Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 09:42 AM

643 posts, read 1,312,769 times

Advertisements

I would suggest you set-up a childcare in your home. You can have a certain number of children per adult and you can make a schedule to your liking e.g.; holidays, medical appt's, etc.. Even a childcare in your apartment if that's your living arrangements. People can verify previous employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 09:54 AM

6 posts, read 15,853 times
I was thinking that may be an option, though we would be renting. However, some landlords may be fine with that if I did it on scale where it was just me working and taking care of the correct ratio of kids per adult.

We welcome the cultural diversity and actually would hate to live where there is very little diversity. My concern about needing to be bilingual to work is just regarding our survival. Of course we can improve our Spanish, but that takes time and we would both need jobs right away.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:58 AM

2,619 posts, read 6,134,656 times
The thing you have to be careful, especially on this forum, is generalizations. Will 10,000 get $12+ an hour for being a nanny? Probably not. Can you specifically set something up and make that kind of money? Sure. If you by this forum alone, you would think everyone in El Paso makes below the state average in every field. And that you have to speak Spanish to do so. Not so. I make above the state average in my career and I am do pretty well in my small business. Never speaking Spanish at either occupation. When asked if I speak Spanish, I say no, and when they hear what I offer, I still get the contract. Don't let the crabs paint you an untrue picture.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:46 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCCW View Post
I would suggest you set-up a childcare in your home. You can have a certain number of children per adult and you can make a schedule to your liking e.g.; holidays, medical appt's, etc.. Even a childcare in your apartment if that's your living arrangements. People can verify previous employment.
That's a good suggestion. 5 children at $2 an hour would bring in $10 an hour or if weekend, evening, night care was also offered, customers may pay extra because sometimes off hours care is difficult to find.

In home day care can be a lot nicer for the kids than being sent to a large noisy daycare center.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:53 PM

679 posts, read 1,802,072 times
I would be happy to pay that price! Unfortunately, I do not live in EP. $20 for a career nanny is not unheard of where I come from. Especially if you are bilingual and will teach my Anglo kids Spanish. Good luck, I hope you can find work. I think a good nanny is worth every penny.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:51 PM

430 posts, read 1,339,307 times
As a working mom who only needs daycare for kids during holidays and the summer when school is out.....I pay the YWCA $25 for a 10 hour day. And they feed them. But...with that being said....my children are older and don't need the one on one attention. Younger children do cost more and you may be able to find those who are willing pay more for the specialized care of their children.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:23 PM

6 posts, read 7,545 times
So you are expecting 400-500/ week? Most daycares in this area are less than that a month even for infant care. My Infant Daughter is in the most expensive (best) daycare in the city and it is 675/month but I pay a discounted rate due to our years of being a customer and I pay $600.

I looked at having a nanny and found many people who would come to my home for that a month for about 35hours/week.

There are some really rich people but not many paying 500/week...at least I don't think so...

Old 08-20-2012, 03:56 PM

1 posts, read 869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordvictory View Post
I don't live there, so perhaps I shouldn't butt in here.

But I estimate there's two main demographics in El Paso:

#1 Mid - Low income Hispanics.
#2 Upper middle class non-hispanic minority.

#1 doesn't need nannies because their wives stay home to care for children.
#2 May need nannies, but you'll need to compete with #1, who'll charge lower prices.

Ford Victory (how original of you....), you are absolutely right. You shouldn't provide an opinion if you've never lived in the area. Considering that the city is over 80% Hispanic, the majority of the upper middle class is, indeed, Hispanic (isn't that surprising?)

Or did you think they weren't because of they don't "look" Hispanic?

Assumptions based on ignorance and racist and/or misguided stereotypes are dangerous......you should remember this every time you attempt to speak in this way.

Respectfully,
A very educated, "white" Mexican, from a good family in El Paso

Old 08-21-2012, 12:18 AM

56 posts, read 156,202 times
Mexican culture is the base of El Paso. Nannies are not too common among us because Mexican parents just leave their kids with their grandparents when they go to work. But yeah with wealthy Mexican families coming from Juarez to El Paso to escape the violence there, you can get some work, just dont get your hopes up like I said in Mexican culture Grandmas play the role of babysitter.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:20 AM

56 posts, read 156,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjd1989 View Post
I was thinking that may be an option, though we would be renting. However, some landlords may be fine with that if I did it on scale where it was just me working and taking care of the correct ratio of kids per adult.

We welcome the cultural diversity and actually would hate to live where there is very little diversity. My concern about needing to be bilingual to work is just regarding our survival. Of course we can improve our Spanish, but that takes time and we would both need jobs right away.
There is very little diversity in El Paso lol. Mexicans and Tigua indians is all you will find here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso