Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 04:49 PM

6 posts, read 14,669 times

Advertisements

HELP! My family and I desperately want out of California, once and for all (she was born and raised along the Gulf Coast of TX, then married me--born and raised in Southern Cal'--and relocated with her husband, me, to So' Cal' in 1990, and we've been in the High Desert region just off of I-15 since that time). We are considering four different regions of Texas to relocate to within the next twelve months: El Paso, Dallas/Fort Worth, San Antonio, and Houston/Galveston. Currently, I'm unemployed in So' Cal', but have my own entertainment company where I sing all kinds of music, I write music, I do voice-overs, and I write (political/social commentary and short stories). I can take temp' work 'til something worthwhile in music, singing/emceeing and/or writing comes along, and will do whatever it is I have to do to escape So' Cal' and an out-of-control state government and liberal-minded electorate (just not the same ol' So' Cal' I remember growing up with). Any suggestions, web sites, books, and/or publications to check out to help us decide where to move to in Texas (El Paso, Dallas/Fort Worth, San Antonio, or Houston/Galveston)? Thanks a bunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 04:56 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,164,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertGOP View Post
I can take temp' work 'til something worthwhile in music, singing/emceeing and/or writing comes along...
So why isn't Austin at the top of your list? It's been where the action is at for many years when it comes to your kind of job needs.

Old 01-01-2011, 06:25 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertGOP View Post
HELP! My family and I desperately want out of California, once and for all (she was born and raised along the Gulf Coast of TX, then married me--born and raised in Southern Cal'--and relocated with her husband, me, to So' Cal' in 1990, and we've been in the High Desert region just off of I-15 since that time). We are considering four different regions of Texas to relocate to within the next twelve months: El Paso, Dallas/Fort Worth, San Antonio, and Houston/Galveston. Currently, I'm unemployed in So' Cal', but have my own entertainment company where I sing all kinds of music, I write music, I do voice-overs, and I write (political/social commentary and short stories). I can take temp' work 'til something worthwhile in music, singing/emceeing and/or writing comes along, and will do whatever it is I have to do to escape So' Cal' and an out-of-control state government and liberal-minded electorate (just not the same ol' So' Cal' I remember growing up with). Any suggestions, web sites, books, and/or publications to check out to help us decide where to move to in Texas (El Paso, Dallas/Fort Worth, San Antonio, or Houston/Galveston)? Thanks a bunch!
El Paso is very liberal - if that's a factor, you might want to consider the others.

Old 01-01-2011, 06:55 PM

722 posts, read 2,101,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
El Paso is very liberal - if that's a factor, you might want to consider the others.
as would be looking for a job

Old 01-02-2011, 09:42 AM

130 posts, read 322,238 times
El paso provides the smallest lifestyle change but a sufficient political change. The city "feels" westcoast to me and looks pretty much like the high dessert of apple valley. Living wise, its like living in east la without the gangs. Sometimes when i drive west near downtown incould swear that im driving on the I5 in east la. As stated earlier, el paso is democratic but not progressively like so cal. Basically, politics is not a way of life in el paso (aside from local county politics). Another benefit - the weather is similar to your current home. The bad news - better find a job before moving.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:23 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Passeaux View Post
as would be looking for a job
How good is your Spanish? For many jobs that is a big factor but not for all jobs. People are pouring over here from Juarez and they get first dibs at most jobs. Unemployment rates here have shot up. A lot of the new businesses are from Juarez and they hire "their own" which means no typical American need apply.

But - I like it here - the weather is great, it's good for outdoors activities depending on what you like to do outdoors. You might also want to consider Las Cruces.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:47 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,442,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alov0303 View Post
El paso provides the smallest lifestyle change but a sufficient political change. The city "feels" westcoast to me and looks pretty much like the high dessert of apple valley. Living wise, its like living in east la without the gangs. Sometimes when i drive west near downtown incould swear that im driving on the I5 in east la. As stated earlier, el paso is democratic but not progressively like so cal. Basically, politics is not a way of life in el paso (aside from local county politics). Another benefit - the weather is similar to your current home. The bad news - better find a job before moving.
LOL, you are comparing EP to one of the LEAST desirable areas of SoCal.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:01 AM

2 posts, read 9,885 times
I've lived all over Texas, I'd also say Austin is better for the music scene, or even Dallas or San Antonio, as all 3 of the cities are very laid back and culturally diverse.

Old 03-16-2017, 06:43 PM

575 posts, read 884,456 times
El Paso has it's own beauty; the people here are great; you get used to the weather, and creative, thoughtful people can manage, creative, thoughtful, and beautiful landscapes; yes, even here.

But it is a blue dot in a red state.

Old 03-17-2017, 12:37 AM

797 posts, read 752,469 times
El Paso has nothing for your field.
Pick Austin or Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso