U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 08:54 PM

4,331 posts, read 7,124,236 times

Advertisements

I did not know that the DPS regional office moved from Midland to El Paso... but then, why would I? What I mean is it has not been mentioned here that I recall and so far, anyway, I've not been involved with the DPS.

Anyway, there has been talk about Horizon city here, maybe now is the time to buy some homes, perhaps real estate values will increase with a new DPS office, and Walmart. ??

Walmart, Texas DPS may move into Horizon City site - El Paso Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 09:37 AM

518 posts, read 514,215 times
Pass on the Horizon City thing. There are not that many regulations and many of the homes look like Juarez homes. Don't get me wrong there are some nice houses out there, but there are more shaty homes than the latter. If you want some investment property/homes look into the Cielo Vista area. With the Fountains opening up soon prices are definitely going to skyrocket.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:59 PM

1,628 posts, read 827,583 times
What are the Fountains?

This area is over-built. If the military does downsize, that could put a major drag on realestate. The economy isn't good here.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:53 PM

47,586 posts, read 35,285,110 times
I have a feeling they won't downsize Fort Bliss -- but if they do, then I think it could affect real estate.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:45 PM

You may also want to stay observant of this possibility -- far-fetched as it may seem:

Huyeron a EP… ahora empiezan a regresar | El_Paso | Diario.com.mx

“Es muy difícil tener un porcentaje, pero en las reuniones de AMPI, cada uno conoce tres cuatro o cinco que están regresando a ocupar la casa que dejaron desocupada al irse a El Paso, ya sea a rentar o a comprar… entonces sí vemos una migración de norte a sur de nuevo”, agregó.

“Lo hemos percibido en la ciudad, que se ve viva otra vez, la gente empieza a salir de nuevo, comienzan los ciclos escolares de los niños y muchas personas están regresando a retomar su vida aquí”, añadió.

Interesting comment at the end of the article -- but really why would we want them either Oscarito?

Old 02-03-2012, 08:57 PM

Default Rent?

^^^

How much does a typical place rent for in Juarez anyway? Did many of the 'refugees' move to Horizon City?

Old 02-03-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
^^^

How much does a typical place rent for in Juarez anyway? Did many of the 'refugees' move to Horizon City?
I don't know but from what was written in Post #2, I would guess a significant number -- about 250,000 people left Juarez and the Valley of Juarez, and they didn't all move to within El Paso city limits.

This whole area has been in a big construction boom -- whole subdivisions going up over night even still because of the many thousands moving in for Fort Bliss and many more thousands coming from Juarez.

I doubt they'll cut any thing for Fort Bliss, but it's possible they could, and if some people return to Juarez, I think it might not be the best time for investing.

It's like always though - it can depend a whole lot on location. If the property is right, it can always be a good investment.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:41 PM

729 posts, read 1,238,652 times
hey Hook! long time no speak! Sorry I dont mean to hijack your thread. I spent alot time on Zillow this weekend. Seems to me that Hoizon is good bet since 2007. I kinda narrowed down what I like in a house. The price range for my taste is around $275K to $300K. My search criteria was 5 bed, 2.5 bath one floor home. Horizon is tempting though.

I am shocked how high the house are being sold nowadays in El Paso.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:07 PM

1,628 posts, read 827,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth from ELP View Post
hey Hook! long time no speak! Sorry I dont mean to hijack your thread. I spent alot time on Zillow this weekend. Seems to me that Hoizon is good bet since 2007. I kinda narrowed down what I like in a house. The price range for my taste is around $275K to $300K. My search criteria was 5 bed, 2.5 bath one floor home. Horizon is tempting though.

The problem is, extremely high property taxes.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:45 PM

Default Hey there....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth from ELP View Post

Hi Smooth', welcome back. Where have you been? Were you overseas, or something?

'Sounds like you are going back to El Paso?

Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; 09-25-2012 at 09:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso