U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 06:16 PM

2,478 posts, read 3,326,082 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this question can honestly be answered at this specific forum. We shall see. I am no economist. I am not a financial power player. I honestly have a question.

What exactly does Fort Bliss bring to the table as far as the economy in El Paso?

I was surfing some of the message boards of the local news stations. I realize a lot of military employees and their families don't want to be here. I stay away from a lot of the arguments. There is nothing to gain by joining in those specific online arguments. A lot of the newer transplants (at those boards) often say "El Paso is nothing without Fort Bliss" and/or "El Paso would be ghost town without Fort Bliss."

I have all the respect in the world for Fort Bliss but (in my experience) I have never found any real evidence of that.

I am asking for an honest enlightenment about their impact on the Sun City. I not talking about temporary things like the construction of new apartments and/or roads.

I am 36 years old. I have been in my full time career for 17 years. I have owned my small business for 11 years. Fort Bliss, and/or military employees and their families, are not even one percent of my business or clientele. I am not foolish enough to think my sole experience represents anything more than just me.

I also understand that it would be a loss (financially) if Fort Bliss closed up shop. I just don't see how anyone would think we would become a ghost town without it. Anyone have info that could educate me on this subject?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 12:13 AM
ZSP

1,173 posts, read 2,199,780 times
Topic is too hot for me to even touch... But in a nutshell, I've lived here for 40+ years, more years than you are old, and have seen firsthand the ups and downs of Ft. Bliss and its effect on El Paso. IMHO, most are positive but with the good comes the bad as well. I do not think El Paso would be a ghost town without Ft. Bliss.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:58 AM

2,620 posts, read 2,556,664 times
I feel certain there have been studies done and results published but a quick search of the internet was not very revealing. The few statistics I did find are dated in the 1990s and not very useful now.

For example: What has been the annual payroll for the military in El Paso for the past _?_ years?

What is the overall federal budget/allocation for annual operations of ALL military agencies located at Ft. Bliss?

etc.

As for my own personal feelings on the subject, I feel much more secure knowing of the military presence, ESPECIALLY considering the current state of affairs across the border. Imagine the angst if there were no large military presence now!

Old 01-08-2011, 11:10 AM

I can understand that. Though I am not sure what type of security a military employee can offer (legally) versus a peace officer. But yeah, I wasn't talking about the honor of the job or the type of character military employees have. I was hoping to pinpoint it to a financial issue. The "El Paso would be a ghost town without Fort Bliss" statement. There have been many things I have always assumed to be one way and in reality were another. While I think it is great we have Fort Bliss here, I certainly don't think the city is dependent on it. Again, if I wrong, I would like to be educated on the matter.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:20 AM

47,586 posts, read 35,497,518 times
I agree it wouldn't be a ghost town because El Paso is a sanctuary city and people are pouring over the border in very large numbers now. Estimates are 80,000 to 120,000 recently arrived - they are filling the apartments, houses, motels. I think El Paso is looking more like a refugee town with the rich bringing their luxury vehicles and enjoying their shopping at the malls and of course they bring their servants.

El Paso is looking like the opposite of a ghost town, and you can hardly notice the military families moving in as they are vastly outnumbered.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:38 AM

3,858 posts, read 3,925,465 times
Bliss helps retail sales but that will be a bit diminished with the opening of the new on-base Freedom Crossing mall. A Dick Poe salesman told me that about about 1/3rd of sales are to military personnel. I expect this ratio also applies to other area car dealers. The base hires many local contractors but the downside is that they have to get to the base early and line up for an hour or more to get through security.
I still get mistabinks' point. The military have a big freaking base here but this doesn't feel like a military town.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
The military have a big freaking base here but this doesn't feel like a military town.
Which I think is a good thing for all people involved.

As an El Pasoan, I don't want all the city's eggs in basket (dependence on Fort Bliss). I'm hoping we hitch our wagon to the Medical Center of the Americas and the new Union Pacific expansion.

For Fort Bliss employees and families, I would think El Paso offers them a place to live as a normal person, and not strictly being known for their occupation. A place to your own identity separate from the military.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:50 PM

2,620 posts, read 2,556,664 times
I don't think the military presence is near as obvious today as it has been in the past, when El Paso was much smaller and the bases much larger. I was a child growing up during WWII when the military presence was VERY noticeable. I recall the MPs patrolling in the downtown area, alongside city police. Once upon a time El Paso was home to a Strategic Air Base with the very latest and largest bombers stationed there. You couldn't help noticing THEM, for certain.

I can also recall when a person could witness all sorts of fireworks as close to the city limits as Castner Range - which is overlaid with housing developments today. Driving US-54 was a nightmare in the years when basic training was a big part of the army's mission - slow moving convoys were no fun to leapfrog around. But watching the anti-aircraft bursts over the desert as they shot at flying targets helped to entertain!

Old 01-09-2011, 11:17 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,462,387 times
Fort Bliss is a huge part of El paso's economy. I served in the U.S.N. from 92-95 and was stationed in Norfolk,VA. Now that is a military town so to speak. The military is the largest employer in the whole Hampton Roads area. It means everything to their economy. It is their economy.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberAzeneth View Post
Fort Bliss is a huge part of El paso's economy. I served in the U.S.N. from 92-95 and was stationed in Norfolk,VA. Now that is a military town so to speak. The military is the largest employer in the whole Hampton Roads area. It means everything to their economy. It is their economy.
Can you expand on Fort Bliss being a huge part of El Paso's economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso