Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 05:05 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,602,083 times

Advertisements

I personally hve not been to El Paso in over thirty years. I am in Houston, probably the most freeway reliant city in the nation. Well at least maybe Texas. I do not know much of anything about El Paso except that it is located in the beautiful desert southwest and, according to another thread in this forum, the crime rate is miniscule, even non-existent compared to Houston. I love and keep up with general mobility plans for Texas. I am just curious as to what yall El Pasoans, please forgive me if that is incorrect, think of your freeways and traffic. I am also curious as to what yall think of any future transportation projects(freeways, roads, etc.) that are planned for the greater El Paso metropolitan area. Thanks in advance,AmberAzeneth!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 07:03 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,954,972 times
That big freaking mountain limits east-west options. I-10 gets congested in rush hour and there are plans for a parallel relief highway -upgrading the Border Highway east of downtown and connecting it a new highway (upgraded Paisano) west of town up to Sunland Park. A new interchange under construction at I-10/Joe Battle will help feed this option. Unfortunately it's proposed as an electronic toll highway - and that will limit it's traffic (except for Juarez plates). El Paso's not ready for tolls.

New Mexico has upgraded I-10 to 3 lanes from Las Cruces down to the Texas border. Texas has no plans to widen I-10 to 3 lanes from the border south to Mesa (currently 2 lanes). The plan is to make a highway bypass from I10/Anthony through the Anthony Gap and link up with the Joe Battle highway on the east side. I expect this will take much truck traffic off the I-10 through downtown as the grades will be manageble - unlike Transmountain Road.

Public transit will remain bus focussed and SunMetro has done a good job building local hub bus stations to co-ordinate local and express routes. I can't see any streetcar/light rail options getting off the ground.

Overall, realistic transportation alternatives are limited. IMHO the main issues remain handling increasing I-10 commuter traffic from new far west and far east subdivisions and reducing public transit travel times.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:12 PM

Heck, I wish Houston wasn't so heavily tolled. I have an E-Z tag and and it does add up. Gary, are you a proponent of what is being done and what is proposed? I can say from experience that sometimes TxDot doesn't always get it right, right of way. No pun intended. I am for the expansion and extebsion of freeways. I think to much now that all the state and counties want are toll roads. MetroRail in Houston is a joke. Enough said on MetroRail. The bust system is okay at best, but should go further out to better serve more suburbs.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:18 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,830,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
I can't see any streetcar/light rail options getting off the ground.
I thought El Paso had brought back the streetcars in the central part of town, at least temporarily.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrabilius View Post
I thought El Paso had brought back the streetcars in the central part of town, at least temporarily.
No, the old PCC cars are rusting out by the airport.

Street Car graveyard at El Paso International Airport
(use the rotate arrows for a better view)

New street cars would have to be ordered, or old ones restored, and then tracks laid and overhead wires hung. I think it's too expensive with little practical benefit. Plus the old cars have no air conditioning. They could come back as a tourist draw and part of attempts to revitalize downtown. I'd love to see the old Popular area revived.

The old cars ran on Stanton street. I don't know if anyone has tried to get to Juarez in the evenings - but when the Border Patrol sets up southbound checkpoints (free bridge & downtown) it's chaos with traffic backing up Stanton to Paisano and it can take an hour to reach the bridge with cars trying to cut in from the sides.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:07 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberAzeneth View Post
I personally hve not been to El Paso in over thirty years. I am in Houston, probably the most freeway reliant city in the nation. Well at least maybe Texas. I do not know much of anything about El Paso except that it is located in the beautiful desert southwest and, according to another thread in this forum, the crime rate is miniscule, even non-existent compared to Houston. I love and keep up with general mobility plans for Texas. I am just curious as to what yall El Pasoans, please forgive me if that is incorrect, think of your freeways and traffic. I am also curious as to what yall think of any future transportation projects(freeways, roads, etc.) that are planned for the greater El Paso metropolitan area. Thanks in advance,AmberAzeneth!!
I think traffic congestion will only get much worse here as this city is growing extremely fast. I also think it was nice as a moderate sized city with open spaces and a nice view of the mountain.

I don't think people here go much for mass transportation because we have a fairly good bus system but the buses are often driving around empty. It's perfect weather for bike riding but with the traffic and very few bike paths, few people ride bikes.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:48 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,134,656 times
I can't argue about the need for more bike lanes but bicycling is very popular in El Paso. Both mountain and street. A ton, a lot, lots, of people in El Paso are into bicycling.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
I can't argue about the need for more bike lanes but bicycling is very popular in El Paso. Both mountain and street. A ton, a lot, lots, of people in El Paso are into bicycling.
I have never ever seen a cyclist using the Redd Road and Belvidere bike lanes. I do see cyclists & walkers on Resler north of the Sam Brown school... and way more people out and about in Las Cruces - even in the newer barren subdivisions.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:33 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,134,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
I have never ever seen a cyclist using the Redd Road and Belvidere bike lanes. I do see cyclists & walkers on Resler north of the Sam Brown school... and way more people out and about in Las Cruces - even in the newer barren subdivisions.
It depends on the time of day and part of town. Go by the Patriot Freeway or Transmountain Road on a Sunday Morning. Go by the Anthony Gap or old War road on the weekends. Tons and tons of cyclist.

On the flip, there are some designated areas in the NE and eastside that are never used. Some are not practical. There is one on Rushing Rd that is a complete joke.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:36 PM

Getting some great feedback. Wow, biking in Houston can be done, you just can't be to far from your job. Houston is the king of urban sprawl so there isn't that many bicyclist on the main roads. Who knows, they could incorporate that with the next tollway, The Grand Parkway, but I seriously doubt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso