U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 04:42 AM

2,456 posts, read 3,222,346 times
lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 07:35 AM

47,586 posts, read 34,426,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafrin View Post
I am currently in Afghanistan as well with 3/1 out of Bliss. Try and get orders to somewhere else if you can. El Paso and Afghanistan are a lot a like, it's dirty and nobody speaks enlgish. The only difference is that there is less trash blowing around Afghanistan and at least here we have automatic weapons and body armor. You will here a lot of people talk about how safe El Paso is and if you hide the crime stats I guess it is. It is hard to charge people with a crime when they run across the boarder. I didn't move my family there when I PCS'd nor do I intend to.

As far as Bliss goes it is a really nice post. Housing on Bliss can be hit or miss. There are some old houses there that are pretty nasty and others that are brand new. From my understanding there is a very long waiting lits. If you are looking off post try and figure out where on Bliss you are being assigned. If you are going to be on Main Post look at the far West side, on the other side of Transmountain. If you are going to 1/1, 2/1, 3/1, 4/1, or Division look at the East side. It will make a huge difference on your commute.

There are a few different Zip codes in the El Paso Area, you can get a lot of good information using Zipskinny.com. Sorry to be so down on El Paso but it is what it is. You can't polish a turd and call it a diamond.
I've seen some pictures from people deployed over in Afghanistan and there is a striking resemblence, it's a desert type landscape and similar mountains.

From what I've seen people tend to really like or else they really dislike El Paso. I think housing is a problem -- especially affordable housing for the military, we've had a huge influx of people from Juarez recently and El Paso has become a very crowded city.

I think El Paso is safe if you're not associated with cartel and criminal gang types but also if you aren't in the bars or on the streets after midnight. Property crime rates are pretty high but I sure don't feel like I'm in any danger -- except from drunk drivers. It's ridiculous how much of that goes on here, hit-and-runs also.

If you're stationed here, you don't really have to love it here -- it's only temporary, but you can make the most of it and get out and see some of the sights nearby such as Carlsbad Caverns, the Gila Wilderness, Lincoln Forest and get in some different kind of hiking.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:49 AM

46 posts, read 48,034 times
Afghanistan and El Paso look nothing alike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso