Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 12:41 AM

2 posts, read 5,791 times

Advertisements

So I'm a transfer student who will be attending UTEP this fall. I'm really curious about campus life, Greek, parties, academics, etc. Basically, I want to know everything. I applied for housing at Miner Village, any insight on that? I'll be going to orientation very soon, but information beforehand would be greatly appreciated.

What's the social life like? Student body, any parties, Greek life?

Academics? Are professors challenging and understanding, can they actually teach or do they just blab on about how dog woke up the whole neighborhood in the morning?

On dorms, what are they like? Comfortable, small, etc?

And my final question is, is the campus in general beautiful? By the pictures I can say yes, but in person it is always different.

Thanks for everything!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 02:59 AM

351 posts, read 969,942 times
I went to UTEP for 3 semesters a long time ago (early 90's). It's very much a commuter college, and while I'm sure there is some dorm party life to be had, I doubt it will be comparable to many other colleges... but then again it has been a long time since I've been there. Maybe things have changed.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:34 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,111,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjsoto View Post
I went to UTEP for 3 semesters a long time ago (early 90's). It's very much a commuter college, and while I'm sure there is some dorm party life to be had, I doubt it will be comparable to many other colleges... but then again it has been a long time since I've been there. Maybe things have changed.
I don't think it's changed much, other than to have grown - and still be growing.

As for "beautiful" - depends on where you come from, more than anything. It's one of the "most unique" in terms of architecture and while the earlier buildings have more of the Bhutan look, the newer buildings have attempted to keep within that theme to some extent. This is the "desert southwest" with all that implies for lack of trees and shortage of water to keep things green so the campus doesn't have a lot of greenery - shade trees, etc. It's mostly desert landscaping - meaning cactus and such.

Just off campus is a "party" neighborhood for those who need that sort of thing. Late-night activities as well as other types of daytime establishments that cater to the student population. On campus activities, as stated, are pretty tame. Within easy driving distance are large malls and varied shopping / dining opportunities.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:06 AM

643 posts, read 1,307,334 times
What Joqua said. Also, it will depend on what your course of study will be and the groups that pertain to it.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:26 AM

21 posts, read 57,068 times
Loved UTEP! I enjoyed the academics (again, it depends on your field of study). The University is getting a lot better. Great tailgates, good basketball games to watch, and the greek life is fun (except the lack of frat/sor houses)! But, they manage to get by and stay active. There is a neighborhood of bars right off campus and it continues to see improvements. Development continues both off campus and on (not to mention nearby downtown) and that is a good key indicator that things are only going to get better. UTEP is currently doing the finishing touches on a brand new gym (with a rock climbing wall inside). I enjoyed it all! Than again, I wasn't a geek so I was able to make things fun!

I'm a "grown-up" now and live outside the state. However, I do catch myself thinking about El Paso/UTEP a lot.

Enjoy!

Old 06-12-2011, 11:26 PM

507 posts, read 1,654,124 times
it's a commuter college, but it's not bad. if you know someone you are bound to find house parties every weekend. I have a few friends that are in frats they enjoy it.
Miner Village is fairly new as well so it's pretty nice
I dont personally go to UTEP, but have a lot of friends that do so Im just going off of what they say

Old 06-13-2011, 10:53 PM

39 posts, read 102,472 times
The campus itself is pretty dead after dinner time. Miner village seems to mainly to have parties with athletes. Off campus there is a growing club scene. As far as Greek life, it is much more low key than most universities.

Academics - There are some great professors, and some who have no business teaching its really on you to look at ratings or ask around about a particular class - also keep in mind that as UTEP becomes more research oriented, teaching becomes less of a priority. Historically, UTEP is a teaching and not a research school.

The campus has distinctive architecture for certain, now half of it looks like a construction zone.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:23 AM

730 posts, read 1,887,589 times
It is a commuter campus, but college life is what you make of it. There around 200 student organizations and greek life, though smaller than some campuses, is pretty evident in the traditional population. We don't have a Greek Row, but then many schools don't. Posters are right that Cincinnati district is very lively, especially around St. Patrick, Cinco de Mayo, and New Year's. Folks may put down UTEP football, but I am happy with the turnouts for our games (even our low is more than five times what NMSU gets). Miner Village and Miner Heights may have more athletes and international, but they tend to be the out of town students. You get apartment style living, and for some it seems small, but convenience and other living worries are taken care of. And with parking on campus, you will appreciate being walking distance to everything.

Poster is right about the renovated Recreation Center....it will be a spectacular facility. All the new construction on campus is a good thing, and despite what foks may believe, the buildings are funded by the state, not your tuition dollars. And upgrading/adding to the facilities are essential. I am here everyday; some folks will disparage UTEP and they 1) Have not been here since it was TX Western College and 2) have never been here, period.

In terms of academics, if you are a freshman and taking class with 400 other students in the same class, UTEP may seem impersonal. Some studnets may not connect with faculty until they get into their upper division major classes, but as long as you make your self known to professors, teaching assistants and others on campus to assist you, you will be fine. Sitting in the back, not getting on board with your homework and reading from the get go is not the way to succeed. Many students will give up at mid-term and just stop coming. College is expensive....it is more expensive when fail and retake classes and stay in college longer than you should.

That's my three cents.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:10 AM

1 posts, read 4,573 times
Just spent 4 lousy years at UTEP. Lived on campus for all 4 years. I initially spent my first semester of college at Grinnell College which is about a 10th the size of UTEP. The social scene at UTEP is pathetic. Small town mentality is amplified by student body. Ive lived in several different cities and encountered many different student bodies (U of Wash, U of British Columbi - has a nude beach, N. Ariz Univ, TxTech, SMU, Kansas, Univ of Houston) and none have been as lacking in all aspects of collegiate "experience" as El Paso and UTEP is. Miner Village is a decent appartment complex that alienates student from one another in a way that traditional dorms do not. By that I mean, a lack of hallways and small rooms inhibits a sense of collegiate community that is essential for the experience. UTEP education is subpar at best. Professors are typically preoccupied with research as a means of leaving UTEP because they too realize what a crummy university UTEP is. Overall, don't expect much in regards to anything.

Oh, the campus is easy on the eyes.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:05 AM

643 posts, read 1,307,334 times
^^^^^We are so glad you left. Please do not come back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso