Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 09:39 PM

16 posts, read 61,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
LOL @ all the "i haven't heard anything good about El Paso" and "only the westside is nice."

LOL

El Paso is fine. It is not New York City or Los Angeles. El Paso is El Paso.

If people want to be "hands off" parents and expect the schools to raise their children, then maybe El Paso is not for you. I spend time with my little one every day after school specifically dedicated to school work. She has been in the honors and gifted program every year. Gangs, or any bad apples, will probably never be a problem for her because of the way I raised her, not because El Paso has good or bad schools.
No kidding! I'm sorry, but I have to agree with this poster. If your idea of 'parenting' is to allow complete strangers (teachers) raise your children - then maybe El Paso is not for you. Whether you send your child to the priciest private schools in town or send them to public schools-nothing is going to give your child an edge like having a close knit family structure and family support and love. I say this as a psychology student, and am basing my comment on all the child development studies that I have read - as well as personal experience.

I grew up and currently live on the West side. I have never lived outside of the West side, when I have lived in El Paso. So, I can't say this or that side of town is better. I just know my side of town. However: I have lived in Seattle, San Francisco, Denver, and Rome (briefly). I would never raise children anywhere other than El Paso or Denver, they are by far the two safest cities I have ever lived in or visited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 09:58 AM

185 posts, read 463,547 times
get in where you fit in

Old 10-21-2012, 02:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,486 times
Default Very happy to be back !!!!!!

I was raised here in El Paso Texas, graduated from Bel Air High, in the 80's , left to Amarillo Texas right after high school , raised to sons there, the oldest an Engineer, and the youngest in college. Now back in El Paso, looking for a good school for my 2 nieces whom I have been raising since 6 months, now 15. Probably will end up in Coronado, Franklin area. I looked up "best academic high schools in El Paso texas" and showed U.S. News Best High School Ranks, and got good information, College readiness, Math, Reading. I also looked up Amarillo Texas as well but no good results at all, I lived in a good area, but over all IT'S A VERY RACIST TOWN , that covers the whole panhandle and up to the north ! The worst "NO COMMON SENSE" policemen I have ever heard !!! VERY CORRUPT !!!! As a Stylist/Owner I heard over and over those problems ! I AM SO HAPPY TO BE BACK EL PASO !!!!!!! I HAVE MISSED MY WHOLE FAMILIA VERY MUCH ! Yes, I did looked up how My El Paso was doing with all the problem across the border, but as long as you don't get involved with the mafia you will do just fine, El Paso is a very friendly town, with STRONG FAMILY VALUES ! Here in El Paso all racist of all kind are very welcome. You will find the best authentic food ever, and lots of things to do for you and your family. People here have always been very friendly ! My husband who's from Michigan (red neck) in the Military and ended here in El Paso, LOVES the whole familia values. You will go to the parks on Sunday's and will see lots of families having picnics as families like you will not see no where else ! Now I do advice you, you will see lots of parties going on, hispanic go all out on a "celebration" ! Believe me, but all in good taste as well !!!

Old 10-23-2012, 06:22 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,266,413 times
Default Wth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EP GIRL View Post
I was raised here in El Paso Texas, graduated from Bel Air High, in the 80's , left to Amarillo Texas right after high school , raised to sons there, the oldest an Engineer, and the youngest in college. Now back in El Paso, looking for a good school for my 2 nieces whom I have been raising since 6 months, now 15. Probably will end up in Coronado, Franklin area. I looked up "best academic high schools in El Paso texas" and showed U.S. News Best High School Ranks, and got good information, College readiness, Math, Reading. I also looked up Amarillo Texas as well but no good results at all, I lived in a good area, but over all IT'S A VERY RACIST TOWN , that covers the whole panhandle and up to the north ! The worst "NO COMMON SENSE" policemen I have ever heard !!! VERY CORRUPT !!!! As a Stylist/Owner I heard over and over those problems ! I AM SO HAPPY TO BE BACK EL PASO !!!!!!! I HAVE MISSED MY WHOLE FAMILIA VERY MUCH ! Yes, I did looked up how My El Paso was doing with all the problem across the border, but as long as you don't get involved with the mafia you will do just fine, El Paso is a very friendly town, with STRONG FAMILY VALUES ! Here in El Paso all racist of all kind are very welcome. You will find the best authentic food ever, and lots of things to do for you and your family. People here have always been very friendly ! My husband who's from Michigan (red neck) in the Military and ended here in El Paso, LOVES the whole familia values. You will go to the parks on Sunday's and will see lots of families having picnics as families like you will not see no where else ! Now I do advice you, you will see lots of parties going on, hispanic go all out on a "celebration" ! Believe me, but all in good taste as well !!!
At first I laughted at your post, it is funny, but then after finishing it, I changed my mind. I can't see how Bel Air would lower their standards and graduate someone who writes this poorly. But then again, times change. And for you to call your husband a "Redneck", yet claim Amarillo, or the entire panhandle is racist speaks volumes of you. And I guess I am glad El Paso welcomes "racist" of all kinds. And if you think none one but in El Paso goes to parks to have picnics, well, you have not been around much.

This thread was started in 2006 and last updated in 2009... I'm not even going there. EP GIRL is a cool handle, too bad it may have been wasted on trolling. Lastly, I also graduated from Bel Air, nothing to be ashamed of there; it is the student's responsibility to learn, the school just puts forth a map and assistance and successful students always follow it and take the help. Go Big Red!

Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; 10-23-2012 at 06:45 AM..

Old 11-04-2012, 08:41 AM

3 posts, read 4,236 times
EL PASO is a great safe city but westside is better and canutiil ISD is a better school district than EPISD.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:52 PM

643 posts, read 1,312,969 times
Your statement is true and not true at the same time. There are some schools within EPISD that are great and there are some in CISD that are not. It is up to the parents to decide if the curriculum and teaching is up to par. If not, they can transfer to another school.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:04 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,069,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
Yeah there were posts saying "You can't find a Doctor in El Paso." I respect your experience and encounters but I respectfully disagree that Spanish is prevelant here. It's common but not prevelant. I am sure Muhnay will jump all over that and side with you though. I grew up in the lower valley, went to school on the east side. I now live on the east side and work in the northeast. In school, English was spoken 100% of the time. In the lower valley, the neighborhood kids had no problem switching to English for me if they were speaking in Spanish. I wish they hadn't though. I would probably be stronger in Spanish.
this thread is older but I am researching a topic re: EP. Is it possible that the schools demographics have changed since you grew up? That perhaps with many schools in the US now teaching spanish and immersion programs, and many more migrants/immigrants [even in border cities, while always having influence on each other, more people coming to live in the US] has increased the presence of spanish and impacts the school environment and family life?

also, the people posting about having difficulties EP sound culture shocked a bit which is legitimate and good to share with others. -And there are MANY places in the US where you would not think that ANYONE taking your order would not speak basic english. Doesn't matter if it's burger king or elsewhere...So, people who have not lived in states or cities with this cultural atmosphere, would find it challenging. I think the heads up people gave, by sharing their experiences, is fair warning and will probably allow people to self-select, actually. There will be people who live in primarily white, english speaking areas of the US who are not comfortable with EP's culture. They will do research and realize it's not right for them. Others who have lived in similar places [FLA, so cal, AZ, etc] will probably not bat an eye and know what to expect, to some extent.

Also, sometimes people who have lived overseas know what it's like to be an expat, but at home they were familiar with being the majority culturally. Lastly, it's definitely possible that you are immune to some of the challenges b/c you have lived in the area your whole life and are used the ways of being there. Every region has its nuances are far as daily life, how people communicate, what's socially appropriate or not, etc. From CA to NYC, Boston, rural MT, etc. Anyone moving from one extreme region to another would experience these cultural differences and may have negative experiences.

My interpretation from reading this thread, as a neutral outsider, is that defending EP but saying it is 'clarifying the facts', is a bit defensive sounding. I think the comments made were useful and enlightening by the other posters. As I always say, people researching on CD are not going to let 3 comments determine their life choices. We're just collecting info and the truth, as is also often said, is usually 'somewhere in between' the two opposing views.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:17 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
this thread is older but I am researching a topic re: EP. Is it possible that the schools demographics have changed since you grew up? That perhaps with many schools in the US now teaching spanish and immersion programs, and many more migrants/immigrants [even in border cities, while always having influence on each other, more people coming to live in the US] has increased the presence of spanish and impacts the school environment and family life?

also, the people posting about having difficulties EP sound culture shocked a bit which is legitimate and good to share with others. -And there are MANY places in the US where you would not think that ANYONE taking your order would not speak basic english. Doesn't matter if it's burger king or elsewhere...So, people who have not lived in states or cities with this cultural atmosphere, would find it challenging. I think the heads up people gave, by sharing their experiences, is fair warning and will probably allow people to self-select, actually. There will be people who live in primarily white, english speaking areas of the US who are not comfortable with EP's culture. They will do research and realize it's not right for them. Others who have lived in similar places [FLA, so cal, AZ, etc] will probably not bat an eye and know what to expect, to some extent.

Also, sometimes people who have lived overseas know what it's like to be an expat, but at home they were familiar with being the majority culturally. Lastly, it's definitely possible that you are immune to some of the challenges b/c you have lived in the area your whole life and are used the ways of being there. Every region has its nuances are far as daily life, how people communicate, what's socially appropriate or not, etc. From CA to NYC, Boston, rural MT, etc. Anyone moving from one extreme region to another would experience these cultural differences and may have negative experiences.

My interpretation from reading this thread, as a neutral outsider, is that defending EP but saying it is 'clarifying the facts', is a bit defensive sounding. I think the comments made were useful and enlightening by the other posters. As I always say, people researching on CD are not going to let 3 comments determine their life choices. We're just collecting info and the truth, as is also often said, is usually 'somewhere in between' the two opposing views.
Good points -- it's best to have a variety of opinions -- anyone moving here will encounter a variety of opinions later and even form their own.

For me the main selling point of El Paso is the weather, I think it's hard to beat the weather here but some people will say it's too hot, or too dry, not green enough.

I also like the Franklin mountains, especially the way they split the city but some people prefer lakes to mountains and desert.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:37 PM

3 posts, read 5,448 times
Just wanted to give an update, the episd schools are terrible. They are underfunded and the quality of the education is poor compared to DOD schools. Best schools in town are charter(harmony) and there is a wait list but they do k-12 with two locations and there is no cost or doing private school. Horizon to fort bliss is 35 minute commute however on I-10 that can easily be much longer due to traffic and or accidents. Taking 375 can shave off time but it's still a hell of a drive and always heavy traffic headed that way once you get on I-10.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:10 PM

58 posts, read 93,834 times
Interesting. I have a friend who's a teacher in Austin and she has very unfavorable things to say about Harmony (she teaches upper middle school so she sees them when they come back to public schools)...

Also, isn't Horizon in Socorro ISD?

I'm interested in this as we're moving to Bliss this summer - considering renting a house in the Nixon/Nolan Richardson area of NE EP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso