Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2011, 07:23 AM

4,364 posts, read 4,562,454 times

Advertisements

There has been a lot of negative media reports concerning Juarez lately. They paint a picture of Juarez as the most dangerous place in the Western Hemisphere. With El Paso being so close by, I was curious as to what opinion the locals have of Juarez. And what sort of relationship do the two cities share? I mean, are they "sister cities", rivals, enemies, or what? Just looking to educate myself! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 08:19 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,163,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
And what sort of relationship do the two cities share? I mean, are they "sister cities", rivals, enemies, or what?
There is no easy answer to your question - which tends to want to generalize the issues. It will also depend on who's attempting to paint the picture of the relationship. MANY El Paso residents, both legal and illegal, have either roots in Mexico/Juarez, family living there, business interests there, etc. Answers will all depend on ones perspective. Best way to get a feel for the current situation is to read through other related threads in this El Paso forum.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:08 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Yes, I think it does depend on who you're talking to. Some people who live in El Paso didn't come from Juarez and never did go over there much at all. Others just arrived from Juarez, some people cross the border all the time and in many ways El Paso is just a neighborhood of Juarez.

In some ways though the problems of Juarez seem much further away, I don't think most people who live in Juarez no matter where they're from are overly concerned with what goes on over there. Even the people from Juarez seem more intent on shopping and partying over here than worrying about the fate of Juarez. Even a day where there are many bodies found just on the other side of the border, people at work will be talking about who got cut from Dancing with the Stars or some other show that interested them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: