Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 03:00 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times

Advertisements

Is it a common practice to have some perscriptions filled in Mexico? My understanding is you can get them much cheaper than here. How is the quality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 04:34 PM

507 posts, read 2,061,843 times
I believe the law changed recently in the Mexico, you now need an actual prescription for narcotic medications. But of course for a little cha-ching, you can get someone to overlook that. I don't know from experience, it's just things I've heard. As for quality, I believe they often times use the generic which are the chemical equivalent to the brand names.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:45 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,137,412 times
The compound they use to mix drugs are different in Juarez. Not better or worse - just different.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:12 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
At least before you didn't need a prescription for antiobiotics which saves one from having to go to a doctor and pay a doctor's bill, you could just go over and get antibiotics and other medicines that require a prescription here. I think they had rules for narcotic type drugs in the past also, or maybe that was when you brought them back over that you needed to show a prescription.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
At least before you didn't need a prescription for antiobiotics which saves one from having to go to a doctor and pay a doctor's bill, you could just go over and get antibiotics and other medicines that require a prescription here.
That leads to self diagnosing and over use. Not all antibiotics and medicines work on all ailments. Medication is actually something that needs regulation.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:25 AM

524 posts, read 1,370,039 times
I dont know..if you can get your prescriptions filled there if you bring a US doctor.s prescription, but you NOW..I see signs that you have to see a Mexican doctor to get prescriptions filled. yes..they are cheaper but so is the doctor's visit, along with everything else there in Mexico. I of course go to Juarez..to see my OWN doctor there along with my dentist..I have checked the companies that make these drugs..that I buy..and they are the same companies as in the US..Merck, Upjohn, to name a few. I have NEVER had a bad experience from going to the doctor to taking drugs there from Mexico, but go at your own risk..and I prefer the MExican doctors anyway..they dont make money from their prescriptions like US doctors do..!!

Old 05-14-2011, 12:32 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,786 times
Drugs are cheaper in Mexico and, as XChucoresident said, most are made by the same multinational companies that make drugs for the US market.

Old 05-14-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
That leads to self diagnosing and over use. Not all antibiotics and medicines work on all ailments. Medication is actually something that needs regulation.
Yeah - I was just commenting that's what's done. Doctors also over prescribe and a lot of antiobiotics are becoming useless. I can see why someone might know what they have, look up the side effects and doseages in a PDR but also the pharmacists in Mexico used to, I don't know about now, assist in finding you the right antibiotic or other medicine.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Drugs are cheaper in Mexico and, as XChucoresident said, most are made by the same multinational companies that make drugs for the US market.
Not directed at you Gary but a lot of people don't understand that while the actual medication might be the same - the compound used to mix the medication is different in Juarez - and thus medicine in Mexico is not the same as the same medication in the U.S.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:24 AM

I know one thing -- you can get weight loss pills in Mexico, maybe not always from a pharmacist but they really work.

One guy I know had a wife that did that, she was having trouble shedding post-baby weight, she got some weight loss pills from Mexico from a friend who also used them and had great success losing pounds quickly.

They worked but she ended up addicted to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso