprised at the percentage of Mexican descent with respect to total population (66%) - I thought it would be closer to 80%. Though, the difference could be attributed to shoppers from Juarez.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso