Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 11:22 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times

Advertisements

I just got back from about a week and a half in Tucson as our Company sent us out there to assist in a takeover of an apartment complex and a couple of things stood out to me in my short time there.

First for those who complain about EP being hot (yes it does) it averaged 110 daily out there and they said it will be hotter by august. Also didn't see a water park like EP has Wet and Wild water park.

Secondly it is a very OLD looking city as the streets and medians are cracked bad do to high temps and the parks that i saw where brown as again the high temp and suns rays must be blasting the grass very hard.

Was unimpressed with the U of Arizona (looks wise) as most of their buildings were 1950's brick and couldn't come close to UTEP IMHO.

They have one major freeway I-10 and a partial one heading south to Nogales (don't remember the Interstate #) and were very old and cruddy but to their credit are going thru a major overhaul/expansion but the Loop 375 and north I-54 expansions in EP are very nice in comparrison.

The wages are better there but there are alot of migrants there like in EP which work very cheaply in wages. I also believe Tucson gets shafted in state funds like EP does as Phoenix gets most of the road monies etc.. like Dallas, Houston, San Antonio do in texas over El Paso.

Anyway not sure what else to add but i though comparing the 2 cities that EP held its own against Tucson although Tucson does have some Beautiful Resort and Spa retreats in the Mountains there.

Anyway just wanted to post about another hard core desert city compared to EP as i had the rare opportunity to visit Tucson and Arizona ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 05:24 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry o View Post
I just got back from about a week and a half in Tucson as our Company sent us out there to assist in a takeover of an apartment complex and a couple of things stood out to me in my short time there.

First for those who complain about EP being hot (yes it does) it averaged 110 daily out there and they said it will be hotter by august. Also didn't see a water park like EP has Wet and Wild water park.

Secondly it is a very OLD looking city as the streets and medians are cracked bad do to high temps and the parks that i saw where brown as again the high temp and suns rays must be blasting the grass very hard.

Was unimpressed with the U of Arizona (looks wise) as most of their buildings were 1950's brick and couldn't come close to UTEP IMHO.

They have one major freeway I-10 and a partial one heading south to Nogales (don't remember the Interstate #) and were very old and cruddy but to their credit are going thru a major overhaul/expansion but the Loop 375 and north I-54 expansions in EP are very nice in comparrison.

The wages are better there but there are alot of migrants there like in EP which work very cheaply in wages. I also believe Tucson gets shafted in state funds like EP does as Phoenix gets most of the road monies etc.. like Dallas, Houston, San Antonio do in texas over El Paso.

Anyway not sure what else to add but i though comparing the 2 cities that EP held its own against Tucson although Tucson does have some Beautiful Resort and Spa retreats in the Mountains there.

Anyway just wanted to post about another hard core desert city compared to EP as i had the rare opportunity to visit Tucson and Arizona ....

I was in Tucson once when it was 118 degrees. That's a bit on the warm side for me.

El Paso doesn't get hot and it doesn't get cold -- but it has just enough weather that you know what time of year it is.

Old 06-30-2007, 05:27 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:

Well -- most people would obviously pick Tucson for the better wages, opportunities, and better certain social conditions. No getting around that.

It's too hot there though. There are mountains nearby -- that helps. I suppose I COULD move to Tucson if I had to -- it would be a toss-up between Albuequerque and Tucson -- one is too hot, one is too cold.

Old 06-30-2007, 09:59 PM

879 posts, read 3,037,425 times
I passed through Tucson in April and they have some nice areas, but a lot of that town did seem burned up and that was in April. They do have a lot of golf courses and they do have those resorts that I hear are first class. I think they are moving forward and will get better as the years go by, they do get passed by a lot by Phoenix, but I'm sure they still get more say in their state politics, especially with them being the 2nd major city in that state and they are only 100 miles away from Phoenix..especially when you compare that to Texas and El Paso, big difference.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:06 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,954,930 times
El Paso vs Tucson, I would live in El Paso.

Love the comment most would choose Tucson for the better wages and blah blah blah... Ha its El Paso just in Arizona. And a tad hotter normally there.

Choose neither, move to Mississippi.. =)

Old 07-02-2007, 09:07 AM

421 posts, read 2,156,549 times
I visited Tuscon once 12+ years ago and thought it was pretty cool with a great nightlife. I forgot what area we hung out at, but it was young and hip. Maybe I felt positive about it since that was in the evening though.. There's no way I would live in a city with temps like they have, higher wages or not.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:46 PM

Here's the ''Fourth of July'' temps for these cities tomorrow (newspapers)

Tucson.........110/79..... 14% Humidity
El Paso.........100/76..... 22% Humidity
Albuquerque...93/66...... 16% Humidity
San Antonio...85/72...... 74% Humidity

Old 07-03-2007, 12:51 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,714,750 times
Quote:
Here's the ''Fourth of July'' temps for these cities tomorrow (newspapers)

Tucson.........110/79..... 14% Humidity
El Paso.........100/76..... 22% Humidity
Albuquerque...93/66...... 16% Humidity
San Antonio...85/72...... 74% Humidity
Although in fairness Harry, you do have to admit that the high in Albuquerque today is to be 103 degrees, and in EP 105... ! But you are 100% right...ABQ and EP are NOTHING compared to summer in Tucson. But then again, summer in Tucson is nothing compared to summer in Phoenix!

Old 07-03-2007, 03:06 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,442,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
Although in fairness Harry, you do have to admit that the high in Albuquerque today is to be 103 degrees, and in EP 105... ! But you are 100% right...ABQ and EP are NOTHING compared to summer in Tucson. But then again, summer in Tucson is nothing compared to summer in Phoenix!

I think were nitpicking here, anything over 100F is freaking HOT! It's been pretty pleasent here in the Houston area, with highs only in the mid 80's to mid 90's. The humidity does not bother my as much as it used to, maybe it's because I don't work outside and are always in an air conditioned building, and or car.

When I go to EP in Late August it will "feel" like home with that monsoon moist air that usually hits el paso around that time of the year.

Old 07-03-2007, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
Hey Enjoy......Yeap i got what your saying. I was just posting from each of these cities newspapers online edition 5 or 7 day forcasts as they have it. Hey who knows maybe Tucson will be the coolest tomorrow if they're wrong....lol...

Only printed San Antonio's as i wanted to show the Humidity and i'm sure by 5.00 p.m. tomorrow their temps will exceed 85 as that seems awfully low at this time of year for San Antonio.

Now if we can just get the Biloxi, Mississippi forcast......lol.....

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 07-03-2007 at 03:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso